345 yard kill with AR-15 no scope - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 345 yard kill with AR-15 no scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 09:24 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 702 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Fat bottom girls make the rockin world go round.....
That fanny ain't no naughty nanny!! Just pure redneck!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 11-18-2013, 10:39 PM   #52
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1733 Times on 960 Posts
Likes Given: 5280

I have read the concerns about the caliber, distance, bullet and have concluded that the deer didn't know that he had a chance after all.

Too bad he can't try it again, considering the shape he's in. He would've had a better chance his second time around.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #53

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
When we could run dogs in this area to control the deer population the deer were just as big as up north. Now we have 50 deer to the square mile. Deer are very small now. We have a lot of white and piebald deer. There is only one way to have a lot of white deer, inbreeding.
Running Dogs has nothing to do with controlling populations. I have done both and IMHO it is much easier to kill deer still hunting. All you need to do is wait for a group of does and start shooting the biggest/oldest ones first. The yearlings will just run around confused. I think the trophy hunting fever that has grown over the past 10 years and few hunters has led to the population problems we have in the state. I kill around 25-30 does a year (I use all the meat) just to keep the population healthy on our farms. Note to those not from NC we have unlimited doe tags in the eastern part of the state.
Old 11-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #54

Liked 224 Times on 180 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Lucky you got them hopefully , under control. These type people even when they need you like to still act like it never happened. Can't see it , don't hear it all is ok with in there little world.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:36 PM   #55

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post

I will add a little something I was taught once...warm blooded animals tend to be larger in the North, not due to the food they eat, but rather a biological/evolutionary adaption in that larger animals retain their heat better than small animals. Cold blooded animals tend to be larger in the south...again, due to genetics and a longer growing season. I can not say for sure which is true, but my own personal experience shows that that this generalization is largely accurate. Deer are larger in the north than the south...along with many other animals. Bass and snakes are larger in the south than the north.
Very true, that's why here in western pa we can see some whitetail at 200+ lbs

Old 11-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #56

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Got to say that's a hell of a shot. OP you say you made it then I reckon you did. Having home field advantage can hep a lot. Around here I'd be very hard pressed to get anywhere near that long a shot. Even if I had a place to do it here in hill country I don't think I would have done it with the equipment you used. But it seems it worked out so way to go.

Average long distance for deer here is around 100 yards with the practical average of about 50. I shoot my AR pretty well but I don't know if I'd want to hunt deer with it. But I have rifles here that I know will pretty much fold them up in place so I guess that might have a lot do do with it.

Ground most of it? Man I love a good roast. We did used to make a good bit of deer and turkey jerky here though.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 753 Times on 504 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Where I lived in NY we usually got a nuisance permit for our farm so we could shoot about 60 Whitetails a year to protect our crops(All of the meat is picked up by DEC and given to shelters. Most of our shooting was done from the cab of a tractor with a 222 rem but my stepdad had a 300 wby mag we used for some long shots I think the longest kill I had was around 430 meters with that rifle if I recall at 16 y/o. I was a shooter though I mean I grew up with a rifle in my hands and competed all the time locally. My stepdads pistol team was the only civilian team at the time to ever beat the West Point cadets(Who had an unfair advantage over everyone they competed against at the time) so I had a good trainer. I don't know if I would have ever used 5.56 on a deer at 300+, but I have used it on human targets at that range and it worked for the most part. OP nice shot next time id suggest using a larger caliber and proper deer loads before posting it on ftf because as you see people will get heated.