Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Competition Shooting (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/)
-   -   Which Takes More Talent? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f48/takes-more-talent-339/)

mcsmithy 05-09-2007 04:16 PM

Which Takes More Talent?

Which takes more skill (in trigger control) a single action auto or a double action only auto?

formerCav 05-10-2007 12:16 AM

i have found double action in both autoloaders and revolvers to be more difficult to shoot then single action.
I do however have an ex LEO model 586 smith (.357 with 4 inch barrel and target sights) that has a double action that is very smooth and it "stages" so you get to focus on the last sight alignment before you let it go. almost as nice as a single action.
Bob

Nighthawk63 07-12-2012 06:05 AM

Single or Double action

With either one I always cock the hammer so that when squeezing the trigger on a double action causes you to pull off target. Cocking the hammer allows you to not pull so much. I have not used a single or double action in so long I really can't remember which is best.

danf_fl 07-12-2012 11:16 AM

Talent or control?

Controlling a DAO is more difficult than a SA (one reason I like the 1911).

JonM 07-12-2012 12:06 PM

On the range with no one shooting back dao or da/sa is just a matter of concentration on the task at hand.

When your desperately trying to deploy your firearm against a goblin intent on killing you.... its almost impossible to land hits where you want. More a matter of luck than anything. Its why i carry a xdm or 1911. Both are single action. There us no need for the trigger to cock the firing pin like in a dao, dasa, revolver, glock, m&p. Its the same trigger pull everytime.

Im not saying you cant use them effectively but eliminating as much monkey business as you can between getting a round centermass may mean the difference between life or death. I carry an xdm over a 1911 because the there is only a grip safety on the xdm. All i gotta do is point and shoot. Trigger pull is the same light pull everytime no stacking or mushiness.

For pure target shooting it takes a LOT of effort for a 1911 to get anywhere near the crispness that can be produced in a revolver single action trigger. Sig has a target version of the p226 that is simply mind blowing in single action.

Anyway those are my thoughts take em for what any interweb opinion is worth.

Rick1967 07-12-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by formerCav (Post 1167)
I do however have an ex LEO model 586 smith (.357 with 4 inch barrel and target sights) that has a double action that is very smooth and it "stages" so you get to focus on the last sight alignment before you let it go. almost as nice as a single action.
Bob

I have a 6 inch 586. It is just like the one in my avatar. That is the smoothest double action I have ever fired. And in single it is probably as good as my 1911.

But I can shoot just about any single better than a double.