22s and turkeys

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 22s and turkeys

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default 22s and turkeys

What do y'all think about it? Here in Texas it's legal to hunt turkeys with a rifle. And what kind of 22? 223, 22 hornet, 22 mag, 22 stinger, 22 lr, 222. Give me the details.

you arent ready to live until your ready to die

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-19-2012, 04:03 AM   #2

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I don't think I would hunt a gobbler with a rifle just because I enjoy using my bow, but I guess if I did I would use a 17HMR I get 1" groups at 50 yards with it so I guess it would be good for a head shot on a gobbler

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 04-19-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 35

All depends on yardage you're seeing these Turkey. If everything is within 100yds then a 22Mag is very doable with a good 9 to 12 power scope. If over 100yds but within 250yds then a 223 for ammo cheapness. If going this route, be sure to get a good bolt action as it will be more accurate and a very good scope in variable power of up to around 16 power for more precise shooting and better picture of what bird you want to shoot if there's more than one to choose from, and they're so close together to make out one bird from another. Look to Weaver, Nikon, Vortex, Clearridge, Leupold and others for good scopes that don't change their POI when going from one power to another. A rifle bipod also might be in order for this route if the terrain permits. I wish my State of Missouri allowed rifles, but with some of the Hunter's I've dealt with in the woods, I can see why not.
Del