Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > .22 Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
A coyote at 125 yards w/ a 40gr Maxi mag. Right through the ear. Rifles make the difference also. Mine is an absolute tack driver. An older Browning A-bolt Gold Medallion w/ a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x42mm that has the old amber glow optics for low light.
QFT
I have an older Marlin (783) that is spot on. The glass is not near as good as yours but the round goes where the cross-hairs meet.

People been trying to get that gun off me for a while now.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-25-2013, 03:28 AM   #12

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

The reason I asked was ruger has a new CCW .22 mag revolver. The article I read was dissing the idea of a .22mag as a defense gun. I sorta thought that was uncool.

Having never killed anything with one I was wondering. I couldn't figure out how 2 or 3 .22s in the sternum made anyone less dead than a larger calibur.

Of course having said that, I am a proponent of the .45 acp but I didn't see the point of capping on the new ruger gun.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:41 AM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1714 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 545

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerjob View Post
The reason I asked was ruger has a new CCW .22 mag revolver. The article I read was dissing the idea of a .22mag as a defense gun. I sorta thought that was uncool.

Having never killed anything with one I was wondering. I couldn't figure out how 2 or 3 .22s in the sternum made anyone less dead than a larger calibur.

Of course having said that, I am a proponent of the .45 acp but I didn't see the point of capping on the new ruger gun.
The 22 mag in a pistol is roughly equivalent to a 22lr in a rifle and they can be deadly.
As for the shot, it was an Arctic fox in Alaska through the ear at 70 yards and yes I had a trapping license which was needed to take fur bearing animals. I had a Mossberg bolt action rifle which was very accurate and it was over 50 years ago.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 05-25-2013, 03:42 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1948 Times on 1045 Posts
Likes Given: 2895

This boar hog weighed about 200 pounds on the hoof. He was shot with a .22 magnum rifle from a tree stand while drinking at a pond. The stick shows the path of the 40 grain total metal jacket bullet. The hog went about 80 yards after being hit, fell over, grunted a few and expired. Yep, the .22 magnum is not a world class hog gun. However, one of the places i hunt is 18,000 acres of federal property. Outside deer and elk season we are restricted to shotguns and small shot and rimfire rifles. i have killed a few dozen hogs there using a .22 magnum rifle.

Last edited by alsaqr; 05-25-2013 at 03:46 AM.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #15

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

A .22 Mag from a 6" pistol is more powerful than any .22 LR from a rifle, to put things in perspective. But a shorter barreled .22, although better than nothing, is not an efficiently powerful round. Short? Although the best choices in .22 Mag pistol are recent, like the 45 grain Hornady Criitical Defense I splurged on for my 4" barreled backpacking pistol, bigger is generally better -- there's more surface area to push on.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:47 AM   #16

Liked 67 Times on 37 Posts

Default 22 mag... how about 22LR?

Can I drop a notch down in power? In N Canada in the 60's the Super-X ammo in 22LR was highly valued for larger game. I was helping a 70 year old trapper on a lease overrun with early spring bear-classed as furbearers at that time. I shot several (two in one day). The rifle that did the job was a Ruger 10-22, one shot per bear. I would not not take a frontal head shot, but wait for a side, base of ear shot. I believe we got 12 bear that spring (the old trapper carried a 32 spl).

Old 05-25-2013, 03:59 AM   #17

Liked 263 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk
Can I drop a notch down in power? In N Canada in the 60's the Super-X ammo in 22LR was highly valued for larger game. I was helping a 70 year old trapper on a lease overrun with early spring bear-classed as furbearers at that time. I shot several (two in one day). The rifle that did the job was a Ruger 10-22, one shot per bear. I would not not take a frontal head shot, but wait for a side, base of ear shot. I believe we got 12 bear that spring (the old trapper carried a 32 spl).
That's amazing

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 05-25-2013, 04:26 AM   #18

SRK97 there's more tales from the north!
On a winter moose hunt with a Native friend, I saw him take a neck shot at 75yds with my borrowed 24C O/U, 20ga slug. Saw the slug hit the snow well under (slug bbl grouped 4" low @ 50yd). The big bull turned toward us, and I saw old Fred pull the hammer back again, aim carefully, and fire the 22! I saw the moose give the slightest start as the Native desperately dug into the 5 shot box of slugs that I held out. We shifted our attention back to the bull. He was laid out-stone dead. The 22LR SuperX had hit the bottom inch of the heart!

Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 AM   #19

Liked 263 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6_5swedeforelk
SRK97 there's more tales from the north!
On a winter moose hunt with a Native friend, I saw him take a neck shot at 75yds with my borrowed 24C O/U, 20ga slug. Saw the slug hit the snow well under (slug bbl grouped 4" low @ 50yd). The big bull turned toward us, and I saw old Fred pull the hammer back again, aim carefully, and fire the 22! I saw the moose give the slightest start as the Native desperately dug into the 5 shot box of slugs that I held out. We shifted our attention back to the bull. He was laid out-stone dead. The 22LR SuperX had hit the bottom inch of the heart!
That's another great one, if you have any other story's id live to hear them.

Mamas don't let your cowboys grow up to be babies.
better dead than red

Old 05-25-2013, 05:09 AM   #20

SRK97... I dare not tell about the game gotten with a Colt Woodsman Sport, nor the drastic measure to stop a camp-raiding bear, involving the O/U, some ducttape etc! Statute of Limitations question & all.

Signing off, back to Can. forum. CU

Newest Threads