Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   300 rum vs. 338 lapua (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/300-rum-vs-338-lapua-51453/)

aztman 11-09-2011 12:44 AM

300 rum vs. 338 lapua
 
opinions on best for long range hunting?

Bigcat_hunter 11-09-2011 01:25 AM

.338 Lapua or .338 RUM Bar None compared to the 300 Ultra. I shoot 300 grain Siera Matchkings with my 338. Very high BC's. The wind has a hard time pushing that heavy bullet around. They are devastating to game.

HotFudge 11-10-2011 01:51 AM

I wasn't even aware that .338 Lapula was a hunting round. Thought it was purely designed for military use.

aztman 11-10-2011 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter
.338 Lapua or .338 RUM Bar None compared to the 300 Ultra. I shoot 300 grain Siera Matchkings with my 338. Very high BC's. The wind has a hard time pushing that heavy bullet around. They are devastating to game.

338 rum or 338 lapua which one do you shoot im a little thick?

Bigcat_hunter 11-10-2011 02:36 AM

I shoot a .338 RUM which is almost identical ballistically to the 338 Lapua(just a little slower).

ACRhino 11-10-2011 04:51 PM

The .338 RUM has something like 97lbs of recoil, prepare to get your ass kicked.

Bigcat_hunter 11-10-2011 06:02 PM

Yeah, you need a good break and a heavy rifle. Mine feels like a 22 as far as recoil is concerned.

joshfireart 11-10-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigcat_hunter (Post 624315)
Yeah, you need a good break and a heavy rifle. Mine feels like a 22 as far as recoil is concerned.

im no wimp to magnum hits but i do not think a 300 grain bullet is any thing i would want to shoot moor then 3 times a 250 grain bullet im good for about 5 rounds 200 grain rounds i can shoot 20 rounds no problem. i have no muzzle break as far as recoil its not a 22

Bigcat_hunter 11-11-2011 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joshfireart (Post 624589)
im no wimp to magnum hits but i do not think a 300 grain bullet is any thing i would want to shoot moor then 3 times a 250 grain bullet im good for about 5 rounds 200 grain rounds i can shoot 20 rounds no problem. i have no muzzle break as far as recoil its not a 22

Yeah without a break the recoil is fierce and not very fun.

aztman 11-11-2011 03:01 AM

my 7mm stainless stalker was a bitch until i had a muzzlebrake installed now its a *****cat, wont have another magnum without one.


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.