.243 vs .25-06 - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .243 vs .25-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 205 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 184

The .257 Roberts was a popular chambering in the Mdl. 70 Winchester and early Remington bolt guns. Someone posted the .243 had taken more game than the 25-06?
Not likely the 25 Niedner AKA 25-06 dates to 1927. The .243 dates to 1959. The 25-06 is a fine accurate rifle for varmints and deer sized animals. Remington renamed the 25 Niedner to 25-06. Regardless it is an incredibley fine round.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:47 PM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2211 Times on 1311 Posts
Likes Given: 1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
You never see one because it is rarely offered any more and no one gets rid of theirs once they try it!
Even more rare is the 25-308 wildcat. We built several of them and those who had them loved them, but they are over shadowed by the 6.5's.
I have owned, hunted with, and hand loaded both the 243 and the 25-06 and I prefer the 25-06 HANDS DOWN!!!!!
People Like This 
Old 01-11-2015, 02:47 AM   #43

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

My 2 cents, go with the 25-06. A lot of people say it is a good deer rifle, but I have never owned one. Although I have owned plenty of 243. I do not like hunting deer with a 243. I have shot a deer wth a ballistic tip Winchester bullet dead in the front shoulder. The ballistic tip did what it was supposed to do and destroyed the front two shoulders but the deer ran almost 200 yards before it stopped. If I would have found it sooner it probably would have needed a second shot. Now I understand that it was a bad shot and too far forward but it still hit vital organs. It may not even be logical but I just do not like 243. For deer. Coyotes they are fine though

Old 01-11-2015, 04:34 AM   #44
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1881 Times on 1209 Posts
Likes Given: 4205

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie94 View Post
My 2 cents, go with the 25-06. A lot of people say it is a good deer rifle, but I have never owned one. Although I have owned plenty of 243. I do not like hunting deer with a 243. I have shot a deer wth a ballistic tip Winchester bullet dead in the front shoulder. The ballistic tip did what it was supposed to do and destroyed the front two shoulders but the deer ran almost 200 yards before it stopped. If I would have found it sooner it probably would have needed a second shot. Now I understand that it was a bad shot and too far forward but it still hit vital organs. It may not even be logical but I just do not like 243. For deer. Coyotes they are fine though
The problem was the ballistic tip and not the caliber. Everyone that uses a ballistic tip will lose some deer. I've tracked deer for hours that were shot exactly as you described but with a 7mm mag ballistic tip. They occasionally hit something hard like the shoulder and blow up before they penetrate deep enough to take out the organs no matter what caliber.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 01-11-2015, 04:05 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2211 Times on 1311 Posts
Likes Given: 1143

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
The problem was the ballistic tip and not the caliber. Everyone that uses a ballistic tip will lose some deer. I've tracked deer for hours that were shot exactly as you described but with a 7mm mag ballistic tip. They occasionally hit something hard like the shoulder and blow up before they penetrate deep enough to take out the organs no matter what caliber.
AMEN!!!!
This one of the greatest fallacies of terminal ballistics!!!
Even the new generation of BT's, the SST is guilty of this. My nephew just shot an awesome buck (see it on my facebook page) and he hit the deer right where he should and it ran 150+ yards before it piled up. (7-08 139gr SST at 100 yds) The problem is the bullet fragmented and did not exit. Thus there was not sign of blood at the impact sight and NO BLOOD TRAIL what so ever until about 10 yards before it pile up and the blood started coming from it's mouth and nose. WE WERE VERY LUCKY in that the deer stayed on a 4wheeler path. Had it dove in to the 'bush' we would not have been able to recover it in a timely fashion. The vultures would eventfully, 24 to 48 hours later, lead us to it. THIS IS NOT EXCEPTABLE!!! It is back to the Fusion or GMX bullet for me.

Newest Threads