Is 30-30 adequate? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > Is 30-30 adequate?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
towboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Somewares,Ky
Posts: 3,594
Liked 1732 Times on 900 Posts
Likes Given: 3667

Default

I'd much rather have a 30-06 for elk. Good excuse for ya to get one.
towboater is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,371
Liked 2217 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I personally believe that the .30-30 is marginal for even deer, not to mention elk. But that is me and I'm sure I will get a lot of flack on that. In that class of cartridge, the .35 Remington is much more adequate for deer and elk. To answer your question, I think you would be better off w/ the 30-06 or .308, however, your 8mm Mauser would be more than adequate though you would be handicapped with only iron sights. If the 30-30 is all you have and you can limit your shots to under 100 yards, then use it.
ct
Here we go again Ct! With the new ammo (flex tip) the 30-30 will actually perform as good if not better than your beloved 243 on deer, and the 30-30 is 'marginal' but the 243 is not?????. I know because I have 'cleanly' killed deer at over 300 yds with my 336 30-30 using the new ammo. I have owned several 243's and killed deer and antelope with them and this would have been the limit for the 243 also! Not to mention the 30-30 has probably put more deer in the pot than any other caliber used by the american hunter.
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-31-2013 at 06:48 PM.
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #23
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Here we go again Ct! With the new ammo (flex tip) the 30-30 will actually perform as good if not better than your beloved 243 on deer, and the 30-30 is 'marginal' but the 243 is not?????. I know because I have 'cleanly' killed deer at over 300 yds with my 336 30-30 using the new ammo. I have owned several 243's and killed deer and antelope with them and this would have been the limit for the 243 also! Not to mention the 30-30 has probably put more deer in the pot than any other caliber used by the american hunter.

AND, the 30-30 has probably wounded more deer than any other caliber used by the American hunter.
ct
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 PM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
limbkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: georgetown,ky
Posts: 1,386
Liked 984 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 795

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
AND, the 30-30 has probably wounded more deer than any other caliber used by the American hunter.
ct
That is just a numbers thing. If more are shot at by a certain caliber there will be more kills and wounded deer. All I know is that ANY DEER hit in the chest with a 30-30 will die within seconds.
__________________
USMC 74-78

Last edited by limbkiller; 07-31-2013 at 09:05 PM.
limbkiller is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:29 PM   #25
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by limbkiller View Post
That is just a numbers thing. If more are shot at by a certain caliber there will be more kills and wounded deer. All I know is that ANY DEER hit in the chest with a 30-30 will die within seconds.

You are correct. As any deer hit in the chest with any cartridge from 6mm on up will die, if not in seconds, then minutes.
ct
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:16 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: St Peters,Missouri
Posts: 43
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

If you have questions about the 30-30, then use your 8mm Mauser.
With Privi Partizan or SB ammo, the 8mm is everything a 3006 is in the power department. American manufacturers under load the round. You can get a scout scope mount that mounts where the rear sight is if you want to scope it without altering the rifle.
gschnarr is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,371
Liked 2217 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
AND, the 30-30 has probably wounded more deer than any other caliber used by the American hunter.
ct
Not where I hunt. I have seen more wounded elk, deer, hogs, and antelope shot with the 243 than any other caliber, the little bullets lack the momentum the bigger bullets have. That CT, is why I consider the 243 'marginal' for BIG GAME in general. But that has nothing to do with this thread so it is a moot point here right?

Actually more deer have probably been wounded and lost from buckshot than any rifle!
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 01:33 AM   #28
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Not where I hunt. I have seen more wounded elk, deer, hogs, and antelope shot with the 243 than any other caliber, the little bullets lack the momentum the bigger bullets have. That CT, is why I consider the 243 'marginal' for BIG GAME in general. But that has nothing to do with this thread so it is a moot point here right?

Actually more deer have probably been wounded and lost from buckshot than any rifle!

Don't feed the trolls.
ct
 
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: The Free State of Winston, AL
Posts: 3,371
Liked 2217 Times on 1314 Posts
Likes Given: 1151

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Don't feed the trolls.
ct
I have an activist personality so I can't resist trolls like you, my bad!!!
__________________
An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!
JimRau is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 6,624
Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Default

The 30-30 will kill almost anything that walks the earth. The problem with the 30-30 is it has about the same range as a shotgun slug. I can tell you this much, I have killed a deer with a 30-06 that two men started shooting at with a 30-30 before I even picked up my gun. The 30-30 rounds were hitting the ground before they got to the deer. I drilled the deer the first shot with a 30-06. I will admit I had the benefit of a little long distance training from uncle sam and I had experience shooting targets with the 30-06 at long range. I don't even know how far the targets or the deer were from me. I do know a truck was required to fetch the targets and the deer. I would say the deer was under 400 yards. I don't think one can tell if it's a buck or a doe with their naked eye over 400 yards.

Last edited by John_Deer; 08-01-2013 at 07:00 PM.
John_Deer is offline  
cottontop Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes




Newest Threads