2009 Deer Season Thread - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum >

2009 Deer Season Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Oh I forgot to tell about my buck shot I had to take. It was a long one-maybe 25 yards Did not have to use the range finder on that one!
Old 01-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #32
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well today was my first attempt at hunting my 8 month old lab Darla over birds. I purchased a training licence so now I can hunt birds all year long. It was pretty cold, 8 degrees with 15 mph winds, but that doesn't bother Darla a bit, she kind of crazy and really likes to go for rides in the truck.

I picked up 3 hen pheasants from a pheasant farm for $11.00 each. I went with hens because my experience has been in the past that hens will hold better than roosters and not run away, at least that was what I thought. The guy at the farm showed me how to rock them to sleeps and I was on my way for a great morning of wing shooting.

I did everything the guy showed me and when I set the first hen it got up into the wind and was gone. That bird must of flew a good half mile before I lost sight of it.

The second hen held while I went back to the truck and to get Darla and as we approached, Darla got the scent but the bird was about 30 yard in front of her running like it's ass was on fire. It too got up into the wind and was gone.

I tied the legs together on the third hen and rocked her to sleep just like the guy showed me and when I set the bird, up into the wind and gone again. I watched where the bird landed, got Darla out of the truck and by the time we got to the bird a Red tailed hawk was eating it for breakfast.

All in all it was a good morning and it looks like it's polish sausage under glass and macaroni and cheese for dinner tonight.
God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 01-27-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #33

Here's my 2009 Oregon archery Columbia Blacktail. My wife shot a nice Pronghorn antelope too. Excited about this year my youngest son get's to hunt Deer and Elk. I bought him a Rock River 6.8 SPC carbine to hunt with. It's perfect for him with a colapsable stock since he's only about 80 lbs.
2009-blacktail2-forum.jpg   antelope-forum.jpg