345 yard kill with AR-15 no scope - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 345 yard kill with AR-15 no scope

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Yea well mil training at hitting targets at 600 yards ain't the same a quality hunting shot with less room for error. Atleast you all ready know the caliber, distance and bullet was sub standard so I guess no more is needed. So maybe you will try for your own sake to shoot a group free standing at a fixed silhouette of a deer. Only heart lung shots should count. Now can I make that shot standing with no support , it would be foolish luck to make a shoot in the lower lung heart area ?? With a standing bi-pod sure. Would I try on a deer , with a set up like yours ? Heck know I would not to try.

You are the one that sounded like the range warrior with all the boasting. I know when to let game walk on. Theres all ways other chances and a more ethical shot.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #22

Liked 2178 Times on 1287 Posts
Likes Given: 473

The only ammo restriction I've seen for deer hunting is Texas is that rimfire ammo is not allowed for hunting of deer.

That is all the regs say. No other caliber limits, bullet types or anything. No magazine capacity restrictions either. Suppressors are legal for hunting also. Just no full auto .

Old 11-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2032 Times on 1061 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Impressive shot. To say the least, I know a lot of really good shooters and none of them would have attempted that shot. I would never use 55 gr anything for large game. Even small large game like that tiny buck.

Also, at 345, how high did you have to aim? 55 gr .223 drops over 2 feet at that distance.............to be honest that is some of the luckiest shooting I have ever seen. How many shots was that again?

Last edited by chloeshooter; 11-11-2013 at 01:24 PM.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:29 PM   #24

Liked 1127 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Impressive shot. To say the least, I know a lot of really good shooters and none of them would have attempted that shot. I would never use 55 gr anything for large game. Even small large game like that tiny buck.

Also, at 345, how high did you have to aim? 55 gr .223 drops over 2 feet at that distance.............to be honest that is some of the luckiest shooting I have ever seen. How many shots was that again?
Just depends on your zero . This is a 25 yard zero . Very little drop at that distance .
This is another reason I like to zero at 25 yards

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Last edited by purehavoc; 11-11-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #25

Liked 1127 Times on 732 Posts
Likes Given: 2015

Even at 500 the drop is not terrible with a 25 yard zero but its running out of energy pretty quickly

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 11-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2531 Times on 1236 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

Nathan,

Good shot! Congrats! I agree with Gator as well as what you mentioned about clean kills with a 223. But in this case it worked well for you. But a rare occurrence I might add and especialy the distance and the way the shot was taken. You are either a D*** good shot or very luckie! I would like to believe the first! Anyway, the bullet must have hit bone in order to cause an exit wound like in the picture. And you are correct! I hunt North Texas and the deer are much bigger than those in the South. When all you eat is brush to survive there is not a lot of nourishment from it. The gus and ladies of the Midwest and North are blessed with big bodied deer. But as stated some Texas deer have decent racks on them. Once again Good Shot!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

purehavoc Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #27

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Your choice of caliber and bullets is up to you. My thoughts are only how do you correct a 27" drop on a deer with a safe 6" kill area? Iron sights at 300 meters will cover a small deer's vitals. I am interested in how you make safe sight corrections at that range?

Old 11-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Just depends on your zero . This is a 25 yard zero . Very little drop at that distance .
This is another reason I like to zero at 25 yards

At 350, you are looking at 450 ft/lbs of energy. That is not near sufficient enough to consistently take down large game. (750+ is what I use as a guideline, many use 1000). I believe we have a definite difference in definition of the term 'humane kill' here. To many it doesn't matter whether the deer suffers, or not. To many of us, a clean and human kill is the 'deal' we make with mother nature.

Funny, no one posts about the ones that ran off or when they took 20 shots to get a hit. Your chart makes my point very well.
People Like This 
Old 11-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1956 Times on 1153 Posts
Likes Given: 923

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
At 350, you are looking at 450 ft/lbs of energy. That is not near sufficient enough to consistently take down large game. (750+ is what I use as a guideline, many use 1000). I believe we have a definite difference in definition of the term 'humane kill' here. To many it doesn't matter whether the deer suffers, or not. To many of us, a clean and human kill is the 'deal' we make with mother nature.

Funny, no one posts about the ones that ran off or when they took 20 shots to get a hit. Your chart makes my point very well.
Not to mention a 6 inch kill zone (target) at that range with those sights, the external ballistics and thermal performance of bullet of this type.
PURE LUCK in MANY ways.
I personally would not have taken a shot like this (this caliber, bullet, and sight combination) nore would I advise anyone else to.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 11-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Not to mention a 6 inch kill zone (target) at that range with those sights, the external ballistics and thermal performance of bullet of this type.
PURE LUCK in MANY ways.
I personally would not have taken a shot like this (this caliber, bullet, and sight combination) nore would I advise anyone else to.
Jim, unfortunately, we aren't going to convince many that you don't use a tack hammer to drive a 10 penny nail here. Because this guy 'got away with it', (reportedly), there will be no convincing him and the others that think .223was designed to take large game at distance.