.300 win mag
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .300 win mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .300 win mag

My friend is selling his savage stevens model .300 win mag, I know I can get it for 200 maybe 150 and it's never been fired. If I get it I was thinking of setting it up with a 4-16x44 Sightmark triple duty tactical scope and a bipod. Should this be good or does anybody have any suggestions? I'm also not sure to get a 6-9'' or a 9-13'' bipod, pros, cons? I'm using this for some longer range field hunting for deer, probably for yotes some, and maybe a few groundhogs, so I will be out at night but in snow only.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #2

id jump all over that dont know any thing about that glass but i would get 9- 13 bipod i like three 300win mag like the 338 win mag better but 200 buck cant go wrong.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Sounds like a steal to me!

I dont know much about that scope, but for long range shooting (when you dont have a lot of walking) bipods are nice.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #4

update, he changed his mind, he wants 250 for it but it'll come with a box of shells so I'm all for it

Old 07-29-2010, 12:12 AM   #5

Liked 1299 Times on 734 Posts
Likes Given: 624

$250 for an unfired Stevens 300WM is also a steal,but if it has the factory synthetic stock on it be prepared for a decent amount of recoil coming your way when fired.
Also,Using a 300WM for yotes and groundhogs is a little over kill,and will get very expensive if you don't reload.But if that's what you want it for,Have fun!

You will also want to put some decent optics on a 300WM,to take advantage of the range the caliber can shoot accurately. The Sightmark might last,it might not.Better to save money and get a quality scope,than put a lower priced scope on now,and have to replace it in the near future if it fails.

You can also find some great deals on used quality scopes if you look for them,and you will be happier with the end result. Great optics on your gun!

Old 07-29-2010, 03:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
$250 for an unfired Stevens 300WM is also a steal,but if it has the factory synthetic stock on it be prepared for a decent amount of recoil coming your way when fired.
Also,Using a 300WM for yotes and groundhogs is a little over kill,and will get very expensive if you don't reload.But if that's what you want it for,Have fun!

You will also want to put some decent optics on a 300WM,to take advantage of the range the caliber can shoot accurately. The Sightmark might last,it might not.Better to save money and get a quality scope,than put a lower priced scope on now,and have to replace it in the near future if it fails.

You can also find some great deals on used quality scopes if you look for them,and you will be happier with the end result. Great optics on your gun!

It's mainly for deer, I just may take it out for groundhogs once to try it but may or may not be my yote gun depending on how my .243 stands up but there's not too many yotes here in PA so I won't be running through a bunch of ammo.

Thats what i'm trying to figure out on the scope, so far i've seen good reviews on it. I mean it has what I want in the price I want, but, i'll continue on looking

Old 07-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #7

Liked 372 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Now, I have a .300 Win. Mag. for long range target. This rifle with a 6-1/2 lb. barrel, muzzle brake, and 1" decel pad on the butt of a McMillan A-5 stock is very tame in the recoil department. I'd equate the recoil to that of a .223 caliber rifle. However, the other week, I agreed to zero a scope on a friends Ruger model 77 rifle in .300 Win. Mag. It was the factory wood stock with the factory butt pad (about 1/2" thick) and a untimed muzzle brake that he had installed several years ago. That rifle beat the living shat out of me with it's felt rcoil as I sent about 40 rounds down the pipe. I actually had it zeroed at 100 in 9 rounds but was adjusting the dope for drop at distances out to 200, 300, and 400 yards. My shoulder was near done half way through the 300 yard line.

I had noticed earlier that day in the range office that they had universal slip over gel pads (can't remember the brand) on the shelf for $23.00. They were about a good inch plus thick. I went back to the range office and bought one of these things and slipped it over the butt of the rifle and man what a difference. Even with the factory red rubber looking butt pad this rifle was a recoil beast. By adding that slip on pad it made a tremendous dfference in reduced felt recoil and I was able to finish getting this rifle out to 400 yards with the corrected drop info for my friend.

Were now in the process of changing out his crappy muzzle brake to a much better timed brake to further correct the problems he has with this rifles felt recoil and muzzle rise.

His rifle won't come quite near as close to the reduced felt recoil as my target rifle however, as it weighs about 9 lbs. with scope and my target rifle weighs 17lbs. 1 oz. with scope. Regardless, when we are done with the new brake for his rifle along with the slip on gel pad he should be able to shoot it near all day long without it beating the living shat out of his shoulder.

Last edited by mrm14; 07-29-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:12 PM   #8

how does the .300 compare to the 12 ga. in terms of recoil?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #9

Liked 372 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanGlass View Post
how does the .300 compare to the 12 ga. in terms of recoil?
I have a 12 guage Winchester Super X-2 tactical HD shotgun. It will chamber up to 3-1/2" shells. I've shot magnum 3-1/2" 000 Buck through it and the recoil of the .300 Win. Mag., although similar, IMO is a little more piercing on the shoulder than this 12 guage 3-1/2" magnum round. So there you have it for what my observations are worth.

If your going to hunt only with this caliber rifle and squeeze only a few shots off in a year, it will be O.K. If your going to shoot it alot you will want a good muzzle brake (perferably a timed one) and a good Decel pad on the butt.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 AM   #10

Liked 199 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 50

That 300Win Mag is alot of gun.It is literally as powerful at 250 yards as your .243 is at the muzzle.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Newest Threads