2010 Hunting Season - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 2010 Hunting Season

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Spitty it was 85 degrees and I shouldn't have been hunting anyway. This big a$$ doe came in with a yearling and as I pointed it out to Haley Jo, that little killer said "shoot her grandpa" Man I didn't want to take this doe so early in the season, it was opening day. I stood up, put my hand on the bow, and the dang doe walked right under the stand. She was so close I could smell the back-straps. I waited and waited and finally she blew and was gone. Haley asked me why I hadn't taken the shot and I replied that I didn't have a good ethical shot so I didn't take it. Man I could of killed that deer six times all the while the Thermacell was sitting between Haley and me on the seat.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Joe, great story! I'll dig mine out and take it with me next time.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-15-2010, 01:31 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
Better watch out or I will spell every thing FONETICALEE(SP)
F.K.
I always hated them fonetiks ... I'm glad you guys are thick skinned, that I can kid around with you and not be taken the wrong way

Last edited by Josey Wales '94; 09-15-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:32 AM   #24

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josey Wales '94 View Post
I always hated them fonetiks ... I'm glad you guys are thick skinned, that I can kid around with you and not be taken the wrong way
+1 on that
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 09-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 468 Times on 341 Posts
Likes Given: 154

Got done putting up a new stand for the wife yesterday, bow season starts in a couple of weeks. I tore my right bicep, so no longbow shooting for me this year. Luckily crossbows are legal in Ohio, so my archery season is not ruined, although a traditional bow is more fun, meat is meat. My wife is very excited and even my 16 yr. old, video game junkie son wants to go out in the woods more this year. Grab the Thermalcell until the first frost,skeeters bad this year. Good luck to all, be safe.

Jeff

Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

0530 here, after a cup of coffee and a small breakfast it's back to the tree stand. It's a beautiful 64 right now with clear skies and a slight breeze which if it doesn't change will be in my favor.

Old 09-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In the woods again this morning and watched a nice 6 point mark his territory. He turned left when he needed to turn right for me to get a shot but I'm glad he did. The view from behind allowed me to see that is antlers were just outside his ears and given another year to grow he'll be big.
I've been watching 10-12 deer a day and a couple of the big does are starting to look good to help me break in the grill I'm going to pick up later this week. Tonight we'll see what happens.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:24 PM   #28

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Here in MI I already got my regular whitetail firearm license(Bucks Nov 15-30th),but I also picked up a couple of private land antlerless licenses that are good for any deer season on private land,(early firearm sept 16-20,archery oct 1-nov 14,regular firearm nov 15-30 and archery and muzzloader dec 1-31).I did not go hunting the early firearm because I would rather wait till it's colder and rut,and I doubt I will do archery either,but I have a friend coming from Colorado to hunt with me the regular firearm season and we plan on filling our freezers,I can purchase an aditional 5 antlerless licenses a day every day from now to dec 31st.I hunt in a great place too,just 5 miles north of the shotgun only zone,so I can use a rifle,and I am just 15 miles south of the line for private land antlerless licenses area,it's going to be a nice year.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-21-2010, 01:28 AM   #29

This year looks great so far, I'm not able to start though for another two and a half - three weeks. I have four or five regular bucks, but I'm on a hundred acres, so if one of the three eights or the tall seven walk up, they're getting a bolt from my crossbow. I have a video of them fighting but i'll see if i can upload it for ya'll. The dominant one is one of the eights.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Shot (muzzle loader) a young 10 point buck last Friday evening. Had a lot of ground shrink . The bucks health was awesome though, clean hide, no ticks, was well corn fed. Wanted to get one down for our opening pheasant wingding in November. He will make some great BBQ backstraps , chile, and mabe a little jerky. No matter how many deer I harvest, it is a great rush every time. I am very appreciative I have the opportunity to hunt.