XDm9 and IDPA Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > XDm9 and IDPA Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default XDm9 and IDPA Questions

I'll be using my stock XDm9 4.5" which I believe puts me in ESP since Springfield listed it as single action, correct?

I've been using WWB 9mm 124gr NATO and have several hundred more rounds so I was planning to use that. Based on the 125 power requirement though I'm thinking it might be better to use 115gr to reduce recoil.

Any suggestions on ammo?

I'd also like to use the XDm composite holster and mag holder to start with. Are those allowed in IDPA?

This will be my first match and I've been reading allot online but any pointers you guys have for a noob would be great!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #2

You are correct that you will be in ESP. IDPA uses the BATF classification of the firearms action and the XDM/XDm are classified as single-action. Now as far as the holster and mag pouches are concerned, I believe they are legal but any club worth their salt is going to let knew shooters shoot with whatever they bring as long as it is safe. Once you are there talk to some of the other shooters to see what the think but I believe you'll be good to go.

The thing with ammo for IDPA is that it has to meet a certain level or power factor... In ESP & SSP it is 125,000. Power factor is figured by multiplying the bullet's weight by its velocity and arriving and you power factor, so a 125 grain bullet needs to travel 1000 feet per second to be legal. If you use a lighter bullet it will actually be shot at higher velocities which means more powder was used.... A heavier projectile will use slightly less powder...so it's going to be up to you and what you gun likes but I know several shooters that used 115 grain bullets and they were tumbling before they hit and would keyhole on the target. I personally like the 124 grain rounds since there is enough mass in the bullets to help push over steel but gain it'll take a bit of trial and error to see what round your gun likes.

Sent from my iPad using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-20-2012, 11:37 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hey Dusty thanks for quick feedback man!

I've been shooting the 124gr well and the gun seems to like it so I'll go ahead and give it a try at the match.

I am so stoked for this!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 01-20-2012, 12:04 PM   #4

No worries! I remember shooting in my first match.mi probably drove home grinning like an idiot I had such a good time. Be sure to let us know how it goes!

Old 01-20-2012, 09:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

For future ammo purchases, remember that the NATO rounds are hotter than the average WWB.

I haven't shot IDPA with my XDM, but I've shot a bunch of steel (primarily falling plates) with it. I know the falling plates are easier to drop than some of the Pepper poppers and "knock-off" plates, but I never had any trouble, even with the 115 gr. loads.

Yours should be fine. Be sure to give us an AAR.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 01-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

IDPA is a great sport with more emphasis on accuracy. As far as ammo selection, shoot 115, 124 and 147 grain bullets to see which fits you best. Different brands of the same weight also shoot different.

My choice for IDPA is Atlanta Arms 147 gr or Fiochi 158 gr (hard to find). Good luck and hope you enjoy yourself.

27 Words keep us "free"

Old 01-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Hey guys thanks for all the feedback! Just got back from the match today. It was 4 courses but I was only able to shoot two of them because it was the club's annual picnic and family day and they took a long break in the middle for lunch and a raffle. I had to leave because son just joined a band and tonight is his first gig!

Anyway I ended up using Federal 115gr because it's what they had at Wal-mart and I had less of WWB 124 than I thought at the last minute. I had great time and will absolutely be attending more matches in the very near future. For my first time I think I did pretty well in comparison to watching the other shooters.

The first course was 12 bowling pins on various height stands, switching cover between the right and left side. The farthest pin was a little over 15 yards. Had to start with 6 rounds only in the first mag. My time was 38 seconds but I got a procedural for hitting one of the pins out of order. I also had to reload for the last pin so two reloads were included that time.

Second course was 6 plates and 3 small pepper poppers. It was 3 strings of hitting the 6 plates and then one of the pepper poppers and the plates were reset between strings. I left 3 targets and don't know my time on that one.

I'll shoot the classifier soon and can't wait to actually finish a match. It was a fun day to get out there though and get my feet wet!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 01-28-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Old 01-29-2012, 04:26 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho
Hey guys thanks for all the feedback! Just got back from the match today. It was 4 courses but I was only able to shoot two of them because it was the club's annual picnic and family day and they took a long break in the middle for lunch and a raffle. I had to leave because son just joined a band and tonight is his first gig!

Anyway I ended up using Federal 115gr because it's what they had at Wal-mart and I had less of WWB 124 than I thought at the last minute. I had great time and will absolutely be attending more matches in the very near future. For my first time I think I did pretty well in comparison to watching the other shooters.

The first course was 12 bowling pins on various height stands, switching cover between the right and left side. The farthest pin was a little over 15 yards. Had to start with 6 rounds only in the first mag. My time was 38 seconds but I got a procedural for hitting one of the pins out of order. I also had to reload for the last pin so two reloads were included that time.

Second course was 6 plates and 3 small pepper poppers. It was 3 strings of hitting the 6 plates and then one of the pepper poppers and the plates were reset between strings. I left 3 targets and don't know my time on that one.

I'll shoot the classifier soon and can't wait to actually finish a match. It was a fun day to get out there though and get my feet wet!
Excellent! So glad to hear you had fun. Sounds like you've started yourself off on the right foot; just be warned that after a match or two standard trips to the range become very boring!LOL But the good news is that you can work on those skills during the off times to get better on match day. Nothing shines a light on areas that need work than the harsh light of competition, but if you don't whither from that you will most definitely become a much better and seasoned shooter. Kudos to you for separating yourself from the masses and getting out and trying something new, exciting and very worth while!

Old 03-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 128

If you love it, I can see a 1911 in your future...

Quick Tip: Next time your at Walley World, pick up some super cheap 8" white dinner plates (paper - 50 to 100 pks) as these make great tgts. Set up at different ranges, you can simulate matches. The white surface will give you some feedback as to how your shot string is going.

YouTube: Why ? You can get a class w Rob Letham or just watch him win competitions. Just don't expect your local club to have elaborate stages like the championships. I imagine it takes a lot of time & money to put those things together.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 03-23-2012 at 05:10 PM.