Vision correction

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Vision correction

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Default Vision correction

This problem is one most older shooters must face. I have been struggling as I age with corrected vision and target shooting. I am mainly a hand gunner and use contacts, although I own bifocal glasses.
It seems like I have a choice of seeing my gun sights clearly, or the target clearly, but not both. Full distance correction really doesn't work for me, since I have always relied heavily on a classic sight picture. I shoot best, when I use a reading contact lens in my right (sighting) eye. That way I get a clear sight picture, but a useless target picture outside of ten yards.
I have tried a contact lens cutting the difference half way, but I find I shoot best with a reading lens, if I can figure out where the center bullseye is!
How do the rest of you older competitors deal with the dual vision issue?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2012, 05:33 AM   #2

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

I'm actually younger, but I don't have the best vision. I just aim at the darkest spot of the blur and that's usually the center.

-Matt

Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3644

Gettin old sucks but its better than the alternative.
I have a hard time seeing the rear sight. so I concentrate on the sight at the end of the barrel. Put it on my target. Pull the trigger,

Old 10-07-2012, 06:59 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well normally when you shoot competition, you are supposed to see the sights fully clear and in focus and the target should only be a blurr.
This sight picture will enable you to concentrate better on the sights!

I don`t knoe, if you can get it in the US, but here in germany, there is a company that makes a special lens called "Vario Lens".
The Vario Lens is a liquid filled lens, that can change the visual correction up to several dioptrin, so you can change the correction in a way, for you to see the sights cristal clear and and the target as a blurr.

http://www.variolens.de/

The only problem is, that it will not work, if you have an optical cylinder in your correction.

Contacts are normally not the best choice for target shooting, since you leave your eye open quite a while without blinking and that causes some irritation. Next to that, contacts move in your eye, so specially if you have an optical cylinder, the movement can alter the vision.

All this of course, is depending on what type of competition you shoot. ISSF type (olympic type shooting) or more dynamic like IPSC, etc.?

Now waht you can do aswell is, go to a good optometrist and have him measure your eyes.
If possible and the optometrist permits it, take along your main target firearm and have him measure your vision while youre aiming and he should alter the correction solong, untill you soo the sights crystal clear.
With that correction, you can either have Rx insert for the protectionglasses made or a specifit pair of shootings glasses.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 253 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog
Well normally when you shoot competition, you are supposed to see the sights fully clear and in focus and the target should only be a blurr.
This sight picture will enable you to concentrate better on the sights!

I don`t knoe, if you can get it in the US, but here in germany, there is a company that makes a special lens called "Vario Lens".
The Vario Lens is a liquid filled lens, that can change the visual correction up to several dioptrin, so you can change the correction in a way, for you to see the sights cristal clear and and the target as a blurr.

http://www.variolens.de/

The only problem is, that it will not work, if you have an optical cylinder in your correction.

Contacts are normally not the best choice for target shooting, since you leave your eye open quite a while without blinking and that causes some irritation. Next to that, contacts move in your eye, so specially if you have an optical cylinder, the movement can alter the vision.

All this of course, is depending on what type of competition you shoot. ISSF type (olympic type shooting) or more dynamic like IPSC, etc.?

Now waht you can do aswell is, go to a good optometrist and have him measure your eyes.
If possible and the optometrist permits it, take along your main target firearm and have him measure your vision while youre aiming and he should alter the correction solong, untill you soo the sights crystal clear.
With that correction, you can either have Rx insert for the protectionglasses made or a specifit pair of shootings glasses.
I had cataracts in both eyes corrected to distance vision then I had shooting glasses made to +1.25 diopter. This lets me see the sights sharp and lets me see well enough to also see the target out to at least 25 yards. You may need a different correction. The brighter the lighting, the more depth of field (the distance from sharp close to reasonably sharp far) you will have.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 10-08-2012, 01:13 AM   #6

Liked 699 Times on 479 Posts
Likes Given: 719

I've been wearing glasses for distance since I was 7. I was told 2 years ago I also needed reading glasses. BS. The type of lense makes all the difference. There is one plastic lense in particular that sucked for shooting and I went back the following day a ordered what I use now. They were free as they told me the cheap lenses would work fine.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #7

As mentioned above, depending on the type of competiton/target shooting, you want to see the front sight clear and the target as a blurr.

So what one wants, if my brain is working at the moment, is a correction glas for near sight.
You don`t want to see far, you want to see near. Near in this case is from your face to your front sight.

If you correct your eyes in a way, that you see both in focus, you will not really concentrate on the front sight and that will reduce your overall concentration.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:48 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Thanks all, I think I am on the right track then from the majority of the posts. I am finding my best results corrected near where I get a classic sight picture clearly. This of course leaves the target blurred. I just need to correct to a happy medium. The blurred target is fine at 10 yards, but when you get me out to 25 yards, the blur is bad enough that I can't discern the center. I can see the target, but not well enough to place my sights on center. I guess it is just a compromise.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #9

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

I'm actually better than I was when I was younger; I now use my dominant eye.

Old 10-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide View Post
Thanks all, I think I am on the right track then from the majority of the posts. I am finding my best results corrected near where I get a classic sight picture clearly. This of course leaves the target blurred. I just need to correct to a happy medium. The blurred target is fine at 10 yards, but when you get me out to 25 yards, the blur is bad enough that I can't discern the center. I can see the target, but not well enough to place my sights on center. I guess it is just a compromise.
If you do target shooting, you mostly have more precision, when not aiming dead center, but adjusting your sights so you aim just below the black center of the target.
The sight picture should look about like this: