is .270 too much? - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > is .270 too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Can't get any deader than dead rather loose some meat than chase one all day . Then if you don't find it coyote food .270 is a great round .... if you want to lighten up a bit my son uses a.257 Roberts with 100 grain bullet reloads 3400 fps drops game with a bit less damage . bullet selection is key when you reload or buy ammo . Good luck

Old 11-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #32

Yesterday I took my 50th whitetail with my Ruger M77 270. I have never fired a purchesed shell in it. I reload all my amo. Just joined and need to ask a reloading Question. How do I do that?

Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 PM   #33

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
This year I took 4 elk, 3 deer,an, 3 antalope all with a 7mmSTW, every shoulder shot resulted in damaged meat thats the nature of the beast. Try neck shots or head shots if u want solid clean kills with less damage to the meat. My daughter shot both her deer in the neck as well as here elk.
Your trying! (Private joke). The .270 is a fine round, much better then the .243 for whitetail. I still do understand the comment about the recoil. I have a Savage 110 in 7mm RM, my buddy has the identical rifle in .270. His kicks harder. Don't know why, but it does. Same year, same model. Makes no sense.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #34

Liked 768 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter66 View Post
Yesterday I took my 50th whitetail with my Ruger M77 270. I have never fired a purchesed shell in it. I reload all my amo. Just joined and need to ask a reloading Question. How do I do that?
Reloading thread. http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f30/

Old 11-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #35

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muliemaster View Post
This year I took 4 elk, 3 deer,an, 3 antalope all with a 7mmSTW, every shoulder shot resulted in damaged meat thats the nature of the beast. Try neck shots or head shots if u want solid clean kills with less damage to the meat. My daughter shot both her deer in the neck as well as here elk.
I know a lot of folks are fans of the neck shot but I'm not one of them. I will only take a neck shot if he's in tall grass and that's all he presents.

In 25 years of deer hunting, most of which I used a .243, I have always aimed for the cardiac cavity. If I miss the heart there are so many large arteries that bleed-out and a generous blood trail are guaranteed. Not to mention that you have t go through a lung to get there. I think the longest I've had a deer run was about 60 yards. This shot will also have the added benefit of no meat loss. Granted, if he's quartered to or from my line of sight, one shoulder may have to be sacrificed.

With a larger caliber like a .270 a good neck shot will probably drop him. I cut my teeth on a smaller caliber and that's the way I was taught to kill and it has worked pretty much flawlessly for me.

Something else just occurred to me. Whenever I watch hunting shows on the Outdoor channel, I never see a neck shot. Must be a reason.

Old 11-19-2011, 02:38 AM   #36

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1

I know a lot of folks are fans of the neck shot but I'm not one of them. I will only take a neck shot if he's in tall grass and that's all he presents.

In 25 years of deer hunting, most of which I used a .243, I have always aimed for the cardiac cavity. If I miss the heart there are so many large arteries that bleed-out and a generous blood trail are guaranteed. Not to mention that you have t go through a lung to get there. I think the longest I've had a deer run was about 60 yards. This shot will also have the added benefit of no meat loss. Granted, if he's quartered to or from my line of sight, one shoulder may have to be sacrificed.

With a larger caliber like a .270 a good neck shot will probably drop him. I cut my teeth on a smaller caliber and that's the way I was taught to kill and it has worked pretty much flawlessly for me.

Something else just occurred to me. Whenever I watch hunting shows on the Outdoor channel, I never see a neck shot. Must be a reason.
Yea but if u miss u also may not hit any vital area thus resulting in a prolonged death bet u didnt think about that. Now think of this on a neck shot if u miss well u miss if u hit it falls period

Old 11-19-2011, 02:40 AM   #37

Liked 121 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1

Also I wont take just neck shots I like the shoulder myself but if I have a solid neck shot well I sure wouldnt pass thats a fact

Old 11-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #38

What ever shot presented itself I would go for neck or vital organ area . Dead is dead I mostly hunt with buck shot were I live in maine thins are tight the deer are on top of you or 30.06 when I'm in scope area 444 marlin if I want knock down power without scope . Also love my win 32 . It's about bullet placement happy hunting .