243 ammo? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 243 ammo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 162 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have a cousin who killed a deer with a 22 hornet. The year after that we chased a wounded deer that he shot with a 30-30. The year after that we chase a wounded deer that he shot with a 308. Every one of those years my brother filled his tag with a 243 and one bullet.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1872 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 893

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Tom. The .243 is no marginal round. I believe that more animals have been wounded and lost with the .30-30 than the .243. When you say "the 'right' shot," I agree, but that is true no matter what cartridge you use for deer. Shot placement is crucial for all game and all calibers. A gut shot deer is a gut shot deer no matter if it was shot with a .300 Mag. or a .243. And don't pull the age and/or experience card on me. I too have been hunting, shooting, and reloading for 50 plus years. Being that you are a physicist, I would like you to prove me wrong with ballistics and other facts and figures and not opinions.
cottontop
I am glad to oblige, but right now I have the Toy's for Tots campaign coming to an end, two sons on the way for a visit, a contract to sign for our land for the Law Enforcement Firearms Training Center, and hunting rifle which was involved in a hunting death to examine and test, and some serious personal matters to deal with. When it slows down to a dull roar in my life I will be more than happy to explain the science behind my comments.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 12-11-2012, 03:29 AM   #13

Default that's proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
I am glad to oblige, but right now I have the Toy's for Tots campaign coming to an end, two sons on the way for a visit, a contract to sign for our land for the Law Enforcement Firearms Training Center, and hunting rifle which was involved in a hunting death to examine and test, and some serious personal matters to deal with. When it slows down to a dull roar in my life I will be more than happy to explain the science behind my comments.

cottontop

Old 12-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #14

Liked 38 Times on 26 Posts

The .243 has always been a good performer in my book. I have only killed deer with it but, none have made even a single step once hit. I do consider the cartridge to be more limited than some others but, I would not categorize this as being "marginal." A .243 is perfectly capable of killing deer or antelope out to 300 yards or so. I would limit shots at elk to maybe 200 or yards or thereabouts.

I have had the best luck with 100 gr. Partitions though, as long as the rifle shot them well, I would have no qualms about shooting any of the premium, bonded core or monolithic hunting bullets from Nosler, Swift, Barnes, Hornady, etc. I'm even considering giving the Bergers a whirl. Their super-high BCs are quite intriguing. I don't ever shoot "regular" bullets at big game, no matter what cartridge I'm shooting.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #15

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, it seems as if most of you agree. I've killed plenty of Barbary Sheep with the .243 with specific shot placement. After shooting a few rds., my son was comfortable with the rifle and his accuracy was pretty tight.

Here are the facts....
1st Deer, 9 years old

Win .243 100gr SPBT

140 yards

Double lung

img_0021.jpg

Thanks for the discussion...

Last edited by peters923; 12-11-2012 at 01:01 PM.
People Like This 
Old 12-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

cottontop
What part of 'I don't have time for a lengthy technical post' don't you understand. To me what I said is just common sense for those of us who did our due diligence on this subject. But as my wife keeps saying ' Everyone don't have the common sense you have Dear'!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:21 PM   #17

Default .243

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
What part of 'I don't have time for a lengthy technical post' don't you understand. To me what I said is just common sense for those of us who did our due diligence on this subject. But as my wife keeps saying ' Everyone don't have the common sense you have Dear'!!!

You should run for office. BTW, insults are not allowed on this forum. Moderators?
cottontop

Old 12-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2421 Times on 1198 Posts
Likes Given: 1230

I would suggest the Hornady 95gr. SST Superformance round for deer hunting with the 243 Win. cal.
Once again just good shot placement with any rifle some more critical than others in the smaller calibers.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

cottontop Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
You should run for office. BTW, insults are not allowed on this forum. Moderators?
cottontop
Who was insulted?

willfully armed Likes This 
Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I went back and did a quick reference in my reloading manuals and all those 'in the business' who wrote about the 243 said it was a good long range varmint cartridge, and if you used the heaviest bullets it would work for SMALL deer, but not to use it on other larger animals. Now to me when you reach the outer edge/margin of the excepted use it is called 'marginal'!!! Did I miss something here???
It has been my experience that those who have the discipline to take only the 'perfect' shots at moderate ranges with heavy tough bullets have had good results on small deer. That does not meet it is an 'expectational/great/very good caliber of deer, that means it is 'marginal'. If you will try and keep an open mind and use logic instead of emotion you will have to agree that is on the margin or that it is marginal (this is the common sense I am referring to).