What gun to shoot? USPSA
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > What gun to shoot? USPSA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 02:41 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 325 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Default What gun to shoot? USPSA

Thought I was all setup to shoot USPSA and I went to my first match last weekend. I shot my FNX9 and after watching how the match sets up and the other shooters, I realized that the FNX might not be the right gun. I shoot the gun well at 7-10 yards but at further ranges the accuracy suffers.

I want to shoot in the production division but limited would be an option with the higher capacity mags of a 9mm double stack. I might try SS if I want to get my Colt 1911 setup. I'd prefer to stick with one gun and get proficient.

The guns that I have been considering are:

SA XDM 5.25", S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm, Glock 17 or 34. All have different things going for them. I can't yet locate a S&W at my usual shops. I can get the XDM under $800, Glock 17 for $575 or a 34 for $684. Never fired a Glock and not real wild about the no lead thing. I also have a place for an EAA Witness with all steel frame. Mags might be a problem locally.

If you all were starting from scratch what option would you go with. I'm open to suggestions but I'm not ordering anything online. I'll have to be able to track down whatever I go with locally.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2013, 03:09 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 204 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Shoot what you have for a few more matches.

Of your listed choices for a production gun I would go with the S&W M&P Pro. Just set one
up for my wife. I shot it in a couple of matches---like it better than my G17.

Single stack is fun. I shot it for the last three years before switching to Production (again)
this year. Are there other Single Stack shooters in your area? Participation seems to
vary a bit.

Right now I'm getting a CZ SP-01 Tactical tuned up to run in Production---so far it looks
like it will be a fun gun. If I didn't have it already I would buy another M&P Pro.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #3
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

I shoot production with a Gen4 Glock 17. I use to shoot with a Gen4 34 though. There are a lot of shooters here in the Oklahoma area shooting G17 and G34's with Argyle Armoring Comp 1 Setups.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

My only problem with Glock, besides never having shot one, is that you can't run lead through the factory barrells. I have heard reports that coated bullets don't lead up. Really don't want to buy a new pistol and immediately have to order an aftermarket barrel just to beable to shoot my lead reloads.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 350 Times on 214 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Quote:
Originally Posted by aandabooks View Post
My only problem with Glock, besides never having shot one, is that you can't run lead through the factory barrells. I have heard reports that coated bullets don't lead up. Really don't want to buy a new pistol and immediately have to order an aftermarket barrel just to beable to shoot my lead reloads.
You can shoot lead through a Glock factory barrel. Just clean it with Hoppes lead solvent afterward. You should always clean your gun after a match so there's nothing different. I know a dozen or so competition shooters who shoot lead through Glock barrels without a problem.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've always read no lead in factory Glock barrels. I have no problems cleaning my guns but I sometimes shoot several hundred rounds in a range session. I don't want the barrel leading up.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:26 AM   #7

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I would stay with the no lead recommendations. I am careful about using those internet "Hat Tricks".

kaboom.jpg  

Old 11-03-2013, 02:48 AM   #8

Liked 624 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

I'm a huge M&P fan (obviously) so I strongly suggest the Pro series. Accurate, reliable, and you can make it fit you like a glove.

Another one to look at is the XDm comp. Match grade gun with a compensated slide, good trigger, and 19rd capacity. You won't have to have the +2 base plate like the Glock and M&P guys.

If you go single stack I suggest the Spring Field Range Officer. IMO it's the best buy on a match 1911.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy for SS. Took it out for the first time today and it shot like a dream.

I'm really leaning toward the 5.25" XDM9 due to availability. Can't seem to find a S&W Pro yet but at close to $200 cheaper it might be worth continuing to search. I did find an unfired trade in 4.25" M&P at a local shop for under $500. I want to hold out for the 5" model if I go S&W.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:25 AM   #10

Liked 624 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 1618

We have M&P Pro's all over around here. Where are you?