308 for Elk?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 308 for Elk??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2013, 06:59 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
If you have never hunted Elk study the animals physiology. Knowing where to place the shots is more important than the difference between a .308 and a .30-06.
There is no study about. Shoot it in the heart chamber like a any other animal in the deer family.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #12

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

use Your own .308 an dont forget to take Alot of photos an give us a Hunt Report... or else!!!

Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 PM   #13

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Shoot it in the heart chamber like any other deer? This is the kind of novice advise that leaves lost elk for the coyotes and magpies.

Old 07-19-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3860 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Shoot it in the heart chamber like any other deer? This is the kind of novice advise that leaves lost elk for the coyotes and magpies.
Where do you shoot a deer, in his ear? Novice my ass. Been hunting for decades. A heart shot has never failed me. Why? See how long you survive been shot in the heart with a .308. Shooting the heart chamber has been passed down throughout the ages way before the US was even discovered (arrows, spears or whatever). It is drilled into hunters in Germany through our year long hunting course. The old culture/hunting tradition has passed this down because it works. I cannot believe you honestly think that a heart shot will not stop a deer. I am amazed by your statement.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #15

Liked 911 Times on 482 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Any animal shot in the chest with the right sized bullet will die within seconds. The best shot on any big game animal is in the chest. Period. Neck shots are iffy if the spine isn't hit. Head shots are iffy if the lower jaw is hit. Both are small targets that should be avoided. I can show you tons of pics of deer, bear and elk I have killed. All shot in the chest.

USMC 74-78

JimRau Likes This 
Old 07-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1862 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 885

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolf44 View Post
I just found out that I have drawn a once-in-a-lifetime Bull Elk tag in the Wichita Mountains, in Oklahoma, this year. I have never been elk hunting. Is my 308 large enough to hunt elk? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I all boils down to velocity and the range you can humanly harvest a large animal like an elk, assuming you and our rifle are accurate enough to place the bullet where it belongs. (see above)
A 308 will launch a 165 gr bullet at about 2700 fps (2670 ft/lbs), whereas a 300 WBY will launch the same bullet at about 3300 fps (3989 ft/lbs). Point being the terminal effect on the game by the 300 WBY is the same at approx. 275 yds as the 308 at the muzzle! So if you are aware of the 'range' limitations of the 308 it can humanly harvest an elk.
I personally would limit my shot at an elk to 300 yds or less with a 308, and with a 300 WBY to 550 yds or less.
To address your question about the 30-06. The same bullet could be launched at about 150 to 200 fps faster than the 308. This is not a significant difference. You would gain about 50 to 75 more yards on your comparative effective range. Is this worth going to the 06? It depends on the range you anticipate on your hunt. But me, I think I would stay with the 308 if you shoot it well!
Hope this helped.
Jim

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-20-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 07-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #17

Liked 183 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 89

The 308 is more potent then most people give it credit for with tough 165-180gr bullets. 300 Savages and 30-30s have killed many an elk, there is no reason the 308 would not.

Old 07-22-2013, 03:40 AM   #18

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

How can anyone be assured of a clear heart shot? I never said a heart shot was not lethal. We are not Euros we learn hunting by experience. We are not on controlled hunts. The Elk here in the Rocky Mtns. are often in shadows or scrub or moving. There are a number of fatal areas on the body which can provide a proper kill. Many Elk are taken with the 30-30 as well as archery. A hunter should know the anatomy of his intended prey.

Last edited by nitestalker; 07-22-2013 at 03:44 AM.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1862 Times on 1091 Posts
Likes Given: 885

Quote:
How can anyone be assured of a clear heart shot? I never said a heart shot was not lethal. We are not Euros we learn hunting by experience. We are not on controlled hunts. The Elk here in the Rocky Mtns. are often in shadows or scrub or moving. There are a number of fatal areas on the body which can provide a proper kill. Many Elk are taken with the 30-30 as well as archery. A hunter should know the anatomy of his intended prey.
And the limitations of his weapon and his abilities!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 07-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #20

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I'm with Jagermeister on this subject. Saying that aiming for a heart shot is "novice advice" is just plain dumb.
That's why we say we're "going hunting" instead of "going killing". Sometimes you see a trophy and he just won't present a nice broadside shot. At this point you must decide to try for a riskier shot or just be patient and hope things improve. The only other shot I would try would be a neck shot, but I would only consider that if it were a "last day of the hunt, in the last seconds of shooting light" situation.
The heart shot is by far the most desirable location to shoot at. Even if you miss the heart, you'll either shoot low with no harm done, shoot forward and probably shatter one or both shoulders, or you'll be a little high or back of the heart in which case you'll have 2 punctured lungs which means he'll run farther but will die and (most likely) leave a nice blood trail.
Obviously if you try for the heart by way of the deer/elk/mooses ass then the yotes will eat well in a few days. Most seasoned hunters (or unseasoned hunters with common sense) don't make that type of shot.