Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   243 ammo? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/243-ammo-77414/)

peters923 11-30-2012 01:58 PM

243 ammo?
 
What is the most recommended 243 load for whitetail? My son, 9, will be going on his first hunt with his 243. Living and hunting western game in NM, we have never shot anything that little besides Barbary sheep which are similar in size. Usually 80-95 grn. vmax ammo is what we use. I suppose that will do for deer also. Just thought I would get some insight from those of you with it.

JimRau 11-30-2012 03:02 PM

The 243 is a 'marginal' caliber for big game, including deer so I advise those who elect to use 243 to use the 'heaviest' and 'toughest' bullets available. There is A LOT of 'varmint' ammo on the shelf so be be careful (for the deers sake) not to use this light fast expanding ammo on big game. I prefer the Nosler Partition or the Barnes bullets in these 'small' calibers if I were to use them for deer. My minimum recommended caliber is a .264/6.5 mm, my personal preference is .284/7 mm, specifically a 7mm-08.
Hope this helped.
Jim:)

303tom 11-30-2012 03:07 PM

100gr. HP`s, and when my dad was alive he took Elk with a .243, it`s no marginal round..................

tomgodd 11-30-2012 04:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what my son uses.

Attachment 72285

tri70 11-30-2012 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peters923 (Post 1033265)
What is the most recommended 243 load for whitetail? My son, 9, will be going on his first hunt with his 243. Living and hunting western game in NM, we have never shot anything that little besides Barbary sheep which are similar in size. Usually 80-95 grn. vmax ammo is what we use. I suppose that will do for deer also. Just thought I would get some insight from those of you with it.


That will work on white tail deer, shoot what the gun is sighted for, make it a good one!

nchunt101 11-30-2012 05:40 PM

A .243 is an awesome cartridge for deer especially smaller ones. I shoot plain 100 gr. core-lokts. I have killed over 30 deer with a .243 and all have been DRT

willfully armed 12-01-2012 04:31 AM

Deer are widely known as medium game.

243 is quite capable.


Im running 95gr Hornady SST over 41.5 gr H4350.

JimRau 12-01-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 303tom (Post 1033342)
100gr. HP`s, and when my dad was alive he took Elk with a .243, it`s no marginal round..................

YES IT IS! Just because someone 'took an elk' with it does not change the physics and physiology reality here. I have been hunting for 50+ years and I have seen MANY lost animals with the 243!:( I knew a lady who always got her game with her 243 shooting a 105 gr SP (deer and elk) when she got the 'right' shot. She would not shoot over 100 yds and only if she got the perfect broad side presentation. Does this mean this a 'right' caliber for the game hunted? Absolutely not! It means that if you have the discipline she had you can make it due. ;)

ikeepem 12-10-2012 10:09 AM

I have good luck with 100 gr partitions on medium Whitetail..

cottontop 12-10-2012 01:01 PM

.243
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1034493)
YES IT IS! Just because someone 'took an elk' with it does not change the physics and physiology reality here. I have been hunting for 50+ years and I have seen MANY lost animals with the 243!:( I knew a lady who always got her game with her 243 shooting a 105 gr SP (deer and elk) when she got the 'right' shot. She would not shoot over 100 yds and only if she got the perfect broad side presentation. Does this mean this a 'right' caliber for the game hunted? Absolutely not! It means that if you have the discipline she had you can make it due. ;)



I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Tom. The .243 is no marginal round. I believe that more animals have been wounded and lost with the .30-30 than the .243. When you say "the 'right' shot," I agree, but that is true no matter what cartridge you use for deer. Shot placement is crucial for all game and all calibers. A gut shot deer is a gut shot deer no matter if it was shot with a .300 Mag. or a .243. And don't pull the age and/or experience card on me. I too have been hunting, shooting, and reloading for 50 plus years. Being that you are a physicist, I would like you to prove me wrong with ballistics and other facts and figures and not opinions.
cottontop


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:42 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.