Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .223 / 5.56mm for coyotes.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts

Default .223 / 5.56mm for coyotes.

I am thinking about using my ar15 for coyotes but all the ammo I have for it is fmj. That's also all I can find in stores if I'm lucky enough to find any to begin with. Is fmj ethical to use for coyotes? If the .223 / 5.56 fmj isn't I could take my dad's 91-30 mosin.

forumrunner_20130626_135417.jpg

forumrunner_20130626_135450.jpg

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-26-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1727 Times on 958 Posts
Likes Given: 5270

If you are 'hunting' them, then all of the information such as license fees, season, restrictions (including cartridge definitions) should be in your state's Hunting Regulations. If your state allows FMJs, then of course it's ethical. FMJs can quickly do the job (below)

If you are protecting persons, your flock, herd or other animals on your property, it is no longer the same ethics question.
I would use a rock, axe, digging bar, fmj, or automobile if it would stop a loss of person or property.

Your state may differ with my opinion, but WA state is pretty good for using lethal force in the protection of person or property. I personally have not heard of any problems with people taking care of their own in my neck of the woods. It is rural/farm/range.

Taking out the one bad apple may change pack behavior such that you have not problems for some time.
The .223/5.56 works fine on dispatching Coyotes. As always, shot placement may be more important aspect of terminal ballistics and effectiveness
Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
If you are 'hunting' them, then all of the information such as license fees, season, restrictions (including cartridge definitions) should be in your state's Hunting Regulations. If your state allows FMJs, then of course it's ethical. FMJs can quickly do the job (below)

If you are protecting persons, your flock, herd or other animals on your property, it is no longer the same ethics question.
I would use a rock, axe, digging bar, fmj, or automobile if it would stop a loss of person or property.

Your state may differ with my opinion, but WA state is pretty good for using lethal force in the protection of person or property. I personally have not heard of any problems with people taking care of their own in my neck of the woods. It is rural/farm/range.

Taking out the one bad apple may change pack behavior such that you have not problems for some time.
The .223/5.56 works fine on dispatching Coyotes. As always, shot placement may be more important aspect of terminal ballistics and effectiveness
I live in Indiana and there are no firearm restrictions for moondogs. I will have to check for restrictions on loads. I plan to sell the furs.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy420 View Post

I live in Indiana and there are no firearm restrictions for moondogs. I will have to check for restrictions on loads. I plan to sell the furs.
I checked and it didn't say anything about fmj for fox and moondogs.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1727 Times on 958 Posts
Likes Given: 5270

Quote:
I checked and it didn't say anything about fmj for fox and moondogs.
Although FMJs may not be specifically stated, they may be negated by other language. Such as 'soft points' or other exclusive requirments.

Fox and Coyote.. I am familiar with. MoonDogs? Beyond my range!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_dog

Old 06-26-2013, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:

Although FMJs may not be specifically stated, they may be negated by other language. Such as 'soft points' or other exclusive requirments.

Moondogs are coyotes. I just started calling them that about a year ago and the name stuck.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:

Again, it didn't say anything about it. The book just said there wasn't any restrictions for firearms on foxes and moondogs (coyotes) .
Old 06-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

[QUOTE=randy420;1287447]I am thinking about using my ar15 for coyotes but all the ammo I have for it is fmj. That's also all I can find in stores if I'm lucky enough to find any to begin with. Is fmj ethical to use for coyotes? If the .223 / 5.56 fmj isn't I could take my dad's 91-30 mosin.

In NC, IIRC, it open season on coyotes - no license, no restrictions (where firing rifles is OK). If you're CCW, and approached/threated, that is OK - although you better be sure of the target area.

They have spread to all 100 counties in NC over the last decade or so. Don't leave little Fe-fee out at night -we lost smaller pets that way. Ours are very cagey.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1069 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
I am thinking about using my ar15 for coyotes but all the ammo I have for it is fmj. That's also all I can find in stores if I'm lucky enough to find any to begin with. Is fmj ethical to use for coyotes? If the .223 / 5.56 fmj isn't I could take my dad's 91-30 mosin.

In NC, IIRC, it open season on coyotes - no license, no restrictions (where firing rifles is OK). If you're CCW, and approached/threated, that is OK - although you better be sure of the target area.

They have spread to all 100 counties in NC over the last decade or so. Don't leave little Fe-fee out at night -we lost smaller pets that way. Ours are very cagey.

Old 06-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #10

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

You need to remember, your kill zone is very small and coyotes are very fast. A carbine w/ a 16" barrel and I'm not sure what kind of optic that is can be put to shame by Wyley Coyote. I was using a HB DCM w/ a 20" barrel and a 3-9x32mm carbine scope. It was enough in the woods, but was severely lacking at distance when they were moving. I changed to a CZ527 Varminter w/ a Sightron SII Big sky 6.5-20x42mmAO. It is a great low light, night time optic when the moon is close to full. I also use a Browning A-bolt Gold Medalion .22WMR topped w/ and older Bushnell Trophy 3-9x42mm around home. Rimfire only. You can get one a night if you are pateint. A 12ga w/ #4 lead works great under 50 yards and if you can bait it is a deadly combo w/ a semi auto. I get pig hearts and livers, freeze them. Pull them out the night before and put them in a 5gal bucket w/ a tight lid. I use a 50lb nylon onion sack, put the bloody parts in and steak them out in a clearing. Let the yotes get into a frenzy trying to get them and run, then let loose.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.