2009 Deer Season Thread - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 2009 Deer Season Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 10:58 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
That's great, spitty. I have not been out yet this season. Still too many leaves on the trees for my liking. How many are you allowed per season?
We're allowed a total of 6 per season.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'm using a carbon arrow with a release, 100gr broadhead and I used a Grim Reaper. It did it's job well.
Good deal. I switched from aluminum/fingers/125gr snuffers last year to carbon/release/100 gr. heads but haven't shot a deer with this setup yet. Much faster than the old tackle, but these 100gr. heads are tiny compared to the old Rothaar Snuffers.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Last edited by RL357Mag; 10-06-2009 at 01:40 PM.

Old 10-06-2009, 10:44 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have many hours in bow hunting already this year, although, I've passed on the same doe with a yearling twice now. I had my nine year old granddaughter with me during the first encounter and she kept saying "shoot her". I told her that I didn't really have a good shot but I had the doe so close I could smell the back straps.

Hunting a new 100 acre lease this year and been moving around a lot. Came home today after hunting since last Thursday and going back up for a 7 days next Monday. Picked up another ladder stand from Gander today, I want to be ready for the rut and there's too many damned trees in Wisconsin. I'm hunting Oct. 29th. through Nov. 12, then taking a week off and then the 9 day firearm season. After that, muzzle loader season and then late archery season and I really care if I shoot a deer or not. It's all about my love affair with Mother Nature. Shoot straight and Stay safe. HJ

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My update

It's Saturday morning and I just returned home from ten glorious days alone in the woods bow hunting. I decided to come home a couple days early because temperature is on the rise and too warm for my liking. I must admit it's kind of nice to be home but I'm already counting the days when I can return to camp. (November 16th.)

I spent many hours hunting, fell some trees and split lots of firewood, seen some nice deer and other wildlife, although, nothing that I really wanted to kill except for a very large coyote.

The morning of the Nov. 5th. started out cold and clear. The temperature was 27 degrees and as I walked to my tree stand the full moon cast my shadow on the ground ahead of me. It started out as one of those truly magical mornings.

I climbed in the stand well before daylight and sat in the glow of the full moon waiting for the sun to rise. The floor of the forest is now covered with oak leaves that give the ground a rusty hue and as the sun started to crest the tree tops the woods took on an eerie mist from the combination of the warming sun and the frost that blanketed the forest. This alone, was worth the price of admission.

I caught movement from some scrub oaks on my right and a very large coyote with a skunk in it's mouth appeared. This yote's hair was standing straight out which gave the dog the appearance of one very large Alaskan husky. You could tell from his gate that he was very proud of his recent catch even if it was a skunk. I readied myself to let loose an arrow but the dog got my wind and tuned away from me. As the yote disappeared through the trees I thought that this is a very lucky day for both of us and it truly was.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 11-07-2009 at 03:33 PM.

Old 11-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Joe, that sounds like an awesome day. I always find myself admiring God's creations during my time in a stand. I especially love watching the sun rise and on a cold morning those warm rays are welcome!
I'm hoping to head back out in the next week or so. Rifle season starts next weekend so I've got a new itch to scratch...

Old 11-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Back from the woods this morning and it's really good to be back home, although, the whitetail firearm season starts this coming Saturday and I'll be in a tree at first light.

Arrowed a nice doe last Monday afternoon and just getting ready to butcher her. I got nearly 150 hours in the trees this season and thought it was time I brought some venison home for mama. I'm more into the hunting and not so much into the killing, although, the venison will not go to waste and family and friends will enjoy the meat.

I will continue my quest though the firearm season, muzzle loader season, and late archery season and now that the pressure is off, I can just sit in the trees relaxing, continuing my affair with Mother Nature. Shoot Straight and Stay Safe. Joe

Old 11-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Joe, I wish I could spend half as much time in the woods as you have this year. I think I've spent a total of 3 days this year. Rifle season started last week, muzzle the week before and archery back in September. I may head out tomorrow and will probably squeeze a day or two in next week. I've decided that it's time my Win 1300 take a deer so I'm planning to do some shotgun hunting too.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:56 AM   #18

my hubby has gone a ton, we had to fire up the extra freezer since our big one is full. He has taken the kids, but the little one still talks too much. I haven't gotten to go which I am not thrilled about but oh well.

Old 11-22-2009, 01:03 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Left early Saturday morning for the Wisconsin's whitetail firearm opener and back this Sunday morning (crash and burn). Not too eventful, although, I got a good nap in yesterday.

The only deer I saw was a nice doe right before dark. I still have a couple of doe tags but I was really hoping for some antlers so I just watched her browse for about 20 minuets until it got dark. I tried really hard to draw antlers on her through the scope, but alas, just couldn't do it.

Leaving again on the 30th. and maybe I'll use one of those tags with the muzzle loader. If I don't, I guess I'm going to have to hunt the late archery season. At any rate, I love the woods when it's covered in snow.

Old 12-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well the weather outside is frightful. It's 10:00 AM and the temperature is zero and the winds is blowing around 900 mph. Thank God for global warming. Burrrrrrrrr.

Hopefully I'll get out deer hunting a couple more times this season, but if I don't, that's alright too. Going to do some bird hunting and I'm looking forward to the spring turkey season. Last week while black powder hunting I watched 16 hens and jakes along with 2 toms feed through the forest. I already have the big boy all picked out for next spring.

I start teaching hunter safety again in January and hopefully I'll be ice fishing before Christmas, that is if this global warming keeps up. You got to love Al Gore. Shoot Straight, Stay Safe, and Happy Holidays, Joe