.40 S&W ammunition for hunting - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .40 S&W ammunition for hunting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 02:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytim View Post
All my hunting has been pretty close quarters, never even had a shot at anything further than 90 yards.
Me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a View Post
OK I am going to hold back from calling you an idiot douche bag and many other funny yet insulting names.
I'm not.

Quote:
Nope I am going to give you FACTS.

1. You should have at least 1000ft lb of energy at the point of impact to kill large game animals like Deer.

2. Deer are a lot tougher than your normal everyday bad guy getting shot while trying to take your car. Most SD shooting take place at 7 yards or less. that is 21' if you didn't know.

3. Lets look at the specs of your 40 smith at 20 yards. OK this is for Speer Gold Dot 180gr factory SD Ammo.

As you can see from the above pictures the 40 S&W IS not suitable for hunting at any distance. Could it kill a deer maybe. Should you do it NO. Why because as a hunter you should be out to respect the fact that a game animal is going to give its life to help feed you and your family. The fact that that animal is giving up its life to keep you and yours healthy you should have the utmost respect and try to cause as little pain and suffering as you can. Also run a Hornady HITS calc on the 40 smith and tell me what it comes out too. I did and got 288 it says 500 and under is for small game only.

Also if you look at the above chart, how much hold over are you going to need to hit a 6" bull on a deer? Oh yes my chart says 22 clicks. You don't have clicks on glock sights.

4. What is your accuracy with your glock at 20 yards? Can you put 100% of your shots in the 6" target that is the kill zone on a deer? I would suggest you get to where you can shoot 3 to 4" groups at 25 to 30 yards with your glock before you trying hunting.

I don't care how big a deer is. I have seen small deer shot with a 30-06 with a 165gr hunting bullet take a shot to the lungs and run off for over 300 yards.

I have seen coyotes take a hit from a 22-250 or 243 at 200 yards pouring blood out its chest and still run 300 yards before dying.

So please think twice before doing what you talk of doing.
Well stated.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6625 Times on 3520 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
OK I am going to hold back from calling you an idiot douche bag and many other funny yet insulting names.

Nope I am going to give you FACTS.

1. You should have at least 1000ft lb of energy at the point of impact to kill large game animals like Deer.

2. Deer are a lot tougher than your normal everyday bad guy getting shot while trying to take your car. Most SD shooting take place at 7 yards or less. that is 21' if you didn't know.

3. Lets look at the specs of your 40 smith at 20 yards. OK this is for Speer Gold Dot 180gr factory SD Ammo.

As you can see from the above pictures the 40 S&W IS not suitable for hunting at any distance. Could it kill a deer maybe. Should you do it NO. Why because as a hunter you should be out to respect the fact that a game animal is going to give its life to help feed you and your family. The fact that that animal is giving up its life to keep you and yours healthy you should have the utmost respect and try to cause as little pain and suffering as you can. Also run a Hornady HITS calc on the 40 smith and tell me what it comes out too. I did and got 288 it says 500 and under is for small game only.

Also if you look at the above chart, how much hold over are you going to need to hit a 6" bull on a deer? Oh yes my chart says 22 clicks. You don't have clicks on glock sights.

4. What is your accuracy with your glock at 20 yards? Can you put 100% of your shots in the 6" target that is the kill zone on a deer? I would suggest you get to where you can shoot 3 to 4" groups at 25 to 30 yards with your glock before you trying hunting.

I don't care how big a deer is. I have seen small deer shot with a 30-06 with a 165gr hunting bullet take a shot to the lungs and run off for over 300 yards.

I have seen coyotes take a hit from a 22-250 or 243 at 200 yards pouring blood out its chest and still run 300 yards before dying.

So please think twice before doing what you talk of doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatoth View Post
^+1,I have heard it was you needed only 800 ft lbs energy at point of impact to humainly take deer with a firearm,but anyways,even with a hot Buffalo Bore round you are still only at 582 ft lbs energy.Is it possibly to take a deer cleanly with a .40--yes,is it likely--no.
i agree with both of their statements. ive seen people take deer with a 223 cleanly and not so cleanly. .40cal handguns do not even come close to the power levels of a 223. for a clean ethical kill 44mag is the minimum in my opinion for handgun hunting.

on a semi regular basis there are posts by folks wanting to use subpar rounds (in terms of hunting). why exactly wouldnt you pick a rifle or slug gun or even blackpowder rifle for hunting. if you want to handgun hunt why not the 44 or bigger??

if your looking for a challenge do it with a flintlock. please just dont use a caliber that is clearly too small for hunting medium game.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-18-2011, 03:39 PM   #13

Ok, thanks for all the input everybody. I guess I'll Just wait and save up to buy a stronger gun for next season.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:56 PM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Ok, thanks for all the input everybody. I guess I'll Just wait and save up to buy a stronger gun for next season.
I gave you a thumbs up; Many people would have responded very differently

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 07-18-2011, 04:15 PM   #15

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
I gave you a thumbs up; Many people would have responded very differently
Indeed. So did I.

Quote:
May I suggest a rifle as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-18-2011, 04:26 PM   #16

Liked 811 Times on 520 Posts
Likes Given: 249

"Ok, thanks for all the input everybody. I guess I'll Just wait and save up to buy a stronger gun for next season. "
I agree with mesinge2 - you are a good man to admit you were maybe wrong(many on the 'net (and real life) never admit to being wrong).

Old 07-18-2011, 04:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN

May I suggest a rifle as well.
I have a .243 winchester model 70 that I do alot of hunting with, I also have a bow too. I was just hoping too add something different into the mix.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Big bore magnum wheelgun!!

I did see Ted Nugent take a deer with his 1911 10mm.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #19

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Big bore magnum wheelgun!!

I did see Ted Nugent take a deer with his 1911 10mm.
Thats because Ted is a bad ass.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #20

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Look at the ballistics of a 10mm far and above a 40 smith.

Now I am sure he shot it over bait on his own property where he raises deer like cattle and well took all the skill out of it.

Closed Thread