Which Takes More Talent?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Which Takes More Talent?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which Takes More Talent?

Which takes more skill (in trigger control) a single action auto or a double action only auto?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2007, 12:16 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

i have found double action in both autoloaders and revolvers to be more difficult to shoot then single action.
I do however have an ex LEO model 586 smith (.357 with 4 inch barrel and target sights) that has a double action that is very smooth and it "stages" so you get to focus on the last sight alignment before you let it go. almost as nice as a single action.
Bob

Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #3

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Default Single or Double action

With either one I always cock the hammer so that when squeezing the trigger on a double action causes you to pull off target. Cocking the hammer allows you to not pull so much. I have not used a single or double action in so long I really can't remember which is best.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2950 Times on 1700 Posts
Likes Given: 1270

Talent or control?

Controlling a DAO is more difficult than a SA (one reason I like the 1911).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 07-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5795 Times on 3026 Posts
Likes Given: 394

On the range with no one shooting back dao or da/sa is just a matter of concentration on the task at hand.

When your desperately trying to deploy your firearm against a goblin intent on killing you.... its almost impossible to land hits where you want. More a matter of luck than anything. Its why i carry a xdm or 1911. Both are single action. There us no need for the trigger to cock the firing pin like in a dao, dasa, revolver, glock, m&p. Its the same trigger pull everytime.

Im not saying you cant use them effectively but eliminating as much monkey business as you can between getting a round centermass may mean the difference between life or death. I carry an xdm over a 1911 because the there is only a grip safety on the xdm. All i gotta do is point and shoot. Trigger pull is the same light pull everytime no stacking or mushiness.

For pure target shooting it takes a LOT of effort for a 1911 to get anywhere near the crispness that can be produced in a revolver single action trigger. Sig has a target version of the p226 that is simply mind blowing in single action.

Anyway those are my thoughts take em for what any interweb opinion is worth.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1253

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerCav View Post
I do however have an ex LEO model 586 smith (.357 with 4 inch barrel and target sights) that has a double action that is very smooth and it "stages" so you get to focus on the last sight alignment before you let it go. almost as nice as a single action.
Bob
I have a 6 inch 586. It is just like the one in my avatar. That is the smoothest double action I have ever fired. And in single it is probably as good as my 1911.

But I can shoot just about any single better than a double.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.