.22 Mag - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .22 Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 181 Times on 134 Posts

I've taken plenty of feral cats and coons with mine. All dead with in 5 yards and a few seconds. My favorite varmint rifle

Old 05-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #22

Liked 286 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Here's one, well not really, my dad was bear hunting up in PA. He was late and all he had was his brothers .22 hornet, the bear came out ran right by him but he couldn't get a shot, the guy next to him dropped it with a 30-06.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #23

Liked 276 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Haven't fired a .22 mag (yet), but I've killed a deer with a .22lr.

No, I didn't fill it full of lead to see if a .22 could kill one, my cousin hit it and wounded it, so I finished it with a headshot.
Humane and clean.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1971 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
A .22 Mag from a 6" pistol is more powerful than any .22 LR from a rifle, to put things in perspective. But a shorter barreled .22, although better than nothing, is not an efficiently powerful round. Short? Although the best choices in .22 Mag pistol are recent, like the 45 grain Hornady Criitical Defense I splurged on for my 4" barreled backpacking pistol, bigger is generally better -- there's more surface area to push on.
It is more powerful in a 6" but drop down to 4" and it is a close match. Really falls off badly in 3" and 2". There is actually no advantage to the 22 mag over the 22 lr in a 2" barrel and the 22lr may even be a little hotter.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-28-2013, 02:18 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Coyotes up to 75 yards + or -.........

Old 05-29-2013, 10:32 AM   #26

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have shot a bunch of prairie dogs with a 22 WMR rifle before I got a 17 HMR rifle.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #27

Liked 374 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Shot heaps of rabbits, a few foxes and plenty of Kangaroo's (under permit) and my son got his 1st 3 goats with it(Stirling .22magnum) shot in the head at around 20-30 yds. Haven't shot a pig yet with it but that may happen sometime in the future.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 06-05-2013, 08:07 AM   #28

Liked 374 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
I thought all you down under folks had to turn in your guns and johnsons in exchange for false security and woman parts.

So what's the deal can Aussies and New Zealanders own guns?
We certainly can just about anything from air rifles up to .50 cal rifles. Shotguns and semi auto guns under different permits. We just can't own some of the toys you lot can have because our jelly spined politicians are scared we may use them on them.

I own 9 rifles and 1 shotgun plus I've got a .458 AccRel on the books waiting to be built plus probably a .338/06 as another toy and my son who's on a juniors permit owns 2 guns but the guns are in my name till he turns 18.

Mates of mine own .458 AccRels,.505 Gibbs,.460 Wetherby Magnums,.416 Rigby's plus heaps of other smaller calibres.

We hunt here in Australia feral cats and dogs, rabbits, foxes, goats, pigs, donkeys, camels,feral horses, Banteng and Scrub cattle plus water buffalo plus at least 6 species of deer.

The lying thieving rodents that are our politicians here reckon that we have a "gun culture" similar to what you boys have which is so far from the truth it's laughable.
The anti gun wankers tell that much crap it's hard to tell when they're actually telling fact but a lot of people who have no idea about guns believe what the media and these idiots spout.

Don't worry between New Zealand and us there is a very healthy hunting and shooting population something that doesn't sit well with a lot of politicians and anti groups.

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 06-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #29
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Default ..22mag.

Don't have anything yet with my new Ones(Kel-Tec Carbine and Ruger LCR) but once got a 30+ lb Wild turkey with my old H&R 9 shot .22magnum in upstate NY.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 06-06-2013, 03:18 AM   #30

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairbear1
there is a very healthy hunting and shooting population something that doesn't sit well with a lot of politicians and anti groups.
well that's good for the rest of society.

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.