2012 Hunting season kills - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 2012 Hunting season kills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 120 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Well, this old man was able to fill his Mule Deer Doe tag, this year. After hunting the first 2 days, and having to quit, because of medical problems, I couldn't take the altitude. You see I have Parkinson's' Disease and acute bronchitis, yeah, I tote one of those O2 bottles where ever I go, but at age 74 I'm too young to give up hunting. The week after the opener, I was talking to a co-worker, Phil Hiller and we discussed the possibilities of going North again to Wells, NV. for the last 3 days of the season. We decided to stay at a motel, and we left work at noon on Thursday. Friday we worked an area that I had hunted before, near Angel Lake, but never laid eyes on a deer. Most of this area is large ranches. After spotting deer in the late afternoon, and requesting permission to hunt, I began to get tired of hearing polite refusals. Then there was one rancher who granted us permission. There were 3 Doe that we could see and after a short stalk, I laid my Mini-14 across the top rail of pole gate. All I had to do now was to control the tremors from the Parkinson's'. With the cross hairs dancing all over the place, I started to breathe in a regular pattern and the tremors just about stopped. At this time, I was having a problem getting a sight picture on the largest Doe. Then she stepped clear of the other 2 and I settled the cross hairs on what I thought would be perfect shot placement, just as Phil said to me 137 yards. I still don't remembering squeezing the trigger, only that the sound of the shot sounded 1/4 of a mile away. At the sound of the shot, she hunched up, turned toward me, took two hops, the third hop, her hind legs went out from under her, and there were a few front leg kicks, as she was DRT. After gutting her we went back into town to eat. Then we realized that since we were staying at a motel, we would have to find a place to skin her. This was solved by a guy that Phil met a few years earlier. The three of us about froze during the skinning. We then found that the hand loads I was using worked great. The bullet shattered the right front leg, blew out the top of the heart, and left a nickle sized hole in a rib on the left side. All said and done, it sure made the 800 mile round trip worth while.
I have the Red jacket on and Phil the head band. The top pic of the heart is the entry wound and the bottom pic the exit wound.

2012-doe-season-010.jpg   2012-doe-season-002.jpg   2012-doe-season-007.jpg   2012-doe-season-011.jpg  

Last edited by RiverRat68; 11-01-2012 at 03:38 AM.
People Like This 
Old 11-01-2012, 03:46 AM   #22

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68
Well, this old man was able to fill his Mule Deer Doe tag, this year. After hunting the first 2 days, and having to quit, because of medical problems, I couldn't take the altitude. You see I have Parkinson's' Disease and acute bronchitis, yeah, I tote one of those O2 bottles where ever I go, but at age 74 I'm too young to give up hunting. The week after the opener, I was talking to a co-worker, Phil Hiller and we discussed the possibilities of going North again to Wells, NV. for the last 3 days of the season. We decided to stay at a motel, and we left work at noon on Thursday. Friday we worked an area that I had hunted before, near Angel Lake, but never laid eyes on a deer. Most of this area is large ranches. After spotting deer in the late afternoon, and requesting permission to hunt, I began to get tired of hearing polite refusals. Then there was one rancher who granted us permission. There were 3 Doe that we could see and after a short stalk, I laid my Mini-14 across the top rail of pole gate. All I had to do now was to control the tremors from the Parkinson's'. With the cross hairs dancing all over the place, I started to breathe in a regular pattern and the tremors just about stopped. At this time, I was having a problem getting a sight picture on the largest Doe. Then she stepped clear of the other 2 and I settled the cross hairs on what I thought would be perfect shot placement, just as Phil said to me 137 yards. I still don't remembering squeezing the trigger, only that the sound of the shot sounded 1/4 of a mile away. At the sound of the shot, she hunched up, turned toward me, took two hops, the third hop, her hind legs went out from under her, and there were a few front leg kicks, as she was DRT. After gutting her we went back into town to eat. Then we realized that since we were staying at a motel, we would have to find a place to skin her. This was solved by a guy that Phil met a few years earlier. The three of us about froze during the skinning. We then found that the hand loads I was using worked great. The bullet shattered the right front leg, blew out the top of the heart, and left a nickle sized hole in a rib on the left side. All said and done, it sure made the 800 mile round trip worth while.
I have the Red jacket on and Phil the head band. The top pic of the heart is the entry wound and the bottom pic the exit wound.
Congratulations sir. I killed two in western utah earlier this fall. Didmt think to take pics w my phone. One was at 415 and the other was at 125. Both w 175gr barnes triple shocks out of the 7.82.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:53 AM   #23
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Thank You

Thank you, Marlinman, I appreciate the comments!!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:52 AM   #24

Liked 1917 Times on 1066 Posts
Likes Given: 1269

Well my son and I did go elk hunting. Didn't see any elk though. I had a clean shot at a buck and a doe. But it was probably because we didnt have a deer tag. Both of them just stood there looking at me for a solid minute. Maybe 90 or 100 yards off. My Contender was in the holster. Too bad. I could have easily dropped either of them. Oh well...it was a great father and son weekend anyway.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #25

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

My son killed a 5 pt this morning during youth rifle hunt! I'm so proud of him!

forumrunner_20121104_144842.jpg   forumrunner_20121104_144857.jpg  

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 11-04-2012, 08:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
Nice little buck. My little cousin shot at a trotting 10 this morning at 100 yards. Buck fever caused him to miss. It was chasen a doe amd wouldn't stop for anything

Old 11-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #27

Liked 374 Times on 264 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70
That's awesome! Congrats to you both. My don and I went a few weeks ago and did not see a thing. There is hope though. In December there is another youth hunt.

NEVER TAKE A SLEEPING PILL AND A LAXATIVE IN THE SAME NIGHT

Old 11-04-2012, 09:41 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1153 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri70 View Post
mm backstrap for dinner!
when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #29
RiverRat68
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

tri70, Congrats to both you and your son. Danged nice buck, was this his first?? What was the distance and weapon?? How about a little more details.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat68
tri70, Congrats to both you and your son. Danged nice buck, was this his first?? What was the distance and weapon?? How about a little more details.
Yes details are needed