Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Competition Shooting (
-   -   what grain bullet for competion (

vito77 11-26-2011 06:17 PM

what grain bullet for competion
what grain do these competion shooters use .45acp i see them on tv and there is hardly no recoil.

Wilder 11-26-2011 07:45 PM

Most top level competitive shooters will use hand loads. They work up their loads to balance accuracy, and recoil while maintaining minimum power factors. There are so many choices for bullets in .45 ACP available to a hand loader that what a particular shooter uses will be the result of lots of experimentation, and will be fine tuned to that shooter and the gun they use. A large part of it is also the shooter's ability to control the recoil through proper grip, stance etc. and practice, practice, practice.

robocop10mm 11-27-2011 03:42 AM

The .45 ACP has almost no recoil when the shooter grips the gun properly. 200 - 230 gr bullets are probably most commonly used in IPSC.

mtbfarms 12-09-2011 03:45 PM

It is just what "recoil" works best for you. Lighter bullets moving faster the gun will "snap" back. Heavier slower bulleter will "push" the gun.

The same goes for powder. Faster powders will snap but be quieter. Slower powders push but sound like a cannon.

Trovan 12-23-2011 03:01 AM

I think you will find guys using 185 grain bullets with a Low velocity powder like "Trail Boss". I havent tried it but i would like to just see what it feels like.