.243 vs .25-06
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .243 vs .25-06

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default .243 vs .25-06

In my previous post, I determined that these cartridges are the best bet as a deer & coyote rifle on my budget. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both. From what I've seen, the .25-06 has better ballistics and has heavier bullet weights available for deer. Are a decent amount of varmint loads for it though? The .243 seems to be cheaper, but not as versatile. I'm looking at getting & H&R single shot with a longer barrel (Around 25") to get the most out of the cartridge.

There is only one god and his name is death. And there is only one thing we say to death. Not today. - George R. R. Martin

If trouble comes when you least expect it, then maybe the thing to do is always expect it. - Cormac McCarthy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-04-2014, 04:48 PM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Both calibers will suite your needs. The 243 has probably killed as many,if not more deer as the 25/06 in the USA.
Bullet choice,and placement is the key to taking any game.
I shoot a 25/06,and it doesn't like to shoot bullets under 100 grain,but 100 grain and up it will group in the 1/4 - 1/2 moa range at 100 yards. The lighter weight bullets don't group,they pattern like a shotgun,and I only shoot handloads so I can usually tailor a load to almost any bullet for my rifles.
The 243 will cost less to shoot than the 25/06,and also won't heat the barrel up as fast as the 25/06.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

People Like This 
Old 08-04-2014, 05:16 PM   #3

Liked 92 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 29

A heavy barrel Handi Rifle in .243 with good optics will be capable of better groups then most people shooting it are. My son has taken more whitetail deer with his single shot .243 then I have got in my whole life. I vote for the H&R in .243. 25-06 is a great round, but as said before not as available as .243, at least not in my area.

USAF 77-99
MAC trained killer

Old 08-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1265 Posts
Likes Given: 675

You can get 243 ammo almost any where. You can find good deals on Prvi Partisan ammo for a 243.

I was really high on the 25/06 until the past deer season. I was really considering buying a 25/06. After this past season I will be happy with my 12 ga, 7.62x54, 30/06 and 270 combo until I get so old they knock me out. At the point I can't handle the recoil I won't be able to skin a deer anyway.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 08-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2856 Times on 1487 Posts
Likes Given: 254

The .25-06 has a reputation as one of the most accurate calibers ever invented. I cannot seem to load a bad round for mine.

Ammo availability can be an issue though. .243 has the advantage in this category.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 08-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21697 Times on 12308 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteDeath57 View Post
In my previous post, I determined that these cartridges are the best bet as a deer & coyote rifle on my budget. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both. From what I've seen, the .25-06 has better ballistics and has heavier bullet weights available for deer. Are a decent amount of varmint loads for it though? The .243 seems to be cheaper, but not as versatile. I'm looking at getting & H&R single shot with a longer barrel (Around 25") to get the most out of the cartridge.
which do you think you would be hunting more of? deer or coyote?

if you were going to hunt more deer than coyote, i would suggest the 25-06. it can still be used with lighter bullets for coyote as well, but with a littel heavier bullets, it would be better suited for deer sized game.

if you were going to hunt more coyotes than deer, then i would suggest going with the 243. on the occasional deer, you could step up to heavier bullets and still be able to hunt deer with it.

my personal preference would be the 25-06. that was my preferred round years ago for killing coyotes. but i wasn't concerned with the pelt either. but if concerned with preserving the pelt, go for a head shot. plus i feel the 25-06 gives a little more edge at longer distances due to being able to use heavier bullets than the 243 is capable of using.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #7

Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Default good news

Just get the .243 and the 25/06.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:15 PM   #8

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

I would still broaden my search to a .260 or .7mm-08. Why mess around with different bullet weights that change POI from POA. This way buy a box and use it for both. What you are asking is actually a tall order. Most varmint ammo is very destructive. It is also not suited for Whitetail. There was a comment in the previous thread and using mono metal bullets, not a bad idea actually. They are expensive, but would suit your needs and requirements better. again, using the same bullet for both. If you don't reload, it will get expensive very fast. A fun gun I use for both is a Clone 1892 Winchester in .44-40. Open sights are very good. Cowboy ammo is fairly cheap, good for 100 yard Coyotes and there is 200grSP ammo for whitetail, still fairly cheap.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:24 PM   #9

Liked 236 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 381

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I would still broaden my search to a .260 or .7mm-08. Why mess around with different bullet weights that change POI from POA. This way buy a box and use it for both. What you are asking is actually a tall order. Most varmint ammo is very destructive. It is also not suited for Whitetail. There was a comment in the previous thread and using mono metal bullets, not a bad idea actually. They are expensive, but would suit your needs and requirements better. again, using the same bullet for both. If you don't reload, it will get expensive very fast. A fun gun I use for both is a Clone 1892 Winchester in .44-40. Open sights are very good. Cowboy ammo is fairly cheap, good for 100 yard Coyotes and there is 200grSP ammo for whitetail, still fairly cheap.
I agree with, "broaden the search", but there must be an order in which the collection should start. 25-06, .243, 260, .7mm-08, then reloading. The reason being, baby steps buddy, baby steps. IMO

Old 08-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #10

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradam View Post
I agree with, "broaden the search", but there must be an order in which the collection should start. 25-06, .243, 260, .7mm-08, then reloading. The reason being, baby steps buddy, baby steps. IMO
I'm not sure where the OP is??? Wait, Tennessee. Here in the Northland our Yotes are quite large. Pelts are worth maybe a bounty. Does the OP understand that to make a Coyote pelt worth anything it was to be peeled in a tube, no slit down the stomach?? Too many people have visions of $$$, but have no knowledge or skill to make it happen. He is not in wide open country. So, a .22Mag as suggested before could pay for a Whitetail rifle in short order and would be cheap to shoot. Then get a rifle such as a .308 that would be suited better for whitetail and ammo in all flavors is everywhere. This is not Arizona, no 300 yard shots will be present, or very few.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

bradam Likes This