Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Hunting Forum > 00 or 000 For Hog Medicine?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Another vote for slugs.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Guy, if you want to take all the fun and adventure out of the hunt, maybe he should just buy those pork chops at Walmart. That way he could get real close without the danger. I know guys that hunt black bears with 00 buck. Now that's an adventure.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #13

I will have another hunter armed with a 30-06 sittin' near me as last resort backup.

Back up II is shots 2-8 12 gauge 00/000 Buck or shots 1-6 .357 158 grain JSP/ or 200 grain Hardcast lead.

I have less than 1 year to weigh slugs or 00/000 Buck, next hunt is May 2011 in FLA.

When it comes 'ta Hogs Kill 'Em All & Let GOD sort them out, no meat goes to waste here.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-09-2010, 05:07 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You want adventure, I have a brother in law killed a black bear with a knife. I don't need that much adventure. I have to deal with him every now and then, that's adventure enough for me. I go hunting a big mean critter, I want something going to blow a big mean hole in it.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I vote slugs. Less holes and lead in the meat.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

What's the fascination with buckshot? Why not use a 4" .357? We all think they're adequate for large angry humans, try them on large angry animals. Sounds like you have plenty of backup if things get more adventurous than you want.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #17

Fellers I will be Hunt'n for about 3-4 days so I want to try a variety of options.

I want Y'all to know I am hearin' all of your opinions and considering them and appreciate them immensely.

Day One: Will be very up close from a blind so shots will be 12 gauge shotgun or .357 Magnum.

Day Two: Will call for farther away shots so I will use .243 Win rifle.

Day 3: I will be brush bust'n so I will carry a 12 Gauge, backed up by a Glock 29 10MM or .357 Magnum snubby.

Day 4: (If necessary) We will be Hunt'n with dogs and they will push Hogs to us so I will use my .243 Win.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-09-2010, 09:28 PM   #18

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Ya, I see what you are saying, but That .243 is not close to what I would choose, buckshot either, a .357 w/ the right ammo and barrel legnth.
A 12ga w/ slugs, even a .30-30 lever would be better than a .243. You need mass weight to anchor them on the 1st shot. I would not want a guide to finish off my animal. I am having a similar conversation on another forum about the .358 Winchester in a Savage 99 at 300 yards as it seems to be an elk killer.
6.5x55 is the smallest I would use on decent sized pigs. Even then a partition or Barnes TXP would be the bullet if I'm on the ground. Do you own kevlar pants?
They are hot, but will save your ass.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Slugs will do the job but just in case you don't do the job with the slugs and you are faced with a charging mad hog I think I would opt for the 00 buck as a last effort at 25 yards

montveil in the NC mountains
Salute
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by montveil View Post
Slugs will do the job but just in case you don't do the job with the slugs and you are faced with a charging mad hog I think I would opt for the 00 buck as a last effort at 25 yards
+1, sorry I don't have any comments, but montveil summed it up very well.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.