Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   What is a turkey shoot? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/what-turkey-shoot-100274/)

stormyday 11-12-2013 09:55 PM

What is a turkey shoot?

I've been asked to participate in a turkey shoot at the moose lodge this Sunday, anyone familiar with these? I can't remember attending a moose lodge Ora turkey shoot before, kinda wondering what to expect. Was told to bring the shotgun with the longest barrel I have and a full choke.

John_Deer 11-12-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormyday (Post 1430088)
I've been asked to participate in a turkey shoot at the moose lodge this Sunday, anyone familiar with these? I can't remember attending a moose lodge Ora turkey shoot before, kinda wondering what to expect. Was told to bring the shotgun with the longest barrel I have and a full choke.

You shoot a shotgun at a target with an X in the center. Whoever can get a pellet closest to the center of the X wins. You want a full choke so you can get as many pellets near the center of the X as possible. A long barrel usually has an edge. If the wad hits the target and busts out the X your shot is null and void, no do overs. A long barrel usually makes the wad tumble harmlessly away from the target.

I have a Marlin Goose gun, 12 ga bolt action with a 32" full choke barrel for turkey shoots. The Marlin has won a lot of stuff at charity turkey shoots.

If you don't have a suitable gun they usually have loaners at turkey shoots. Look for a break action single shot with a 30" full choke barrel. The loaners usually pattern as good as any gun there.

Gatoragn 11-12-2013 10:39 PM

Or the target can be a circle, most pellets in the circle is the winner.

c3shooter 11-12-2013 10:44 PM

Agree on the good guns for a turkey shoot, however.....

I use a Fox Sterlingworth. Side by side.

Last shoot I shot 5 times. Won 3. :D

stormyday 11-12-2013 11:35 PM

Huh, I figured we would shoot clays outa the air or something, it does t make a lot of sense but what the he'll, I'll give I a wirl. I have a model 12 with full choke, an ithica 37 with full choke, a 1300 Winchester 20 ga with interchangeable chokes and an 870 wingmaster 20ga with modified choke, maybe I'll bring the 37 and the 1300 an try each

hmh 11-12-2013 11:47 PM

I have aslo seen them with a picture of a turkey and the person that makes a complete cut through the neck wins.

JonM 11-13-2013 12:00 AM

an actual turkey shoot in ye olde days was literally shooting turkeys or ducks or chickens or all of them. they would put the bird in a cage with its head poking out and put it behind a log so all the shooter could see was the head. they were most often held by churches to raise money for charitable works or to fund a church project.

shooters would back off to whatever distance and use a rifle to shoot the bird's head. typically they were held in the fall around thanksgiving each shooter taking turns.

they would also do beef shoots which were highlighted in the movie about sgt york which are similar to modern turkey shoots as described above

F4U 11-13-2013 12:48 AM

The last few I have been too you shoot at a paper target of a turkey in the center of a bullseye target with the X over the heart of the turkey, the bb closest to the x wins. The last one I was at my old 870 won or came in second in every shoot.

Lately around here they have calling them meat shoots and giving prizes of different kinds of meat for each round instead of turkeys.

Sniper03 11-13-2013 12:50 AM

Stormy,

Go for it you will have a good time regardless. Usually they have good food there also. Like Coffee, homemade chili, or vegetable, hotdogs, burgers and the like. If there is a little chill in the air the soup is always better! Never won a whole lot of them but had a great time. The other thing we use to do was have fundraiser fox drives even on New Years Day in Indiana. God I miss the old days!

nitestalker 11-13-2013 01:47 AM

I have never seen a card shoot in the West. We have a Turkey Shoot here on Nov. 17th. It is always done on a Trap range. The most clays in a relay wins a "bird". :)
Some clubs shoot rifle and handguns best 3 shots off hand on paper.:)