2012 Hunting season kills - Page 4

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 2012 Hunting season kills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:16 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have Cadillac stand set up on family property, it sits on a ridge overlooking 2 hollers. Yesterday we got out good and early before light up. We sat and waited, I have a shooting lanes in 3 directions, I saw a white flicker of a tail on the south side lane. I starting poking at my son to get him ready, he raised the mini 14 he had been practicing with all summer. I stared in anticipation and we both waited, my son had the gun to his shoulder and was trying to scope a shot. Suddenly the wind changed and all I could make out was the white of a raised tail trotting away with no shot fired.
We waited a while longer and no return or chasing bucks. We climbed down and headed over to the next ridge on foot, no stand up on that side yet. We can move slowly and still hunt easily, we moved slowly and looked over the brushy north side were I usually see the deer move thru, the south side of this ridge is open woods mostly. We stalk within 50 yds of the edge and open field, I see movement on the south side! Busted by the same 2 doe from the other ridge! Darn!
We head the the back 40 acres of my uncle's field where I see a lot of deer and my brother missed a shooter buck the week before. We found a good spot over looking a heavily travelled holler and an open field crossing spot. Shooting would be 125 or less to the open field and 50 yds to the holler. No luck here either, didn't see any movement.
Day 2, we did not wake up early, it was around 8 o'clock and took an hour to get my son around , I also asked my daughter if she wanted to go but she stayed home. I head out to the family farm and Cadillac stand, I pull into my brother's drive and right the beside his house is this buck chasing a hot doe! The are 50 yds from us and don't care, other things on there mind. I have buck fever in he truck grabbing a gun from the case knocking over my coffee, stopping briefly to see if they are still there, they are! I get the gun out, hit the mag release, the gun case handle is wrapped around my scope, I can't think straight. I did tell my son to step out side without making much noise with the door, he did it perfectly, deer still there! I get the soft case handle off the scope and started shuffling thru my ammo bag, 1st 223, 2nd box, more 223, 3rd box 6.8! I Reloading my own and use the same size boxes from work, I label the load and recipe. I popped in a couple of rounds and closed the bolt, safety was on. I looked up and the deer were still there, the doe made a circle and crossed in front of us, the buck was coming. I told my son the buck will cross the same place so get ready. The buck stepped up and I made a fawn bawl sound with my mouth and he stopped for a broadside shot, bang! My son let the 110 gr Vmax go, I saw the buck kick up the back feet, it has to be hit I thought! I saw the buck run down the holler behind my brother's house, we waited and we saw the doe come back and cross the road above us. My son asked if we need the gun, I said wait, the buck is not chasing anymore, he must be down! I started the zigzag pattern for the blood trail, not much luck, only a few drops! I asked my son about were he shot, we rehearse every year head or lung, he aimed for the lungs. I am not seeing a lot of blood, 50 yds into the holler and not seeing any! I am on the phone with my wife and telling her about and my son and brother are ahead looking still and my son yells 'I found it! ', what relief! We drug it up close to the road and loaded up, hung it at my brothers and cleaned it. What fun hunt! We will do a European mount for him.!

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 11-05-2012, 12:58 AM   #32

Liked 97 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68
Well, this old man was able to fill his Mule Deer Doe tag, this year.
Congratulations on a successful hunt! Your determination and love of the sport are a real inspiration.

Old 11-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
My son killed a 5 pt this morning during youth rifle hunt! I'm so proud of him!
Well done. Congratulations.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1277 Times on 869 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

Wifes great nephew, youth hunt, taken Sunday after noon, 10 pointer, taken with my Handi-rifle in .243...........

noah-s-10-pointer.jpg  

When all else fails.

People Like This 
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #35

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom
Wifes great nephew, youth hunt, taken Sunday after noon, 10 pointer, taken with my Handi-rifle in .243...........
Who killed the other one? Nice buck.

Old 11-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1221 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 517

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Excellent. Don't let the folks bad mouthing H&R's in the Rifle Section see this picture.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #37

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Knocked this one down with my bow on Nov. 5th about 7AM.. He was cruising, looking for some love..

image-806532958.jpg   image-329675505.jpg  
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1154 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 691

congrats.. nice deer.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #39

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTEX
Knocked this one down with my bow on Nov. 5th about 7AM.. He was cruising, looking for some love..
Nice mmissouri buck jtex

Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #40

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks guys! I'm pretty proud of him! Biggest bow buck yet!