Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .40 S&W ammunition for hunting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

OK, lets have a 22lr for deer hunting thread.

It works.

Or a 30-06 for Turkey hunting.

It works too.

Should we continue rationalizing irrational behavior?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #42

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

A 40 cal is great for a backup weapon. But as a primary weapon to kill a deer I don't know about that. I have seen people take deer with a 10mm. If the deer had run off they wouldn't have found it. Use a shotgun slug or suitable rifle for deer and hogs. Your pistol is for dispatching wounded game or places that are to thick to shoulder a long gun. Use JSP ammo for hunting. Hollow points don't penetrate well enough and FMJ lacks expansion.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-20-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Old 11-20-2012, 11:28 AM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am probably going to get flamed yet again but here goes, this past weekend was the last of firearms deer season here in Missouri and of course I was out hunting with my son and nephew he had his 30-30 my nephew had a .410 with slugs and I was carrying a Hi-Point JCP as we had seen nothing and were walking back to the 4-runner we saw a doe at abt 50 yards away in the brush. My son and nephew did not want to try the shot since it was thick undergrowth so of course I decided to belly crawl to get closer I got to abt 36 yards and had an open shot and of course took it.
The doe was looking straight at me so it was another head shot she jumped straight in the air then took abt 10 steps and expired. Believe it or not.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #44

Liked 31 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed
OK, lets have a 22lr for deer hunting thread.

It works.

Or a 30-06 for Turkey hunting.

It works too.

Should we continue rationalizing irrational behavior?
Just cause you don't feel it's right doesn't make it wrong, if it takes the animal out humanly then there should be no crying about it. Unless your the commissioner of hunting and have all say about what goes on in it. Should we keep whining about what other people do just cause you wouldn't do it?

Last edited by gladesbassin; 11-20-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:25 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdanieloffroad
I am probably going to get flamed yet again but here goes, this past weekend was the last of firearms deer season here in Missouri and of course I was out hunting with my son and nephew he had his 30-30 my nephew had a .410 with slugs and I was carrying a Hi-Point JCP as we had seen nothing and were walking back to the 4-runner we saw a doe at abt 50 yards away in the brush. My son and nephew did not want to try the shot since it was thick undergrowth so of course I decided to belly crawl to get closer I got to abt 36 yards and had an open shot and of course took it.
The doe was looking straight at me so it was another head shot she jumped straight in the air then took abt 10 steps and expired. Believe it or not.
People like to critique other people without even seeing the actions especially on the Internet. Plenty of know it alls and folks who feel they can and will do anything better than you. If your way work that's awesome and I congratulate you since would would be hesitant on taking an animal at distance with a pistol.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #46

Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Do we need an online data base of reasons to ban hunting? This right here is ammo for the antis to use. Oh this guy is an unethical
Hunter. Using wimpy ammo for animals and causing undue suffering. If you don't have enough respect for the animals, to give them a clean humane death as possible, you don't need to be hunting.

Don't like my opinion, fine, I don't like yours.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 03:46 PM   #47

Lmao, yea let's create a database. Plenty of folks use pistols for hunting nowadays. Just because it's not a single shot wooden stock firearm doesn't make it wrong. It also doesn't give the anti's room to cry, I've seen plenty of deer taken with a rifle and drop, convulse and die. Not every animals dies the same way some might run some might drop like a sack of taters.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #48

Using big enough calibers.

Oh dern....

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kytowboater
Using big enough calibers.
Man used to hunt deer with pointy sticks. Just saying

Old 11-20-2012, 04:29 PM   #50

Man also used to wipe their ass with their hand, it still doesn't make it ok.

Oh dern....

axxe55 Likes This 
Closed Thread