Volunteering in the Army - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Volunteering in the Army

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I got the same advice as Yunus from many of my friends before I started my service, never be first, never be last.

I did volunteer many times though. During the basic training I was usually one of the first to volunteer since I really wanted to go to the reserve officer school and my brother told me this would help me getting there (showing you were motivated etc.). When the first stage of NCO course started I was starting to feel a bit unmotivated ´cos I thought I wasn't doing so great but eventually was chosen to go to the ROS (or RUK, Reserviupseerikoulu in finnish) and really loved my time there.

Old 12-27-2010, 06:31 PM   #12

Sarge,
you had a shooting team! the MC, had a great baseball team most reservist who were playing pro ball and got in the MC resevre to avoid the army's 2 year hitch. The greatest Zoom was the Band, even in bootcamp they disappered for days on end and never stood inspection or went to swim classes or rope tying BS. Yes, volunteering was good for them,not for 03's

Old 12-29-2010, 04:45 AM   #13

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default volunteering

I almost put in to be a recruiter but then the chance to shoot thousands of the Governments ammo stole me away.(we had 5000 rds of semi-wad 45acp, 5000 rounds of .38 spl wad cutters, 5000 rds of 45acp 230 gr hardball and as much .22LR as we wanted, issued to us every year.))
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Old 07-26-2011, 02:20 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great story Sarge.

Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #15

Great story, and thank you for your service!

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 08-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #16

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default Shooting handguns

Here is why I stayed in the Army for 24 yrs.

After my 6 yrs with the Army I took a break in service and went to college. It was all paid for by the GI Bill and I got a check for living expenses every month. (I was married and had 2 boys by that time) After I graduated and got a civilian job, a old Sargeant talked me into joning the Army National Guard. I found out later he just wanted me on his pistol team which he was the team coach. That was fine with me because instead of going on 2 weeks summer training we went to 2 weeks of pistol matches. We checked out Army sedans and stayed at very nice hotels with all our meals paid and with expense money added on to our TDY check. When we went to the Nationals (if we won the reginals we got to go to the Nationals), then we flew to the Nationals. Got rental vehicles and again all expenses paid. Now when time came around for me to reenlist, I was waiting at the door. Who could resist or turn down using some of the finest guns made, and 5000 rds per pistol (3 centerfire pistols per team member and one .22 Target pistol) just for practice every year. I still have some of that practice ammo cause I quickly learned that I could just shoot 500 rds and then reload the cases for more than enough practice. You would have to beat me with a ball bat to get me to turn away from all those perks.
Of course reupping all the time did get me enlisted long enough to get caught up in the Desert Storm expedition. Which gained me a few good whacks from the Lt. in my life. (Lt. Linda) But what the heck, I was a good shot anyway.
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge