308 semi fail (graphic pics)

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 308 semi fail (graphic pics)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 02:47 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Default 308 semi fail (graphic pics)

ok a month ago i went hunting in south texas and had failure with a 168grn speer soft point. it went in at the shoulder and ended up under skin on the opposite side under the skin on the rear haunch. deer was standing 90 degree broadside about 75 yards.

everything looks good deer ran about 75 yards.

took the following pics after skinning. this is the entry much bigger than i expected.

this the exit wound. top is where it left gut area. the small red spot near the bottom is where the bullet lodged under the skin. it never broke the skin at the exit.

total meat loss from that nastiness was very minimal. the shot pretty much took a left turn after entering the torso it vaporized the heart and lungs. from the outside you cant tell what happened.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-07-2011 at 02:52 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-07-2011, 03:50 AM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts

Default fail...

what failed ? dead deer in back of truck ..think it back through...my guess is the millisecond your brain said take that deer ,just as you squeezed off she turned...you were focused on the croosshairs on deer hair ..shoulder ..she just turned man ...it happens. you did your job ..good shot ,bullet did its..she had to have turned because if she was broadside... straight through big exit hole ..she turned hence straight to opposite side ham expelling all its energy in the process traveling through 3 feet of deer instead of 1 ft of deer. what did bullet look like ..nice scroom? if so didnt frag ..thats what happened.im not a forensic expert but i play one at deer camp

Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

no it didnt turn. it was head down when i took the shot. the bullet just did something funky. it was an almost classic mushroom but slightly lopsided. i call it fail cuz it wasnt as clean as it shoulda been. it was the first deer i ever shot with a 308. every other deer ive shot has been with a 45cal 350 grn bullet between 1900-2600 fps. none of those ever went more than 10 yards from the initial instinct leap. most drop where they stand.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-07-2011 at 04:10 AM.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:01 AM   #4

Default .308

what is the gun /optics ...looks cool ..i hunt with a .308 ..killed 4 deer in nov 3 bucks 1 doe ...winchester power max 150 's my rifle is the rem 7600 pump tacticalized with ar style stock

Old 01-07-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

nice deer count. i got 4 doe total.

its a remington 700 xcr compact tactical with remingtons 40x trigger the scope is a leupold 4.5x14 mark4 M1 mildot on a 20moa cant base. its a lot of fun to shoot. mostly its a range rifle i took it on the hunt in case i had trouble with my 458socom. i couldnt keep the nikon monarch on my socom zeroed so i ended up using the xcr.

in the past ive always used my winchester mod 70 in 458winmag loaded to 45-70 levels. i shoulda brought that one as backup since im used to it and know it works.

next year ill have a nightforce on the socom.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #6

Default wish list

im hopeing to get a new savage .308 flcp-k ...im a lefty ..will be the first ever bolt gun for me .....if the funds are there.... my harley needs a thunderheader

Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

ive heard nothing but good about savage rifles of late dont have one myself.

Old 01-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

ive heard nothing but good about savage rifles of late dont have one myself.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

DUDE, have a deer in the truck is not any type of failure. It is a very good day.

Nice buck.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:09 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

its a doe there was a nice 10 point standing right next to it. i leave the horns for those that are into trophies. scares the hell out of the bucks when i zap their doe. i hunt for the meat and keep the doe population from going out of control. i was just upset with the bullet performance.