Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   .223 / 5.56mm for coyotes. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/223-5-56mm-coyotes-92938/)

randy420 06-26-2013 05:55 PM

.223 / 5.56mm for coyotes.

2 Attachment(s)
I am thinking about using my ar15 for coyotes but all the ammo I have for it is fmj. That's also all I can find in stores if I'm lucky enough to find any to begin with. Is fmj ethical to use for coyotes? If the .223 / 5.56 fmj isn't I could take my dad's 91-30 mosin.

Attachment 107653

Attachment 107654

KG7IL 06-26-2013 06:56 PM

If you are 'hunting' them, then all of the information such as license fees, season, restrictions (including cartridge definitions) should be in your state's Hunting Regulations. If your state allows FMJs, then of course it's ethical. FMJs can quickly do the job (below)

If you are protecting persons, your flock, herd or other animals on your property, it is no longer the same ethics question.
I would use a rock, axe, digging bar, fmj, or automobile if it would stop a loss of person or property.

Your state may differ with my opinion, but WA state is pretty good for using lethal force in the protection of person or property. I personally have not heard of any problems with people taking care of their own in my neck of the woods. It is rural/farm/range.

Taking out the one bad apple may change pack behavior such that you have not problems for some time.
The .223/5.56 works fine on dispatching Coyotes. As always, shot placement may be more important aspect of terminal ballistics and effectiveness

randy420 06-26-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1287473)
If you are 'hunting' them, then all of the information such as license fees, season, restrictions (including cartridge definitions) should be in your state's Hunting Regulations. If your state allows FMJs, then of course it's ethical. FMJs can quickly do the job (below)

If you are protecting persons, your flock, herd or other animals on your property, it is no longer the same ethics question.
I would use a rock, axe, digging bar, fmj, or automobile if it would stop a loss of person or property.

Your state may differ with my opinion, but WA state is pretty good for using lethal force in the protection of person or property. I personally have not heard of any problems with people taking care of their own in my neck of the woods. It is rural/farm/range.

Taking out the one bad apple may change pack behavior such that you have not problems for some time.
The .223/5.56 works fine on dispatching Coyotes. As always, shot placement may be more important aspect of terminal ballistics and effectiveness

I live in Indiana and there are no firearm restrictions for moondogs. I will have to check for restrictions on loads. I plan to sell the furs.

randy420 06-26-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy420 (Post 1287480)

I live in Indiana and there are no firearm restrictions for moondogs. I will have to check for restrictions on loads. I plan to sell the furs.

I checked and it didn't say anything about fmj for fox and moondogs.

KG7IL 06-26-2013 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy420 (Post 1287486)
I checked and it didn't say anything about fmj for fox and moondogs.

Although FMJs may not be specifically stated, they may be negated by other language. Such as 'soft points' or other exclusive requirments.

Fox and Coyote.. I am familiar with. MoonDogs? Beyond my range!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_dog

randy420 06-26-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1287502)

Although FMJs may not be specifically stated, they may be negated by other language. Such as 'soft points' or other exclusive requirments.

Moondogs are coyotes. I just started calling them that about a year ago and the name stuck.

randy420 06-26-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KG7IL (Post 1287502)

Again, it didn't say anything about it. The book just said there wasn't any restrictions for firearms on foxes and moondogs (coyotes) .

johnr1943 06-26-2013 08:26 PM

[QUOTE=randy420;1287447]I am thinking about using my ar15 for coyotes but all the ammo I have for it is fmj. That's also all I can find in stores if I'm lucky enough to find any to begin with. Is fmj ethical to use for coyotes? If the .223 / 5.56 fmj isn't I could take my dad's 91-30 mosin.

In NC, IIRC, it open season on coyotes - no license, no restrictions (where firing rifles is OK). If you're CCW, and approached/threated, that is OK - although you better be sure of the target area.

They have spread to all 100 counties in NC over the last decade or so. Don't leave little Fe-fee out at night -we lost smaller pets that way. Ours are very cagey. :)

johnr1943 06-26-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randy420 (Post 1287447)
I am thinking about using my ar15 for coyotes but all the ammo I have for it is fmj. That's also all I can find in stores if I'm lucky enough to find any to begin with. Is fmj ethical to use for coyotes? If the .223 / 5.56 fmj isn't I could take my dad's 91-30 mosin.

In NC, IIRC, it open season on coyotes - no license, no restrictions (where firing rifles is OK). If you're CCW, and approached/threated, that is OK - although you better be sure of the target area.

They have spread to all 100 counties in NC over the last decade or so. Don't leave little Fe-fee out at night -we lost smaller pets that way. Ours are very cagey. :)

jpattersonnh 06-26-2013 10:18 PM

You need to remember, your kill zone is very small and coyotes are very fast. A carbine w/ a 16" barrel and I'm not sure what kind of optic that is can be put to shame by Wyley Coyote. I was using a HB DCM w/ a 20" barrel and a 3-9x32mm carbine scope. It was enough in the woods, but was severely lacking at distance when they were moving. I changed to a CZ527 Varminter w/ a Sightron SII Big sky 6.5-20x42mmAO. It is a great low light, night time optic when the moon is close to full. I also use a Browning A-bolt Gold Medalion .22WMR topped w/ and older Bushnell Trophy 3-9x42mm around home. Rimfire only. You can get one a night if you are pateint. A 12ga w/ #4 lead works great under 50 yards and if you can bait it is a deadly combo w/ a semi auto. I get pig hearts and livers, freeze them. Pull them out the night before and put them in a 5gal bucket w/ a tight lid. I use a 50lb nylon onion sack, put the bloody parts in and steak them out in a clearing. Let the yotes get into a frenzy trying to get them and run, then let loose.