The Sky Marshalls and the US ARMY - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting >

The Sky Marshalls and the US ARMY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm sorry, am I the only person that thinks the Captain came across as a jackass?
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 12-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #12

Liked 2155 Times on 1181 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

When I was in the army, I flew from Fort Gordon, Ga to Camp Pendleton, Ca. I had a lighter that looks like a gun. As I went through security I pulled it out of my pocket and tried to hand it to the agent. They just about pissed themself. They said, "you can't take a gun on the plane!" I said "It's a lighter" I lit it. They were not amused! I lost my lighter. But made my flight. I think things would have turned out differently today.
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
I'm sorry, am I the only person that thinks the Captain came across as a jackass?
Maybe just a little but then again some people just have it coming to them. I have flow with my guns in checked baggage and never have had a problem but i know how some people can be when presented with situations they cant see the big picture and try to stick to what their little card tells them to do. For instance while bringing my father to Dover Air force base to deploy to either Somalia or Bosnia he had a m-16 in a locked case in the trunk that he was issued by his unit and the guard at the gate almost pissed himself and held us until he could figure out what to do. In the end some people need to just listen to whats being said and pay attention to whats being said and they would be a lot better off
Mossburg 500
Beretta 21a
Chiappa 1911-22
mosin nagant 91/30
so many others on the wish list and so little money

Old 12-30-2010, 09:19 PM   #14

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
You must not fly a lot. We went by plane a half a dozen times a year with our guns and we got all kinds of receptions. The real jackass was the clerk and he got his come-uptance. Most generally we were serviced by responsible and knowledgable airline personal. After all we were in uniforms for crying out loud.
Sarge
Sarge

Last edited by sarge_257; 12-30-2010 at 09:23 PM.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:59 AM   #15

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
You must not fly a lot. We went by plane a half a dozen times a year with our guns and we got all kinds of receptions. The real jackass was the clerk and he got his come-uptance. Most generally we were serviced by responsible and knowledgable airline personal. After all we were in uniforms for crying out loud.
Sarge
I don't fly a lot, but I have flown with weapons before on official orders in and out of uniform before.

The clerks I've got have been knowledgeable for the most part but on my way to Afghanistan that guy was a bit confused and a bit rude with me, but we were able to get through it all with out me racking the slide of my M9 in some grandiose display of jackassery to prove I had no ammo.

Even if I got a clerk with an extra helping of jackass, I'd like to think I'd have the good sense not to be the instigator of some issue. ESPECIALLY in uniform.

I personally prefer to not intentionally go out of my way to make my life harder than it needs to be.
"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 01-01-2011, 04:13 AM   #16

Default racking the slide

To each his own.
My Captain was not a jackass nor an instigator. I was surprised to see what he did. But the real jackass asked him to do it. So he complied. After all Captain asked to go to a safe room to check the guns and the jackass refused.
Sarge
Sarge

Old 01-02-2011, 04:27 AM   #17

Liked 194 Times on 136 Posts
Likes Given: 316

I remember heading into Buffalo International on our teams' trip to San Antonio for the sporting clays national championship.....Fifteen 12-16 year olds hauling case after case each with a shotgun or 2 in em.....We all wore bright green shirts with shooting team printed large on the backs and people could NOT stop gawking....I will never forget when we checked the guns haha...people to the sides and behind us were muttering and whispering...pretty sure i heard a "Hope theyre not on my flight" comment.....pretty sure it was the clerks first time seeing a gun too hahaha

Old 01-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #18

Default guns

There is a lot of ignorance concerning guns and it is fostered by the TV and the news media. I was happy to read your post. We need more youth competing in the State and National levels. Unfortunately there is a shortage of adults that have the time and skills to train them and go with them to them to the matches.
Maybe that is where we retired old shooters should be taking up the slack.
Sarge
Sarge

Old 02-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I did not have guns, knives,club or brass-knuckles but I spent 5 hours in a quiet room isolated almost forgotten compliments of the TSA before even being interogated and another three before being released maturely I missed my flight, and unable to get another flight and not being able to afford the cost of another ticket and spent the holiday at home and alone, because I had a set of "ENGLISH DARTS" that I forgot about in my computer case when I tried to go to Austin for Thanks Giving 2 years ago to spend the holiday with my son and missed my flight. The guy at the x-ray machine decided he needed to physically check the computer case after going through his machine.

Budd

Old 02-14-2011, 04:25 AM   #20

Default darts

That is just about as moronic as the finger nail clippers. If someone jumped up with a pair of finger nail clippers in his hand and yelled ALLA IS GREAT or some such foolish saying I have no doubt the "REAL" men on the flight would beat the holy hell out of that horses a$$.
Sarge
Sarge