308 for Elk?? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 308 for Elk??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

I have witnessed many 'californians' who went 'hunting' in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Utah and would shoot at anything that moved from distances Marine snipers in Afghanistan would even turn down. Although we like to pretend all hunters are ethical, most aren't, and are even seen the night before drinking in large groups by the fireside.

And I only say 'Californians' because those are the ones who were ticketed at the time. There are idiots who could care less about the animal suffering from ALL states.

Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2936 Times on 1706 Posts
Likes Given: 1750

If you put a double lung hit on any animal with a 25 - 30 cal. slug, it is going to die. No ifs, ands or buts.

The question of long case vs. short case, is really only about effective range.

The bigger the holes, the faster the bleed out, and you want exit wounds.

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #23

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
I cannot believe you honestly think that a heart shot will not stop a deer. I am amazed by your statement.
I'm not the one who made the original comment so pardon me for butting in, but that's not the way I took what he said. I don't think anyone can dispute that a heart shot is deadly!

I think the problem was what you said about ignoring the study of your prey and just "shooting it in the heart" was too simplistic. Where is an elks heart? How big of a target is it? What may be in the way of your shot, depending on the orientation of the animal? How are these answered different than the white tail the OP may have hunted before?

You said you've been hunting for decades so this is probably all automatic for you when you are lining up your shot, but for a new elk hunter it's vital information to know before the hunt.

Saying to ignore all that and just "shoot it in the heat" is like saying ignore your chosen gun's ballistics and just "point it at the animal and pull the trigger". Not WRONG per se, but much too simplistic.

Last edited by mdauben; 07-24-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:56 PM   #24

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

the lung is a much bigger target, much less liklihood of a bullet being deflected by the heavy shoulder bones, and much less edible meat is destroyed. You need to hit BOTH lungs, tho, or he might run >200 yds, instead of <50 yds. Depending upon the time of day, climate, terrain, etc, that can make the difference between a found or lost elk. Hits to spleen and liver are also lethal in short order. Many animals have run 50 yds or a bit more with their hearts ruined by a softpoint bullet.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #25

Liked 748 Times on 451 Posts
Likes Given: 402

Shoot them in the shoulder with a good bullet and you have DRT---enough said.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #26
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7339 Times on 4415 Posts
Likes Given: 9054

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
I have witnessed many 'californians' who went 'hunting' in Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, and Utah and would shoot at anything that moved from distances Marine snipers in Afghanistan would even turn down. Although we like to pretend all hunters are ethical, most aren't, and are even seen the night before drinking in large groups by the fireside.

And I only say 'Californians' because those are the ones who were ticketed at the time. There are idiots who could care less about the animal suffering from ALL states.
I've also heard from a very experienced hunter that the meat tastes better if there is no adrenaline from a "fight or flight" animal hit with a not so accurate shot.

I've eaten elk burgers down at Stalkingbears. They were grilled to perfection and incredibly delicious. I ate one on a bun but they were so tasty I ate one just as it was. No bun, no condiments. DELICIOUS!!
Anna_Purna Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I've also heard from a very experienced hunter that the meat tastes better if there is no adrenaline from a "fight or flight" animal hit with a not so accurate shot.

I've eaten elk burgers down at Stalkingbears. They were grilled to perfection and incredibly delicious. I ate one on a bun but they were so tasty I ate one just as it was. No bun, no condiments. DELICIOUS!!
Also when cutting through the scent glands in the animal and using the same knife throughout the skinning process can spoil the meat. Or give it that 'wild' taste.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1191 Posts
Likes Given: 971

I think many get the adrenaline think mixed up with not cooling the carcass QUICKLY! I have had antelope we have killed after they were adrenalized and ran hard, but from the time they went down until they were placed in a deep freeze at -10 was less than 40 minutes and they were some of the BEST wild meat many of my friends say they have ever had! And antelope are notorious for being the least desirable of the big game meat. This is simply because most of the time they are in season it is still to warm to cool them properly.
Here in the south I refuse to kill a deer until late in the day and only if the night time temps will be below 45. I have been told by many who eat my V-burgers they are as good a beef!!!
When an animal dies all circulation stops so there is no physical way they are 'contaminated' by anything which could circulate through their system!
Yes, if you gut shoot one or cut a cut while cleaning and the feces comes in contact with any meat it is contaminated and should be discarded, but other than that the 'cooling' is the most important factor which will determine how 'good' or 'bad' the meat is.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 08-02-2013, 04:10 AM   #29

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna
Although we like to pretend all hunters are ethical, most aren't...
Total BS.

Most hunters are profoundly ethical individuals. Yes, there are some "bad apples" but, it's offensive that you would lump all (or even "most") hunters amongst them.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:20 AM   #30

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna

Also when cutting through the scent glands in the animal and using the same knife throughout the skinning process can spoil the meat. Or give it that 'wild' taste.
Nonsense...

I've used the same knife to field dress and bone out four elk on the same day and never bothered to clean the knife between animals. Just rinsed it off and touched up the edge. Not a hint of gamey flavor.

Gamey meat comes primarily from not getting the muscle tissue cooled down fast enough and from not getting rid of any and all of the tissue damaged from the gunshot. You do want to avoid cutting into the scent glands on the back legs of a Mule Deer but, that's easily accomplished by simply cutting them off. There are no such concerns with pronghorns, elk, or moose. I don't know about whitetails as I've never killed one.