Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Hunting Forum (
-   -   44 mag bullets for hog hunting (

bigdaddy 03-04-2010 01:10 AM

44 mag bullets for hog hunting
I am planning my first hog hunting next week, and am wanting to know what bullet weight is best for this animal. I will be taking a S&W 629 classic with 6.5 inch barrel. Is a hollow point going to be best or will a soft point .I have several and my pistol shoots them all well . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tuner 03-04-2010 04:58 AM

Took two hogs this year with a 10 in. Contender this year both at about 45 yards. I was shooting a 250 grain RCBS cast Kieth bullet that the mold had been modified to a hollow point. The first hog was trotting toward me and the impact was not perfect and the hog ran off and took a second shot. The second shot was a broad side with complete penetration and the hog dropped. The second hog came out, broadside shot at 45 yards, complete penetration on a hart lung shot and the hog dropped in its tracks. The hogs were shot within 5 minutes of one another. Our property is literally over run with hogs. Both hogs were about 100 pounds. Two years ago I took another 100 pounder with a 275 Gr Lyman cast bullet, wide flat nose design with excellent results again. That Lyman mold is now only available as their Devestator hollow point.

In the past years I have gotten away from commercial jacketed bullets in my handguns and have gone to cast bullets exclusively because I enjoy casting and producing my own ammo. That being said. I don't think when you are shooting something like a .44 that it makes that much difference, cast or jacketed. If using commercially loaded ammo I would select nothing lighter then 240 grain slugs, 265 grains better and the 300 grainers better yet especially if you get a really big pig. At typical handgun ranges trajectory isn't the issue, penetration is. Expansion at handgun velocities can be iffy and I would be more concerned about penetration opting for the heaviest bullet that shot well in my handgun.

Txhillbilly 03-04-2010 05:20 AM

I've had real good luck with Cast Performance 300gr cast bullets. I shoot them out of my Taurus Raging Bull,and Winchester 94AE.

Tuner 03-04-2010 01:17 PM

Txhillbilly I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 caliber (in addition to my handguns) that I shoot the casts in. When I first tried them I was concerned that the Micro groove barrel would not handle the lead bullets, but they performed very well giving me 2 to 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards. I have shot better groups eith jacketed bullets, but for me that is getting close to my maximum range at which I will use that outfit and that range will produce a hart shot every time. The Lyman mold that I have is a gas check design and that may contribute to the good accuracy in the Marlin. I took one nice 8 point buck with this rig several years ago with a broad side hart lung shot with excellent results. Deer went about 20 yards and piled up; my 06 would not have proeuced better results and shot up a whole lot more meat!

robocop10mm 03-04-2010 01:44 PM

The cylinder on the S&W is too short to load the real heavies to any decent velocity. I would go with a good hard cast 240-250gr flat nose or Keith type SWC loaded as fast as you can get it (1300ish).

A lot of people will advise the 300 gr bullets are the ticket, but you have to load them so deep in the case to fit in the S&W cylinder you will be lucky to get 1100 fps.

masterPsmith 03-04-2010 02:49 PM

My favorite load for hunting with the .44 mag is a 240gr hard cast semi-wadcutter over 20.0grs. of 2400. This load has never failed me on a hunt. I use it in my 10 5/8" mod-29, my super blackhawk and my T/C Contender. I would not use a jacketed soft point or hollow point on boar due to their thick and tough shoulders. I had 2 frontal shoulder shots on a charging boar with 240gr jacked soft points not penetrate the thick shoulder plates many moons ago and have not had that problem with hard cast semi-wadcutters. I always get good penetration with this load.

Txhillbilly 03-04-2010 03:53 PM

+1 on the 240gr SWC loads also.

stalkingbear 03-04-2010 04:52 PM

Naturally my 1st choice would be a hardcast SWC. Barring that, the soft point should penetrate better than the hollow point. If I was you faced with that choice I'd use the soft point out of the 2 choices you listed.

glock2740 04-05-2010 08:14 PM

In .44 Mag, I have had excellent results with the el cheapo Remington UMC 180gr JSP's. Out of a 7.5" Redhawk.