.40 S&W ammunition for hunting
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .40 S&W ammunition for hunting

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .40 S&W ammunition for hunting

I recently purchased a Glock 22 and I am planing on trying to hunt with it. Could anybody suggest good ammo to hunt hogs and/or whitetail?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-18-2011, 02:20 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytim View Post
I recently purchased a Glock 22 and I am planing on trying to hunt with it. Could anybody suggest good ammo to hunt hogs and/or whitetail?
Most likely not the .40 S&W...few, if any, non magnum pistol rounds are powerful enough to humanely take game, not to mention your safety. Also, check your state laws regarding use of a semi-auto pistol for hunting...may not be legal.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 07-18-2011 at 02:24 AM.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

Most likely not the .40 S&W...few, if any, non magnum pistol rounds are powerful enough to humanely take game, not to mention your safety. Also, check your state laws regarding use of a semi-auto pistol for hunting...may not be legal.
I believe a well placed shot would be perfectly humane. I checked and it is legal in my state. I wouldn't try any further than 15 yards for a deer. 20 for a hog.

Last edited by Tinytim; 07-18-2011 at 03:27 AM.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:03 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Hard to get within that range of a deer and sure as hell wouldn't get that close to a hog. You really need a bigger round for hunting, like 44 magnum, .454 Casul. The .40 round is a good man stopper but not meant for taking game. I know great bow hunters that have a hard time getting close to game.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #5

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I shot a doe with my 4095 Hi-Point Carbine a few years ago. One shot in the chest at about 20 yards and she was down in less than 50 yards. The carbine moves that bullet quite a bit faster than a handgun though. I would not do this with a pistol and certainly never with a hog!

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 07-18-2011, 04:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctherock
Hard to get within that range of a deer and sure as hell wouldn't get that close to a hog. You really need a bigger round for hunting, like 44 magnum, .454 Casul. The .40 round is a good man stopper but not meant for taking game. I know great bow hunters that have a hard time getting close to game.
Well I am a bow hunter and I can get that close to a deer or hog. I know this for a fact cause I've gotten closer than that too deer,hogs, and turkeys. All my hunting has been pretty close quarters, never even had a shot at anything further than 90 yards.

Old 07-18-2011, 04:38 AM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytim View Post
Well I am a bow hunter and I can get that close to a deer or hog. I know this for a fact cause I've gotten closer than that too deer,hogs, and turkeys. All my hunting has been pretty close quarters, never even had a shot at anything further than 90 yards.
I live in the northwest where the hunting is in thick trees and clear cuts. Little harder to get as close to the game but it can be done.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:50 AM   #8

Oh and one thing I failed to mention is that our deer are a lot smaller than deer up north

Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

OK I am going to hold back from calling you an idiot douche bag and many other funny yet insulting names.

Nope I am going to give you FACTS.

1. You should have at least 1000ft lb of energy at the point of impact to kill large game animals like Deer.

2. Deer are a lot tougher than your normal everyday bad guy getting shot while trying to take your car. Most SD shooting take place at 7 yards or less. that is 21' if you didn't know.

3. Lets look at the specs of your 40 smith at 20 yards. OK this is for Speer Gold Dot 180gr factory SD Ammo.

As you can see from the above pictures the 40 S&W IS not suitable for hunting at any distance. Could it kill a deer maybe. Should you do it NO. Why because as a hunter you should be out to respect the fact that a game animal is going to give its life to help feed you and your family. The fact that that animal is giving up its life to keep you and yours healthy you should have the utmost respect and try to cause as little pain and suffering as you can. Also run a Hornady HITS calc on the 40 smith and tell me what it comes out too. I did and got 288 it says 500 and under is for small game only.

Also if you look at the above chart, how much hold over are you going to need to hit a 6" bull on a deer? Oh yes my chart says 22 clicks. You don't have clicks on glock sights.

4. What is your accuracy with your glock at 20 yards? Can you put 100% of your shots in the 6" target that is the kill zone on a deer? I would suggest you get to where you can shoot 3 to 4" groups at 25 to 30 yards with your glock before you trying hunting.

I don't care how big a deer is. I have seen small deer shot with a 30-06 with a 165gr hunting bullet take a shot to the lungs and run off for over 300 yards.

I have seen coyotes take a hit from a 22-250 or 243 at 200 yards pouring blood out its chest and still run 300 yards before dying.

So please think twice before doing what you talk of doing.

Last edited by cpttango30; 07-18-2011 at 01:45 PM.
manta Likes This 
Old 07-18-2011, 01:35 PM   #10

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

^+1,I have heard it was you needed only 800 ft lbs energy at point of impact to humainly take deer with a firearm,but anyways,even with a hot Buffalo Bore round you are still only at 582 ft lbs energy.Is it possibly to take a deer cleanly with a .40--yes,is it likely--no.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Closed Thread