Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > Starting IDPA

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Starting IDPA

I'd like to fill a few weekends that were just range time with some IDPA. There are a couple places near me that have monthly shoots. Even though I carry a lot, none of my carry guns seem to fit well into the IDPA. That opens the market for a new gun (like I need a reason), and that decision seems complicated. A 9mm would be ideal based on ammo prices, even with reloading. There seems to be a cult-like following for the Glocks, particularly the 17/34, in this type of shooting. I've owned Glocks, and can shoot them. Leaving out another fine (and potentially less expensive) pistol would be a shame. XDs I've shot are great gun but my exposure is limited. Zero trigger time with the M&Ps.

I'd love to shoot a wheel gun but the southpaw status is confounding my reloads.

Any guidance for this new comer to the pistol sports?

Thanks....

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Well you can start here and see how, what, why and the rules of the sport. Much easier this way than explaining, but if you have any questions afterwords, please ask.

International Defensive Pistol Association

http://www.idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

IDPA is divided into five (5) divisions that are entirely separate. None of the following divisions compete against any other division: Stock Service Pistol (SSP); Enhanced Service Pistol (ESP); Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP); Enhanced Service Revolver (ESR); and Stock Service Revolver (SSR). The type of firearm the competitor uses will determine in which division he shoots. Pistols shall be classified first by action, then by caliber. Your XD would be fine if you wanted to use it.

When I competed, I used a Wilson KZ.45 1911 and a S&W M&P 9mm, both. The 9mm and .40's are more common in use, manly because of ammo prices these days. What ever handgun and caliber you are comfortable shooting, should suffice.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #3

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I do some IDPA shooting and would highly recommend looking at the S&W M&P's. I own 2 a 9c and a 9Pro. Also, I have a buddy who is a southpaw like you and he owns multiple M&P's in various calibers and sizes and swears they are one of the most lefty friendly guns he has shot, obviously YMMV.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Unlike USPSA/IPSC, IDPA is more focused on pistols you'd carry versus full blown "race guns". While I've never gotten really into it myself, we have a very active group here and I know a lot of the folks well. The goal as they have explained to me is to get realistic quality practice with your carry gun - so maybe a new gun isn't necessary? Considering you need all the gear (holsters & mag carriers) as well as the gun, your normal carry makes sense...

Old 01-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #5

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

What are your carry guns?

I've been playing the game for a while, and Ive shot it with quite a few different guns.

G17
G20
G24
Kimber pro carry ii
Kimber stainless target ii
Steyr m40
M&P pro

The 34 is what I'm using now.

You can find second Gen G17s for 300-350, that's affordable.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:00 PM   #6

Quote:
What are your carry guns?
LCP
FEG PA-63 Makarov
RIA 1911 (two different ones)
J-frame .38 (that I cannont reload well being a lefty)

I open carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk that is too long for IDPA

Noticeably missing is the 9mm. As I will need a TON of practice, the money saved on ammo vs .45acp. For the price of a few thousand rounds, perhaps even reloads, I could add a gun to beat on and carry.

I am going to look at the M&Ps tomorrow. I might see if a used G17 is available at any of my local shops.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #7

Liked 123 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Where are you located?

Your local shops will want more than the prices I quoted. That's a private party price. BUT, depending on local transfer fees, I know of a dealer who has them in stock for what I mentioned.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-10-2011, 12:40 AM   #8

I'm in Northeast PA. The gunshop 2 miles from my house does not have any used Glocks (and hardly any used guns at all). I'll take a trip to a couple larger shops and see what is out there. If I find a used G17 for $300, it's coming home with me.

Old 01-17-2011, 12:40 AM   #9

If you have the mag holders, enough magazines & a holster for a 1911, why not try the game with one of your RIA's?

If you're riding' ahead of the herd, take a look back every now and then to make sure it's still there.

Will Rogers

Old 02-20-2011, 04:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
LCP
FEG PA-63 Makarov
RIA 1911 (two different ones)
J-frame .38 (that I cannont reload well being a lefty)

I open carry a Ruger Super Blackhawk that is too long for IDPA

Noticeably missing is the 9mm. As I will need a TON of practice, the money saved on ammo vs .45acp. For the price of a few thousand rounds, perhaps even reloads, I could add a gun to beat on and carry.

I am going to look at the M&Ps tomorrow. I might see if a used G17 is available at any of my local shops.
I bought a p250 in 9pm a few years ago because I could not afford to shoot my G21 anymore. The gun has gotten a bad rap because it is DAO and so much cheaper then the rest of the sig line up. The gun is super accurate with good night sights and you can swap the mag release to either the left or right side of the frame. It took some time to get used to the long trigger pull but it is smooth and in 9mm you can afford to practice all you want.

I later got into reloading and have been kicking myself eversince for selling my glock. I just recently bought a new SA range officer to make up for missing my .45 for so long!

If you do get into reloading and can shoot lead, I am loading 9pm for about .09 a round and .45 for about .13-.15 a round. So you could cheaply get into reloading and load what ever you want a still save money on not buying a new gun.

Mala Malis Facimus