Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 44 mag bullets for hog hunting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 44 mag bullets for hog hunting

I am planning my first hog hunting next week, and am wanting to know what bullet weight is best for this animal. I will be taking a S&W 629 classic with 6.5 inch barrel. Is a hollow point going to be best or will a soft point .I have several and my pistol shoots them all well . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-04-2010, 03:58 AM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Took two hogs this year with a 10 in. Contender this year both at about 45 yards. I was shooting a 250 grain RCBS cast Kieth bullet that the mold had been modified to a hollow point. The first hog was trotting toward me and the impact was not perfect and the hog ran off and took a second shot. The second shot was a broad side with complete penetration and the hog dropped. The second hog came out, broadside shot at 45 yards, complete penetration on a hart lung shot and the hog dropped in its tracks. The hogs were shot within 5 minutes of one another. Our property is literally over run with hogs. Both hogs were about 100 pounds. Two years ago I took another 100 pounder with a 275 Gr Lyman cast bullet, wide flat nose design with excellent results again. That Lyman mold is now only available as their Devestator hollow point.

In the past years I have gotten away from commercial jacketed bullets in my handguns and have gone to cast bullets exclusively because I enjoy casting and producing my own ammo. That being said. I don't think when you are shooting something like a .44 that it makes that much difference, cast or jacketed. If using commercially loaded ammo I would select nothing lighter then 240 grain slugs, 265 grains better and the 300 grainers better yet especially if you get a really big pig. At typical handgun ranges trajectory isn't the issue, penetration is. Expansion at handgun velocities can be iffy and I would be more concerned about penetration opting for the heaviest bullet that shot well in my handgun.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1083 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 507

I've had real good luck with Cast Performance 300gr cast bullets. I shoot them out of my Taurus Raging Bull,and Winchester 94AE.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Txhillbilly I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 caliber (in addition to my handguns) that I shoot the casts in. When I first tried them I was concerned that the Micro groove barrel would not handle the lead bullets, but they performed very well giving me 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. I have shot better groups eith jacketed bullets, but for me that is getting close to my maximum range at which I will use that outfit and that range will produce a hart shot every time. The Lyman mold that I have is a gas check design and that may contribute to the good accuracy in the Marlin. I took one nice 8 point buck with this rig several years ago with a broad side hart lung shot with excellent results. Deer went about 20 yards and piled up; my 06 would not have proeuced better results and shot up a whole lot more meat!

Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2555 Times on 1342 Posts
Likes Given: 192

The cylinder on the S&W is too short to load the real heavies to any decent velocity. I would go with a good hard cast 240-250gr flat nose or Keith type SWC loaded as fast as you can get it (1300ish).

A lot of people will advise the 300 gr bullets are the ticket, but you have to load them so deep in the case to fit in the S&W cylinder you will be lucky to get 1100 fps.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 03-04-2010, 01:49 PM   #6

Liked 83 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My favorite load for hunting with the .44 mag is a 240gr hard cast semi-wadcutter over 20.0grs. of 2400. This load has never failed me on a hunt. I use it in my 10 5/8" mod-29, my super blackhawk and my T/C Contender. I would not use a jacketed soft point or hollow point on boar due to their thick and tough shoulders. I had 2 frontal shoulder shots on a charging boar with 240gr jacked soft points not penetrate the thick shoulder plates many moons ago and have not had that problem with hard cast semi-wadcutters. I always get good penetration with this load.

Jim..............

Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1083 Times on 622 Posts
Likes Given: 507

+1 on the 240gr SWC loads also.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Naturally my 1st choice would be a hardcast SWC. Barring that, the soft point should penetrate better than the hollow point. If I was you faced with that choice I'd use the soft point out of the 2 choices you listed.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 04-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

In .44 Mag, I have had excellent results with the el cheapo Remington UMC 180gr JSP's. Out of a 7.5" Redhawk.