Value choices F-Class?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Value choices F-Class?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Value choices F-Class?

Hi everyone:
I'm a newbie to this forum and firearms in general so please excuse my level of knowledge. I'd like to become involved in F-class style long range target and related events. I need everything so I'm looking for best bang for buck choices. Rifle, optics, the works. I'd like to stick a factory package deal if possible, because I don't have the skill for custom work.. Wouldn't know what to ask for yet. I don't have budget restrictions, but I don't want to throw money at it either. Any opinion on any subject would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2009, 08:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougG View Post
I don't have budget restrictions
CheyTac 408

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #3

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

To be competative in F-Class your not going to be buying a off the shelf package deal. You'll have to have a rifle built. Trued reciever, custom barrel, aftermarket stock, trigger, etc... Thats not to say you cant buy a good used rig already set up for F-Class if you look for awhile.

To decide which class you would like to build a rifle for go to this site http://www.nrahq.org/compete/rules/fullbore_07.pdf

Then go to page 43 of this pdf file page titled 22. F CLASS RIFLE RULES

There is F-Class Open Rifle (F-O) and F Class Target Rifle (F-TR)

(F-TR) would be the more commen events in F-Class

At the range I go to there is more (F-TR) than (F-O) events and we have a 1000 yard range. However the club here has their own events and alot of guys shoot (F-O) rigs.

I myself have a (F-O) rig being built in .300 Win. Mag. on a Remmy 700 chassis. I will be building a (F-TR) rifle sometime in the future.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-09-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 10-09-2009, 09:50 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have NO IDEA about competitive shooting (unless it is an animal i'm competing with), but i saw an "F class" rifle for sale on thefiringline forum this very morning: wts wtt ftf savage f class 6.5x284------ IL
i have an fclass savage for sale. it has 20 moa base on it. it also has a vias brake. I would like to have $1000 for the gun, pik rail, and dies. the two best groups i have gotten from it are .190 and .210 5 shot @ 100 yards. the gun has a round count of 331. i will post pics in a bit. i am allways open to trades.
Seller's name is 14cm; i don't know him.

Could one of the knowledgable peeps advise the OP if this is a decent use of his funds, please? I thought it looked really cool, but i don't think the competition is a beauty contest. If i was a varmit, that rifle would leave me stinky.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #5

Thanks so far. I'll review the rules carefully, and sooner or later I'll get a handle on the lingo. I'm leaning toward .308 because of the choices available.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:11 AM   #6

.308 is good. It fits in NRA (F-TR) class. Also some ranges, like the one I go to, wont let you shoot steel matches with magnum calibers such as the .300 Win. Mag. I'm having built. The magnum rifle loads tear the jeeezes out of the steel targets.

Old 10-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

MRM is right on.

Savage may get you shooting but your going to need more rifle than that in the end. All the guys at my local f-tr shoot are using custom built rifles.

the savage will get you shooing and small groups at 100 yards don't always mean small groups at 1000 yards. You are also going to need to handload never seen too many guys shooting factory loaded stuff winning. Figure $1000 to $1200 for the Savage another $1500 to $3000 for optics. Then you are going to need a shooting mat, rests dose your F-class match note that you have to be able to carry everything in one trip (mine Does) if so then you want a special bi-pod.

The problem with the 6.5-284 is, no factory ammo for it that I know of, lapua may make some. Plus that cartridge is hard of barrels. You looking at maybe 1500 2000 rounds out of it. If you really are shooting f-class that is one season without any practice at all. Now your looking at a reloading set up. With each shoot (In my area) taking at least 150 rounds 100 rounds for record fire 50 for sighter's. Most guys bring 200 rounds to be on the safe side.

I am not trying to talk you out of doing this but being new to shooting and new to gun you may want to wait a little bit. Just having a big bank roll doesn't make you a long range shooter over night. You need to know how to read the wind, mirage, and how to dope them. 1000 yards of over .56 miles.

A 308 is going to be the cheapest cartridge to get into f-class with. That being said it is one of the poorer choices in my book, you can shoot a grand with it but there are much better cartridge choices out there.

A basic set up for me would be

Rifle: Savage F-tr in 308 $995 +20 shpping, $25 transfer fee $1040
Scope: Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope $1399.99
Rings: Badger Ord $166.00
Shooting mat: MidwayUSA Competition Shooting Mat $50.00
Bi-pod: Sinclair F-Class Bipod $199
Spotting scope: Zeiss 20-60x85 Victory FL Diascope $2499.99
Ammo: Federal Premium 308 WIN. (7.62X51MM) SIERRA® MATCHKING BTHP $36.99 for 20 rd. $370

$5723 total out put.

But you better buy a bunch of ammo all at one time. I would recommend that you buy enough ammo for the entire season at one time so your chances of getting the same lot is better. You could save some money on the spotting scope but to me that is just as important or more than the rifle scope.

Old 10-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
MRM is right on.

Savage may get you shooting but your going to need more rifle than that in the end. All the guys at my local f-tr shoot are using custom built rifles.

the savage will get you shooing and small groups at 100 yards don't always mean small groups at 1000 yards. You are also going to need to handload never seen too many guys shooting factory loaded stuff winning. Figure $1000 to $1200 for the Savage another $1500 to $3000 for optics. Then you are going to need a shooting mat, rests dose your F-class match note that you have to be able to carry everything in one trip (mine Does) if so then you want a special bi-pod.

The problem with the 6.5-284 is, no factory ammo for it that I know of, lapua may make some. Plus that cartridge is hard of barrels. You looking at maybe 1500 2000 rounds out of it. If you really are shooting f-class that is one season without any practice at all. Now your looking at a reloading set up. With each shoot (In my area) taking at least 150 rounds 100 rounds for record fire 50 for sighter's. Most guys bring 200 rounds to be on the safe side.

I am not trying to talk you out of doing this but being new to shooting and new to gun you may want to wait a little bit. Just having a big bank roll doesn't make you a long range shooter over night. You need to know how to read the wind, mirage, and how to dope them. 1000 yards of over .56 miles.

A 308 is going to be the cheapest cartridge to get into f-class with. That being said it is one of the poorer choices in my book, you can shoot a grand with it but there are much better cartridge choices out there.

A basic set up for me would be

Rifle: Savage F-tr in 308 $995 +20 shpping, $25 transfer fee $1040
Scope: Leupold 8.5-25x50 Mark 4 LR/T 30mm Riflescope $1399.99
Rings: Badger Ord $166.00
Shooting mat: MidwayUSA Competition Shooting Mat $50.00
Bi-pod: Sinclair F-Class Bipod $199
Spotting scope: Zeiss 20-60x85 Victory FL Diascope $2499.99
Ammo: Federal Premium 308 WIN. (7.62X51MM) SIERRA® MATCHKING BTHP $36.99 for 20 rd. $370

$5723 total out put.

But you better buy a bunch of ammo all at one time. I would recommend that you buy enough ammo for the entire season at one time so your chances of getting the same lot is better. You could save some money on the spotting scope but to me that is just as important or more than the rifle scope.
CP has good points here especially on having to reload your ammunition custom to your rifles COAL and your bullet seating depth or bullet clearance to the throat of the rifle. I bought a chronograph to develop my loads for example. Ahh the joys of external ballistics. This does take time in itself. But it is intrestingly fun. Factory .308 Win. ammo usually goes sub-sonic or trans sonic at about 900 yards. When this happens the bullet can "wobble" slightly in flight before it impacts on target causing looser groups. Reloading your own custom loads for .308 Win. will get you to 1000 yards without going trans sonic before that distance. Alot of the poeple out here shoot .308 Win. in 1000 yard shoots quite accurately but they all are reloading their custom loads for this. Our F matches also require you carry all your stuff in one trip and this club shoots rain or shine. We have a 1000 yard line and a 600 yard line for this range. You will be walking alot during practice or a match and it is a good idea to have your own water and snacks to carry with you. A mat is good and if you use a muzzle break it's good to have a mat under the muzzle of the rifle as to minimize the turned up bits of dirt and grass form pelting your face. Also, some matches wont allow a muzzle break (noise), most here do however.

Sierra Match King bullets are good and so is Berger long range target boattail's. I use Berger target bullets and Nozler Brass. This is all good stuff. And there is other good componets out there as well. These are just my choices and they work well for me. Very consistant in weight both this brass and bullets. Also like CP said, try to buy your ammunition or componets from the same production run batch. I, for example, buy no less than 1000 rounds of bullets at a time from the same production run batch. The same goes for primers and brass. However, the quanity for brass was 500 pieces and they seem to get better (accuracy improvement) after several reloads.

Another thing that will really help you alot is to find a club that shoots the F-Class matches in your area. Go out and watch them and talk to them. They usually are more than egar to welcome a newb into this sport. They can be a wealth of knowledge and usually have access to the resources when it comes to training and practicing as well as setting up your rig. It's also much more fun when you can shoot with others that are persuing the same endevor.

Last edited by mrm14; 10-10-2009 at 08:49 PM.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:03 AM   #9

Thanks to both mrm14 and cpttango30. I have a great blueprint to get started with your advice. I'll keep reading and talking to people, but I'm definitely making progress. I visited two ranges today and have more on my list shortly

Old 10-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #10

I went over the notes I've taken from the research and shooters I've spoken to regauding my future F-TR build and it looks like you'll more than likely need about a 30 inch barrel to get the .308 Win. muzzle velocities up to whats needed for 1000 yard distances. Also a 1 in 10 twist rifleing rate should be about right. The grain weight of your chosen bullet will ultimately dictate the twist rate here.