What about off hand?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > What about off hand??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Lot's of good advice and pointers guys. Maybe I just have to buckle down a bit and shoot with the same form being used more than once. I'm going to make a concerted effort to shoot the gun less but practice my stance ectera more.
Maybe what I consider questionable accuracy can be fixed by working on NPA and shooting 10 rounds instead of 50 ect...Maybe I should revert back to shooting the .22's for awhile at closer ranges and focus on some great suggestions.
TY guys and I will take some good advice to heart. Don't make much difference in your gun can shoot 1MOA off the sled but you can't shoot 12 inches offhand in the real world.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #12

+1 to the shooting .22s. Being young and broke, all I really shoot is .22, but it sure has helped my marksmanship.

My friend was getting very frustrated because he couldn't barely hit a 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards with his Mosin Nagant standing. I gave him my Marlin .22 and told him he should get in the habit of putting the gun on target with his body, not his muscles. After emptying my magazine, he went back to his gun, and knocked it over first shot.

If you want something that will really piss you off enough to work on your offhand all day, try 50ft smallbore 4 position. If you twitch, you're in 0 land. Haha.

-Travis

Old 04-06-2010, 03:10 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Mihm View Post
+1 to the shooting .22s. Being young and broke, all I really shoot is .22, but it sure has helped my marksmanship.

My friend was getting very frustrated because he couldn't barely hit a 5 gallon bucket at 50 yards with his Mosin Nagant standing. I gave him my Marlin .22 and told him he should get in the habit of putting the gun on target with his body, not his muscles. After emptying my magazine, he went back to his gun, and knocked it over first shot.

If you want something that will really piss you off enough to work on your offhand all day, try 50ft smallbore 4 position. If you twitch, you're in 0 land. Haha.

-Travis

QFT.

Shooting .22 offhand is the great leveller - a very difficult excercise which most definately improves your centrefire performance.

To provide an example, our club rimfire metallic silhouette competitions (@ 40/60/77/100m) generate scores of about 10-16/50 in shooters who are classifed as Master Grade service rifle shooters; ie they score in the high 80s-90s/100 in the centrefire comps.

Just shows how hard it is!

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 05-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #14

Default Two Words

Dry Fire. Put a 3/4" black dot 20 feet away and dry fire at it offhand. Set up your position as described here for natural point of aim (not the one where you're waving all over, the one where you close your eyes, do one breath cycle and see where you need to move your body to realign with the aiming black). Work on building a proper position and dry fire 20 times a night 2 to 3 times a week and watch your scores go up. I did this all winter and fired a 94 offhand a couple weeks ago in a service rifle match. A year ago I was more like improved cylinder, lucky to score in the 70's.

Dry Fire; the best free thing you can do with your rifle.

Roy

Mark 16:16, not optional.