Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   2011 Whitetail Thread (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/2011-whitetail-thread-49869/)

spittinfire 10-15-2011 11:05 AM

2011 Whitetail Thread
 
I haven't seen one yet and since I haven't taken one yet I haven't posted but we are well into the season here in NC and I'm sure in other places as well. How about some pics of what's been taken so far? Don't be shy if you've taken 3 doe already, they taste good too.

What are you guys hunting with? Right now it's bow season so I'm using an Apline with 65# draw and 100gr Grim Reaper broadheads.

I'm ready for gun season to start but it's still a few weeks out. Then I break out a pistol/rifle or two. :D

I'll be heading out here in about 30 minutes so hopefully I can add to this thread in a couple of hours.

fmj 10-15-2011 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 601850)
I haven't seen one yet and since I haven't taken one yet I haven't posted but we are well into the season here in NC and I'm sure in other places as well. How about some pics of what's been taken so far? Don't be shy if you've taken 3 doe already, they taste good too.

What are you guys hunting with? Right now it's bow season so I'm using an Apline with 65# draw and 100gr Grim Reaper broadheads.

I'm ready for gun season to start but it's still a few weeks out. Then I break out a pistol/rifle or two. :D

I'll be heading out here in about 30 minutes so hopefully I can add to this thread in a couple of hours.

Lost my place to hunt 2 weeks before bow opened 10-1.....so i am in a serious depression.

Earlier in the year my youngest says "Dad, as fun as going to the range with you is and all, do you think we could shoot at something more than just paper?" I say, "you mean you want to go hunting?" he says "Yeah. EXACTLY, i want to try my skill out on something that can actually move." I say, "Yeah, i think we can do that." thinking the whole time of my buddy stand set up overlooking a small field of grass and a stand of apple trees. Then a couple weeks later i get that dreaded call.

Driving my depression ever deeper. Finding a place to hunt around here is like finding a virgin in a whore house. And i DAMN SURE aint going to expose him to the war zone, errrr i mean, public ground during gun season.

As for me, i use a Reflex Growler, set to 55 lbs, slinging carbon fiber "buck stopper" arrows tipped with 125 grain 3 or 4 blade Muzzys.

BEAUTIFUL morning to hunt here in N. IN...when i let the dog out, i smelled the air, saw the big bright moon, felt the slight chill in the air.....and about cried! i should have a date with a tree!

GOOD LUCK BRO!!!

303tom 10-15-2011 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 601862)
Lost my place to hunt 2 weeks before bow opened 10-1.....so i am in a serious depression.

Earlier in the year my youngest says "Dad, as fun as going to the range with you is and all, do you think we could shoot at something more than just paper?" I say, "you mean you want to go hunting?" he says "Yeah. EXACTLY, i want to try my skill out on something that can actually move." I say, "Yeah, i think we can do that." thinking the whole time of my buddy stand set up overlooking a small field of grass and a stand of apple trees. Then a couple weeks later i get that dreaded call.

Driving my depression ever deeper. Finding a place to hunt around here is like finding a virgin in a whore house. And i DAMN SURE aint going to expose him to the war zone, errrr i mean, public ground during gun season.

As for me, i use a Reflex Growler, set to 55 lbs, slinging carbon fiber "buck stopper" arrows tipped with 125 grain 3 or 4 blade Muzzys.

BEAUTIFUL morning to hunt here in N. IN...when i let the dog out, i smelled the air, saw the big bright moon, felt the slight chill in the air.....and about cried! i should have a date with a tree!

GOOD LUCK BRO!!!


I have never dated a tree. ;) LOL, I know how it is to lose a place to hunt ! It Sucks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

spittinfire 10-22-2011 03:11 AM

I"m heading out again in the morning. It's suppose to be in the high 30s with a light frost, almost no wind, rut has started....should be good.

fmj 10-22-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 607322)
I"m heading out again in the morning. It's suppose to be in the high 30s with a light frost, almost no wind, rut has started....should be good.

Sweet, gotta love the rut...makes one think of teenage boys with a 6 pack in their bellies. Nothing makes a man stupid like the scent of a woman after a year of abstinence.

Headed out in the morning myself. forecast is for mid 30's sw wind at 5. Wish me luck, hunting city deer is tough at best.

I guess i should add after my last post. I ran into a guy at the local watering hole that has a place that backs up to 40 or so acres of "wasted" wetland/woods here in the heart of the city. He wanted me to come a couple years ago and take out the deer eating his garden but his wife was against it. Saying she enjoyed watching them in the mornings. A couple weeks ago her dog took issue with the deer being in his yard....long story short, hes lucky to be alive. Wifey decided those deer aint so cute anymore after finding her beloved puppy broken and bloody.

Win73 10-23-2011 05:34 AM

The bow season opened here (Alabama) October 15. It will run through January. The gun season opens mid November and will run through January. Oh, by the way, the spear season also opened October 15 and will run through January. That's right, we have a spear season in Alabama.

I hunted a week ago Saturday on opening day and this past Monday. Saw nine each day but none close enough for my crossbow. I hunted today and saw seven, four bucks, two does, and a fawn. A seven point buck got within about 60 yards. If he had got within 40 I would have tried for him.

The limit here is two a day, one of which can be a buck. So if I killed the limit every day of the season, I could legally kill about 210 deer. Of course there is a three buck season limit, so 207 of them would have to be does. But since eight days of the season are gone and I have not killed any yet, my limit for this season is now 194.

trip286 10-23-2011 05:44 AM

I can't help but wonder how many in Alabama take a deer with a spear. Anybody have any pics or stories of this?

spittinfire 10-23-2011 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip286 (Post 608145)
I can't help but wonder how many in Alabama take a deer with a spear. Anybody have any pics or stories of this?

You can actually spear hunt for deer?

Win73 10-23-2011 03:08 PM

I don't know anyone who has killed a deer with a spear or even hunted with one.

Here is a quote from the Alabama Game Commission hunting regulations:

SPEAR: DEER and FERAL SWINE may be taken by hand thrown spear during the open Bow and Arrow season on these species. The hand thrown spear shall have a sharpened blade a minimum of two inches in width. The spear shall only be hand thrown.

trip286 10-23-2011 05:03 PM

I'm going to Google "spear hunting in alabama" and see if I come up with anything. I'll post links if I do. Now I want to try it myself.


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.