Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Hunting Forum (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/)
-   -   2010 Hunting Season (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f50/2010-hunting-season-31620/)

spittinfire 09-11-2010 03:28 PM

2010 Hunting Season

Well folks, the season kicked off last week with dove and this morning with deer. I was in my stand by 0615 and around 0800 I had my first sighting. 5 deer total, all does so I let them walk. Squirrels everywhere, a nice hawk and even a turtle. It was a beautiful morning sitting around around 65 and I felt honored to take in the glory of God's creation.

I came in to grab a bite to eat and I plan to head back out later today. Anyone else got hunting plans coming up?

stalkingbear 09-11-2010 06:04 PM

More power to ya rusty. I know well the feeling of spending the day in the woods. It really gives you a chance to "gear down" and think.

M14sRock 09-11-2010 06:56 PM

Sounds like the perfect day. Don't forget our pics if you get a chance.

spittinfire 09-11-2010 08:10 PM

The rain changed my plans for the afternoon. It did give me a chance to check the feeder though which it needed. I'll be back out Monday morning.
There is a big scrape not far from my stand and I'm seeing more and more rubs so there is a buck of decent size there. If it is the same one I kicked up last year I'm guess it to be about 3 years old and should be at least 6 point this year. Once I see him I'll decide if I should wait til next year to take him or not.

stalkingbear 09-11-2010 11:09 PM

If a buck is 3 1/2 years old, and it's had enough good feed, it should be at least an 8 point if not a 10 or 12 point. The only way it would still be a forkhorn is if it's got bad genetics or has been short of food. Set up some trailcams and I'll be willing to bet you'll be pleasantly suprised.

Josey Wales '94 09-12-2010 02:56 AM

Your season already started? Is it rifle or bow? My bow season doesn't start for just under a month, and that is a month's jump on the rifle guys. I just went out and set up some foam in the crook of a tree to sit on, nailed up two two-by-fours, one in front to rest my barrel on, and one in back to lean on. It's damn cool where you live, ain't it? Today was around 100 and right now there's 78% humidity. Can't wait!

spittinfire 09-12-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josey Wales '94 (Post 349153)
Your season already started? Is it rifle or bow? My bow season doesn't start for just under a month, and that is a month's jump on the rifle guys. I just went out and set up some foam in the crook of a tree to sit on, nailed up two two-by-fours, one in front to rest my barrel on, and one in back to lean on. It's damn cool where you live, ain't it? Today was around 100 and right now there's 78% humidity. Can't wait!

Bow season started yesterday. They started it earlier this year because the deer population in my area borders on rediculous. Bow season runs thru Oct. 29. Then there are 2 weeks of muzzle loader(it's been 1 until this year) and then on Oct 16th rifle season starts and runs thru the first of the year.
They changed a few other laws this year too, again due to the population being high.

It's cooled off here in recent weeks. Gets down to 55-65 at night and 85-90 during the day. Yesterday was perfect hunting weather, 60 at 0600 and high of around 75 with a very soft breeze.

stalkingbear, I scincerely hope you are right about the buck that is leaving his marks everywhere. the scrape is about 16-18" in diameter and I've seen rubs on trees bigger around then my thumb. Food shouldn't be an issue as the area is surrounded by corn and soy bean fields and there are a number oaks in the area that have produced well the past few years. If I can arrange the meeting, there will be many pics.

hunter Joe 09-12-2010 02:03 PM

I left camp early this morning and it was 53 degrees at 5:00 AM. No sign of rubs or scrapes yet as I feel the deer are pretty much spending day and night in the standing corn. It's looks like it will be an early harvest here in Wisconsin this year as the beans are brown and the corn is really dry and withered.

I'll be hanging out like a primate at O dark thirty next Saturday and humming the tune Fred Bear.

spittinfire 09-13-2010 03:31 PM

Since I'm working Tuesday thru Friday now I was back in the stand again this morning. A BEAUTIFUL morning around 55 at 0600 when I settled in and I spend the next 3.5 hours surrounded by deer. I saw 7 does and 3 bucks. Most of the deer were young but 2 of the does were worth taking but it's just to early in the season. 2 of the bucks were small, under two years so I let them walk. The one deer that didn't get close enough is the one I am now hunting. I didn't get a count but he had a nice rack and a full body. My season has started with a bang, I can only hope it continues.

It was a real joy watching the younger deer play and move together. I'm heading back out this afternoon to see if they'll be moving again tonight.

Fisherking 09-13-2010 04:37 PM

Our bear season opened up Sept 7 and I will be going north 71/2 hours on Sept 22 to go moose hunting with the bow. We have a cow tag between five of us.
Deer for bow opens on Oct15 and I will be going to another place to hunt moose with riffle some time in mid Oct.
Good luck every one and play safe this hunting seasion.
Regards Fisherking