What would be a good Trap Shooting gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > What would be a good Trap Shooting gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What would be a good Trap Shooting gun?

Well I am planing on joining my schools trap team. I have alot of experience shooting pistols and rifles but not really to much shotguns. I wanted to know what would be a good deal for a gun. at practice I shot our coaches person Mossberg 590. I was looking at the 870 classic, a Tristar semi, or the Stoeger P-350, and I have a budget of about 300ish.

Any tips would be great. Also I wanted to know what would be the quickest to reload, and what to store shells in while at the range. All advice is welcomed.

Thanks,
Lucas

Last edited by canebrake; 09-03-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8870 Times on 3842 Posts
Likes Given: 1384

Well, you CAN use just about any shotgun, and I am not an expert at skeet or trap- but some thoughts for you-

Most shooters seem to like the over/ under shotguns for the swing. If your budget can stretch a little, you might find a Stoeger Condor close to your price range. Look hard at USED shotguns (old guns neeed love too)

As far as speed of reload, you have two shots (you guys throwing triples or something?) Nothing reloads any faster than a break action shotgun with EJECTORS. Break the action, empties go BOOP, stick two shells into the two chambers, close action, continue to march.

What holds shells at the range? Why, my gunbearer, of course. But he uses a shell bag. Shoulder strap, hangs at waist.

Oh- and stay with me- important concept coming up here- why not ask your coach what his thoughts are?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 09-02-2010 at 11:14 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

The true Trap Weenies, uh... I mean dedicated Trap Professionals, use dedicated Trap guns. In the US they are typically single barrel, high rib types.

But to learn the game, any good quality field grade gun will work. You can get an 870, and then look around for a Trap stock and a Trap bbl at your leisure.

I'd bet if you looked hard, you could find a good used Trap gun at one of the clubs. Beretta, Browning, SKB, etc. But not in the $300 range unless it is a lucky day, or someone takes pity on a new shooter. A well used 870 Trap may be had for around that, though.

If you find that you like Trap, and are intrigued by Skeet, stick with a field grade gun as it is the "Jack of all trades".

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-03-2010, 12:21 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=18553&stc=1&d=12834731 65
zoom_topper_deluxeclassic.jpg

I order one of these H&R Toppers for a fellow today and he was going to use it as a trap gun. As a single shot not much good for doubles but the price was right around $300.00 Seems like a good buy

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 02-22-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You first have to have a gun that fits you and you are comfortable with. I really like the old Model 12 Win. as it point so naturally. I also like the Browning BT-99. If you can use reloads, when I was shooting alot I loaded 7/8 oz loads for the 16 yrd. targets and 1 oz. for handy cap. I never found these loads to handy cap me aginst the guys shooting 1 1/8 ;oad and saved alot on shot.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-03-2010, 06:02 PM   #6

I think I found a good O/U gun, Has anyone used the Stoeger condor outback

Old 09-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #7

Take a look here: O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining
Very good handling, nice looking guns at reasonable cost.

Old 09-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #8

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Default stoger

hope im not to late the condor will not stand up to the heavy use of team shooting [been there] for 16yd singles an 870 w/28-30 in bbl mod or full choke is all thats needed

Old 09-22-2010, 01:39 PM   #9

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I have an 870 that I like to use a lot. I also have an 1187 Sporting Clays gun that is fun and damn good too but I have to use a rubber band around the receiver to keep from bouncing the spent shells of the guy to my right.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-22-2010, 01:43 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Try a Remmy 1100 auto loader. 1100 You can get a good used one for under $300.00. Remember to practice!!!!

[YOUTUBE]fvXtWAK9l8Y[/YOUTUBE]

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent