44 magnum - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 44 magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 270 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Means it will not stabilize heavy bullets. 240gr is around the limit and not allways great then.

Old 04-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

I just checked the Marlin website and the newer 1894 rifles have deep cut Ballard rifling with a standard 1:38 twist. They dropped the Microgroove. Interesting that S&W revolvers have a 1:18.75 twist.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 04-18-2012, 11:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
I just checked the Marlin website and the newer 1894 rifles have deep cut Ballard rifling with a standard 1:38 twist. They dropped the Microgroove. Interesting that S&W revolvers have a 1:18.75 twist.
That's jibberish to me, haha! What does the 1:38 mean?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2178 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

The rifling makes 1 full turn in 38". That is very slow. The S&W pistol rifling makes 1 full turn in 18.75" which is a lot faster. There is a formula that will tell you what the optimal twist rate is for a specific bullet weight, length and velocity.
http://kwk.us/twist.html
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/06/calculating-bullet-rpm-spin-rates-and-stability/

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:57 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
The rifling makes 1 full turn in 38". That is very slow. The S&W pistol rifling makes 1 full turn in 18.75" which is a lot faster. There is a formula that will tell you what the optimal twist rate is for a specific bullet weight, length and velocity.
http://kwk.us/twist.html
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2008/06/calculating-bullet-rpm-spin-rates-and-stability/
Oh ok gotcha! Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #16

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 35

You won't be disappointed in using the Marlin 44mag with 240gr. They pack quite the whallop. My little 44 carries a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope and it's very good for handling that kick.
DON'T GET ANY. REPEAT. DON'T GET ANY, lever action Marlin from 2008 or newer. This will make that Marlin TOO CLOSE to the timeline that Remington took them over and messed all the lever actions up. The new lever actions are a mess, and that's a shame as Marlin was at the top of food chain with lever actions, but not now. Get something at least from the year 2007 and older(older being even better). You won't regret it for it's reliability, fit and finish or accuracy. Marlin's serial number is how to tell it's date of manufacturer. Don't rely on barrel saying Marlin--Made in ??? or the JM(barrel stamp) as older Marlin barrels were used up, with Remington's takeover. New Marlin barrels will say MR(barrel stamp) on barrel even though barrel still says Marlin on it. It's weird as to how Remington can use Marlin for it's lever actions even though Marlin does not make guns now.
Del

Old 04-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphman
You won't be disappointed in using the Marlin 44mag with 240gr. They pack quite the whallop. My little 44 carries a Redfield Revolution 2-7x33 scope and it's very good for handling that kick.
DON'T GET ANY. REPEAT. DON'T GET ANY, lever action Marlin from 2008 or newer. This will make that Marlin TOO CLOSE to the timeline that Remington took them over and messed all the lever actions up. The new lever actions are a mess, and that's a shame as Marlin was at the top of food chain with lever actions, but not now. Get something at least from the year 2007 and older(older being even better). You won't regret it for it's reliability, fit and finish or accuracy. Marlin's serial number is how to tell it's date of manufacturer. Don't rely on barrel saying Marlin--Made in ??? or the JM(barrel stamp) as older Marlin barrels were used up, with Remington's takeover. New Marlin barrels will say MR(barrel stamp) on barrel even though barrel still says Marlin on it. It's weird as to how Remington can use Marlin for it's lever actions even though Marlin does not make guns now.
Del
That's very good to know! I looked at a brand new one and wasn't really impressed which is why I was considering the Henry too! Do you know what serial number range I should look for by chance?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:49 AM   #18

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by hickracefan View Post
That's very good to know! I looked at a brand new one and wasn't really impressed which is why I was considering the Henry too! Do you know what serial number range I should look for by chance?
Yes. Go to Marlin Owners website and go to "Date of Manufacture" page and look for Serial Number Dates. Then do a printout of serial number/alphabet codes for dates. My 44mag has a starting # of 2202xxx and take this # and start at the year of 2000 and substract 22 from that and you'll get, that my rifle was made in 1978.
On other hand, my 1965 Western Field 30-30(made by Marlin) has a Serial # starting with AAxxx, and using this serial # it was made in 1965. All Marlin's serial # use this Date of Manufacturer list for all it's calibers.
Del

Old 04-20-2012, 02:19 AM   #19

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I have the stainless Marlin. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's one of the best lever action rifles I've ever shot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 04-20-2012, 09:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie
I have the stainless Marlin. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. It's one of the best lever action rifles I've ever shot.
Now is your gun manufactured before or after the merger? I was curious how it operated? The one I looked a few months ago the lever cycle wasn't very smooth and lever had some play, a little too much play, from side to side.