44 magnum
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 44 magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 44 magnum

Hi! I'm looking at getting a .44 magnum lever action for my next deer rifle. I have a .300 WSM for long shots and looking for a close quarters gun. The best places for deer on my property is in some dense areas where shots will be no more than 60 yds. I killed a nice buck this year with my 300 at 40 yds and bullet never expanded and deer ran alot further than it should have. A buddy let me shoot his and fell in love with it and it has great knock down power as it rolled a 140lb deer shooting through brush.

With that being said, I have narrowed it down to two models 1) Marlin 1894 (orginal or cowboy) 2) Henry Big Boy. I'm considering putting a small scope on it but would like to just use open sights. I prefer the side discharge as opposed to the Winchester's. Anyone have any recommendations or hunt with either of these models?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 563

I had a Marlin and would by it over the others unless you are planning to shoot cast lead bullets. I am not sure if they still have the micro groove riffling which works fine with jacketed bullets but not so hot with lead. For the short range scope look at the Bushnell Banner 1-4X shotgun scope.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-18-2012, 12:18 AM   #3

Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about Marlin! I've held a Henry and it pretty heavy with solid brass receiver. Also that brass will reflect any light and potentially scare off game and with my luck it would happen, haha! My buddy swears by Hornady 240gr hollow points. It's pretty brushy where I hunt and those leverevolutions will deflect. But I'm not too experienced with cast bullets and what not and just looking for some opinions...

Old 04-18-2012, 01:48 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 563

I used 240 grain flat nosed soft points rather than HP. It was never more than a 100yard gun. You can expect about 400 fps increase in velocity and HP might be too fragile close in.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #5

What brand of bullet did you use or do you reload? I always wondered about if the HP hit some brush if it would expand before coming in contact with it target? Like any gun, it'll be trial and error to see what load the gun shoots best.

Old 04-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #6

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have an old Browning Mdl 92 .44 Mag. These have Winchester Micro-Groove barrels. They have a 1-38 twist and will shoot 240 gr cast WW bullets OK. The little Browning is very accurate with iron sights.

Old 04-18-2012, 08:56 AM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

JMO,but...the micro grooves have a more narrow load window.IOWs...you have fewer choices on what loads they like.Its that moreso,than outright accuracy.Thats mainly with cast bullets...but would say its also evident in shooting jacketed.Some brrls can have great acc...others,finding that load can take forever?

The choice of a rifle vs a handgun,when considering terminal ballistics....will,IMO lean twds the rifle.Not so much for any velocity increase,but the window availible for getting bullets to,"do the business".I've killed alot of game with .44 hanguns.....even though I still use HP's,they can be a real frustrating topic.Compared to a rifle,getting a HP to open up at handgun velocity's.....and the keyword is "reliably"...can be a crap shoot.I'd just as soon use a heavy cast bullet with a good flat/sharp meplat.I think they hit harder.Intheshop

Old 04-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #8
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

IMHO i would go with the Marlin. Blued is the way to go for a hunting gun, and they come drilled and tapped for a scope from the factory.

The Henry big boy has one of the best triggers i have ever squeezed, but are far too bright and shiny for hunting nor do they come tapped for a scope.

As far as ammo goes i use hornaday 240 JHP sitting on 22gr of 4227. (also have a great load using 2400, just not running down to the reloading room to get how many grains right now) PURE DEVASTATION!! Shoots under 1 moa!! When shooting pumpkins at 50 yards was making 12 guage slugs look puny and insignificant!!

Now of course this is out of my Ruger M-44 Carbine and not a lever gun...but the load is DEADLY!

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 04-18-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj
IMHO i would go with the Marlin. Blued is the way to go for a hunting gun, and they come drilled and tapped for a scope from the factory.

The Henry big boy has one of the best triggers i have ever squeezed, but are far too bright and shiny for hunting nor do they come tapped for a scope.

As far as ammo goes i use hornaday 240 JHP sitting on 22gr of 4227. (also have a great load using 2400, just not running down to the reloading room to get how many grains right now) PURE DEVASTATION!! Shoots under 1 moa!! When shooting pumpkins at 50 yards was making 12 guage slugs look puny and insignificant!!

Now of course this is out of my Ruger M-44 Carbine and not a lever gun...but the load is DEADLY!
Yeah I feel the Marlin is a better choice! Ive always wanted a cowboy gun and feel there is a little cowboy in all of us, whether one wants to admit it or not. I want a semi light and compact gun for close range and seen a few deer that have taken with a 44 mag a little under 100 yds with HP and you could fit a softball in both entrance and exit wounds...

Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #10

One other question about the twist rate of the marlin. I hear people saying the 1:38" is too slow or something? What is meant by that?