2012 Hunting season kills - Page 3


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 2012 Hunting season kills

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RiverRat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
Posts: 149
Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

Well, this old man was able to fill his Mule Deer Doe tag, this year. After hunting the first 2 days, and having to quit, because of medical problems, I couldn't take the altitude. You see I have Parkinson's' Disease and acute bronchitis, yeah, I tote one of those O2 bottles where ever I go, but at age 74 I'm too young to give up hunting. The week after the opener, I was talking to a co-worker, Phil Hiller and we discussed the possibilities of going North again to Wells, NV. for the last 3 days of the season. We decided to stay at a motel, and we left work at noon on Thursday. Friday we worked an area that I had hunted before, near Angel Lake, but never laid eyes on a deer. Most of this area is large ranches. After spotting deer in the late afternoon, and requesting permission to hunt, I began to get tired of hearing polite refusals. Then there was one rancher who granted us permission. There were 3 Doe that we could see and after a short stalk, I laid my Mini-14 across the top rail of pole gate. All I had to do now was to control the tremors from the Parkinson's'. With the cross hairs dancing all over the place, I started to breathe in a regular pattern and the tremors just about stopped. At this time, I was having a problem getting a sight picture on the largest Doe. Then she stepped clear of the other 2 and I settled the cross hairs on what I thought would be perfect shot placement, just as Phil said to me 137 yards. I still don't remembering squeezing the trigger, only that the sound of the shot sounded 1/4 of a mile away. At the sound of the shot, she hunched up, turned toward me, took two hops, the third hop, her hind legs went out from under her, and there were a few front leg kicks, as she was DRT. After gutting her we went back into town to eat. Then we realized that since we were staying at a motel, we would have to find a place to skin her. This was solved by a guy that Phil met a few years earlier. The three of us about froze during the skinning. We then found that the hand loads I was using worked great. The bullet shattered the right front leg, blew out the top of the heart, and left a nickle sized hole in a rib on the left side. All said and done, it sure made the 800 mile round trip worth while.
I have the Red jacket on and Phil the head band. The top pic of the heart is the entry wound and the bottom pic the exit wound.


2012-doe-season-010.jpg   2012-doe-season-002.jpg   2012-doe-season-007.jpg   2012-doe-season-011.jpg  
__________________

Last edited by RiverRat68; 11-01-2012 at 03:38 AM.
RiverRat68 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68
Well, this old man was able to fill his Mule Deer Doe tag, this year. After hunting the first 2 days, and having to quit, because of medical problems, I couldn't take the altitude. You see I have Parkinson's' Disease and acute bronchitis, yeah, I tote one of those O2 bottles where ever I go, but at age 74 I'm too young to give up hunting. The week after the opener, I was talking to a co-worker, Phil Hiller and we discussed the possibilities of going North again to Wells, NV. for the last 3 days of the season. We decided to stay at a motel, and we left work at noon on Thursday. Friday we worked an area that I had hunted before, near Angel Lake, but never laid eyes on a deer. Most of this area is large ranches. After spotting deer in the late afternoon, and requesting permission to hunt, I began to get tired of hearing polite refusals. Then there was one rancher who granted us permission. There were 3 Doe that we could see and after a short stalk, I laid my Mini-14 across the top rail of pole gate. All I had to do now was to control the tremors from the Parkinson's'. With the cross hairs dancing all over the place, I started to breathe in a regular pattern and the tremors just about stopped. At this time, I was having a problem getting a sight picture on the largest Doe. Then she stepped clear of the other 2 and I settled the cross hairs on what I thought would be perfect shot placement, just as Phil said to me 137 yards. I still don't remembering squeezing the trigger, only that the sound of the shot sounded 1/4 of a mile away. At the sound of the shot, she hunched up, turned toward me, took two hops, the third hop, her hind legs went out from under her, and there were a few front leg kicks, as she was DRT. After gutting her we went back into town to eat. Then we realized that since we were staying at a motel, we would have to find a place to skin her. This was solved by a guy that Phil met a few years earlier. The three of us about froze during the skinning. We then found that the hand loads I was using worked great. The bullet shattered the right front leg, blew out the top of the heart, and left a nickle sized hole in a rib on the left side. All said and done, it sure made the 800 mile round trip worth while.
I have the Red jacket on and Phil the head band. The top pic of the heart is the entry wound and the bottom pic the exit wound.
Congratulations sir. I killed two in western utah earlier this fall. Didmt think to take pics w my phone. One was at 415 and the other was at 125. Both w 175gr barnes triple shocks out of the 7.82.


__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #23
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RiverRat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
Posts: 149
Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default Thank You

Thank you, Marlinman, I appreciate the comments!!
__________________
RiverRat68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #24
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,267
Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

Default

Well my son and I did go elk hunting. Didn't see any elk though. I had a clean shot at a buck and a doe. But it was probably because we didnt have a deer tag. Both of them just stood there looking at me for a solid minute. Maybe 90 or 100 yards off. My Contender was in the holster. Too bad. I could have easily dropped either of them. Oh well...it was a great father and son weekend anyway.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tri70's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Siloam Springs,Arkansas
Posts: 1,324
Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

Default

My son killed a 5 pt this morning during youth rifle hunt! I'm so proud of him!

forumrunner_20121104_144842.jpg   forumrunner_20121104_144857.jpg  
__________________

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

tri70 is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #26
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
My son killed a 5 pt this morning during youth rifle hunt! I'm so proud of him!
Nice little buck. My little cousin shot at a trotting 10 this morning at 100 yards. Buck fever caused him to miss. It was chasen a doe amd wouldn't stop for anything
__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
tomgodd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: VineGrove,Kentucky
Posts: 1,236
Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
My son killed a 5 pt this morning during youth rifle hunt! I'm so proud of him!
That's awesome! Congrats to you both. My don and I went a few weeks ago and did not see a thing. There is hope though. In December there is another youth hunt.
__________________

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

tomgodd is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jjfuller1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: a place between here and there.
Posts: 4,463
Liked 1153 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
My son killed a 5 pt this morning during youth rifle hunt! I'm so proud of him!
mm backstrap for dinner!
__________________
I have been a silent witness
to all of America's finest hours.
But my finest hour comes
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.
jjfuller1 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
RiverRat68's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Las Vegas,Nevada
Posts: 149
Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default

tri70, Congrats to both you and your son. Danged nice buck, was this his first?? What was the distance and weapon?? How about a little more details.

__________________
RiverRat68 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68
tri70, Congrats to both you and your son. Danged nice buck, was this his first?? What was the distance and weapon?? How about a little more details.
Yes details are needed


__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Who's ready for hunting season? WestForkArmory Hunting Forum 26 09-01-2012 11:42 AM
hunting season 1911beast Hunting Forum 1 09-12-2011 03:43 AM
2010 Hunting Season spittinfire Hunting Forum 101 12-16-2010 10:07 PM
First day of hunting season Dzscubie The Club House 7 12-13-2010 06:40 PM