Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .223/5.56 AR15 good for Varmint Hunting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default .223/5.56 AR15 good for Varmint Hunting?

Hi, I just bought an AR15 and already had a BSA Red Dot Scope. I'm currently getting an AR Riser to raise the scope a little to get in line with my front iron sight.

Next weekend I'm traveling over 200 miles to the country to hang out with a friend that has started squirrel hunting. I don't have experience Varmint Hunting, but was wondering what everybody's opinion is on using the AR15 for Varmint Hunting.

As I've seen, there are mixed opinions, and I'm aware the AR15 is great for multiple applications.

How good is the AR15 as a Varmint Hunting Rifle? What about the ammo it uses (.223 Remington/5.56mm NATO)? (my friend claims he used his AK (7.62mm) to shoot a squirrel, and it turned out fine) Is there a large difference between different type of ammunition with hunting small games like Squirrel (Ball rounds, military ball rounds, target ammo, military target ammo, hollow points, soft points, ect.)?

Also, I have a Red Dot Sight. Is this a pretty good optics to use. I know I might not be able to go a great distance away from a Varmint with this, but I'm thinking it can be accurate and very easy to use nonetheless. I'm not much of a scope person, and have experience with military Aimpoints.

What are your opinions on this?
Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The .223/.556 will kill them yotes as well as any firearm out there, plus the bonus of hunting with a really cool gun. You may want to re-think the .223 for those tree rats though, try .22 rim fire IMFreak'nO. Hey, just have fun and be safe.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:20 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The AR makes an excellent rifle for varmints but I don't consider squirrels to be varmints-they're too good to eat. If you have a .22 rimfire that would work out great.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:47 AM   #4

Good advice, guys! I'm very much still excited that I decided to buy the AR15. There's so much I can do with it, and being in the Navy gives me more pride in owning one, since the US Military still uses it as the primary firearm. I should have fun shooting some varmints this weekend (for the first time I might add).

Currently on Tour as Military Instructor in Virginia Beach, VA. Navy Pistol Expert, Navy Shotgun Course Expert, Naval Boarding Team Experience, M60 Boat Gunner, 50 Cal Machine Gun and 25mm Chain Gun Captain. Experienced in various large firearms including the Surface Launched Torpedoes. Own more than 5 personal firearms of every type known.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 AM   #5

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Check the regs I don't think you can use a centerfire rifles on squirrels. Your limit is 6 a day of red or fox unless you are west of teh blue ridge then you have some different rules.

As for varmints the Ar is showing up more and more on the P dog fields. I would carry one for ground hogs just so I could slap 20 rounds in the mag and carry 1 spare and be done with it.

I use a Remington 700 VLS in 223 as my varmint rifle.

the 223 is a great varmint round it offers low recoil and doesn't heat the barrel as fast a the bigger 22-250 and 220 swift and 223 WSSM.

Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The .223 is also a great round to hunt coyotes with! I'm looking forward to getting my AR with scope dialed in to 200 yards so I can bag a few coyote pelts. I have a tentative trip to the range planned for the weekend. I hope the fair weather holds up.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kusterleXD View Post
The .223 is also a great round to hunt coyotes with! I'm looking forward to getting my AR with scope dialed in to 200 yards so I can bag a few coyote pelts. I have a tentative trip to the range planned for the weekend. I hope the fair weather holds up.
Yeah. I'm thinking of getting a telescopic scope bought for my AR at some point. Right now I have a Red Dot Scope that isn't telescopic, but it sure makes targeting easier, and would make hitting moving targets a little easier too.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #8

Anyone have a quick link to the net of a site that may help me figure out what I'm supposed to do once I actually shoot a varmint? My friend back west that I'm seeing may know, but just in case, I'd like to read about it inexpensively and quick if possible.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:20 PM   #9

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

What you do after you shoot them NOTHING.

We take ground hogs and throw them back in the hole close to where you made the internal organs into external organs.

Other than that we leave them to the yotes and buzzards.

Here is what a ground hog looks like after taking a 50gr V-Max out of a 223.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #10

Whoa! That's not necessarily clean, but it looks like it did a fine job. V maxs are hollowpoints?