What can be learned from this...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > What can be learned from this...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What can be learned from this...

Shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, ricochet and someone is hurt. Where is the problem and what could have been done to avoid it?

It must be understood by the operator that common sense and caution are factors which cannot be built into this product, but must be supplied by the operator.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #2

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

The offical should not have been looking at the target. He is there to time and watch the shooter. Why was he exposed to the targets.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 AM   #3

Why didn't he have eye protection on? The officials should be setting the example. Safety first.

We can't stop here...this is bat country.

Μολὼν λάβε
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Old 07-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #4

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

How many of us have walked off the line to have copper or lead pulled out of us? How many more than once? I'm only up to 2 times, but there will be more. You HAVE to wear eye protection. Thus endeth the lesson.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 AM   #5

As you all said, safety first by using the correct equipment. When shooting steel that close you should think about frangible ammo and FMJ. Just an idea. A lot of ranges are going to all green earth friendly frangible ammo.

Old 07-14-2009, 03:18 AM   #6

I doesn't seem to matter how carefull you are. I'm going to lean off the subject Just a tad. Some people watch to much television and in turn look at a firearm like a toy. Thus the lack of saftey when these people go to gun ranges and so on and so forth. A Firearm is not to be taken lightly and I will talk from experience. I had one small mishap and I swore to myself that it would never happen again. Another example is that mother that blew her son away at the gun range. I strongley believe that before any license is issued they put a gun in your hand and make you shoot it, Not a .22 I'm talking a .50 cal or a 12 guage shot gun so you know how feels, when I went for my license I'm going to be honest, I had never shot a gun in my life, I read a pages in a book, put in a application and hey I get to buy a gun. But i look at it now as a flaw. People should get close up and actually shoot and reload and shoot. Any way I just wanted to throw in my two cents. Just in case your wondering, no one got hurt with my mis-hap.

Only One Bullet Left. Save It For Yourself.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAirweight View Post
I doesn't seem to matter how carefull you are. I'm going to lean off the subject Just a tad. Some people watch to much television and in turn look at a firearm like a toy. Thus the lack of saftey when these people go to gun ranges and so on and so forth. A Firearm is not to be taken lightly and I will talk from experience. I had one small mishap and I swore to myself that it would never happen again. Another example is that mother that blew her son away at the gun range. I strongley believe that before any license is issued they put a gun in your hand and make you shoot it, Not a .22 I'm talking a .50 cal or a 12 guage shot gun so you know how feels, when I went for my license I'm going to be honest, I had never shot a gun in my life, I read a pages in a book, put in a application and hey I get to buy a gun. But i look at it now as a flaw. People should get close up and actually shoot and reload and shoot. Any way I just wanted to throw in my two cents. Just in case your wondering, no one got hurt with my mis-hap.
SWAirweight,
Glad to hear no one got hurt in your mis-hap.
Are you from Florida?
The mom killing her son at the gun range mention has me wondering.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:35 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What license? I don't have a license; i have a rifle or two and a couple of pistols; i have access to a giant clay pit with 20 foot walls to catch the misses.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:50 PM   #9

Okay To Answer your question I'm from Mass. Secondly any where in New England you want a gun get a license. I heard that the mother blew away her son in the news.
Last and foremost why oh why some states don't require license for firearms is beyond me. Then people wonder , "How That Guy Get A Gun". Mass you are required to take a home saftey course to learn saftey of fire arms, but it's very basic stuff. Then you have to fill out an application send to your local PD, they get ur fingerprints, pay 100 bucks and wait three weeks while they investigate everything about u. It's not the paperwork that I disagree with, it's the training, look at a few pictures, hold a few guns, that's it.

Only One Bullet Left. Save It For Yourself.

Last edited by SWAirweight; 07-14-2009 at 12:50 PM. Reason: None

Old 07-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAirweight View Post
Okay To Answer your question I'm from Mass. Secondly any where in New England you want a gun get a license. I heard that the mother blew away her son in the news.
Last and foremost why oh why some states don't require license for firearms is beyond me. Then people wonder , "How That Guy Get A Gun". Mass you are required to take a home saftey course to learn saftey of fire arms, but it's very basic stuff. Then you have to fill out an application send to your local PD, they get ur fingerprints, pay 100 bucks and wait three weeks while they investigate everything about u. It's not the paperwork that I disagree with, it's the training, look at a few pictures, hold a few guns, that's it.
Friggin weak! What about kids? I received my first .22 rifle when i was six years old for Xmas. When i recently purchased a pistol, they did run some kind of background check over the phone, but i believe that is federal. If you want to carry concealed, there is more to it, even here.

If i had to give up fingerprints & pay an extra $100 to get even a shotgun for hunting, i'd just buy one illegally. A license requirement seems a bit ridiculous to me, of course, i was taught from a young age to respect and handle very carefully (or not at all) any firearm.

They do have "hunting safety" courses to teach people basic longgun safety here. If you want a hunting license and you were born after 1973, you have to take the course; i was born in 1971 and was not required to take the course.

Last edited by orangello; 07-14-2009 at 03:27 PM.