.223/5.56 for deer

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .223/5.56 for deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default .223/5.56 for deer

In the state of Louisiana I am trying to find out if it is legal to hunt whitetail deer with .223/5.56, or what would be the smallest caliber legal to hunt them? I want to bring my daughter on her 1st deer hunt & I thought one of my AR's might be good for her to shoot for the low recoil & accuracy. Thanks in advance for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
The Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries (LDWF) is now offering a free information hotline to the public that will cover popular season dates and regulations.

The public can call the toll free hotline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-256-2749. As seasons are set, LDWF will update the hotline with the most current information.
http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/news/34602

The little Miss may lose interest if she has to track one or watch it twitch for ten minutes. You might let her try a 30-30 first.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/publication/35748-2013-14-la-hunting-regulations-revised/2013-2014_la_hunting_regulations_-_revised.pdf

Quote:
It is illegal to hunt or shoot deer with firearms
smaller than .22 caliber center-fire or
a shotgun loaded with anything other than
buckshot or rifled slug. Handguns may be
used for hunting.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1215 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnklump
In the state of Louisiana I am trying to find out if it is legal to hunt whitetail deer with .223/5.56, or what would be the smallest caliber legal to hunt them? I want to bring my daughter on her 1st deer hunt & I thought one of my AR's might be good for her to shoot for the low recoil & accuracy. Thanks in advance for your help.
It's legal. Half my hunting club used it when I lived there. The other half used shotguns. Had 1 guy with a 7mm mag and we made fun of him for it constantly. His stand had a 75 yard shooting lane. That was the long one. The others were about 50.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 11-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #4

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF
It's legal. Half my hunting club used it when I lived there. The other half used shotguns. Had 1 guy with a 7mm mag and we made fun of him for it constantly. His stand had a 75 yard shooting lane. That was the long one. The others were about 50.
Ha! Now that IS funny!