The Sky Marshalls and the US ARMY
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Competition Shooting > The Sky Marshalls and the US ARMY

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 04:33 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default The Sky Marshalls and the US ARMY

Sky Marshalls and the US Army

Back in the 1980's we had some hijacking of commercial planes and the word Terrorist was just coined. Just in time for the US ARMY and it shooting teams. It happened like this:

Sarge was a member of the Colorado State Army Pistol Team and this year the team was HOT! We had taken all the local matches, the reginal matches and the Forcecom Match. An it was a good year for the other Colorado teams, following our lead the State Rifle Team and the State Machine gun team all came out on top. So we all were on our way to the National Armed Forces Matches at Little Rock, Arkansas. Camp Robertson was now the official National Match range for the US Army Reserves and National Guard. This is where the State teams battled to see who would win the National Title.
Because of all three teams qualifying the State ran out of Air Transportation and was forced to send all three teams by Commercial Air Transportation.
So here we were at the Denver Airport. First in line was the Pistol Team, then the Rifle Team, and then the guys that had to carry their weapons and equipment in with fork lifts, the machine gun team. I might add that we all were in uniform, combat fatigues with berets.

And the civilian Airport ticket seller whipped out a plasticized list of things you could not take on an air plane and began to read it out loud. Our Team Captain had all our sets of orders and the paper work for our baggage and tickets. When the Airline employee got to "GUNS" Our Captain said "Yes" and the guy kept reading for a couple more lines before he realized that the Captain had answered. He stopped. Looked at the Captain and said "I beg your pardon, did you just say 'Yes' to something?" The Captain repeated himself, "You asked if we had any guns and I said 'YES'."
This really upset the guy and he pawed through the drawer to find something that he obviously was suppose to keep handy or know the contents of. Pulling another list of instructions out he announced to us that he was suppose to physically check each and every firearm to assure himself that they were empty and no ammunition was present. Then they would have to go in the cargo hold of the plane.
"OK" agreed the Captain, and asked "Where can we go to check our baggage"
"You are not going anywhere until I check each and every gun, where are they?" the employee replied and in a haughty tone of voice. The Captain was not used to being addressed like that and he looked over at Sarge and winked. He then turned back to the clerk and said, "These 12 boxes here, pointing to our pistol boxes on the floor, each have 4 to 5 high power pistols in them. The long boxes of the 10 guys behind us all have 2 ea. AR 16 high power military rifles in them and the 6 guys back there have 6 machine guns in their big boxes. The clerk damn near fainted and started to pushing buttons and yelling for the police. Then the Captain picked up his Pistol Box and set it on the counter, opened the side door and pulled out a Colt 1911A1 45 acp. He held it up high in the air and slapped the slide back with a very convincing sound.
Silence............. And then screams! and running feet. Bodies falling in a dead faint. A couple of hippies in beads and long hair wet their pants and the sound of sirens rent the air. Captain handed the Colt to the Airlines employee for him to check and stepped back with his hands in the air in a classic "I surrender !" position. Here came the Sky Marshalls and they all had their guns out and pointed at Mr. 'Know it all' Airlines Employee. He turned absolutely white in the face. Then the Captain turned and addressed the point man Sky Marshall, "I told him we should go to the safe room to check the guns for ammunition but he insisted they had to be checked here.
Good thing we were a couple of hours early at the airport. I wonder if that Airlines clerk works for TSA now.
Sarge

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge

Last edited by sarge_257; 12-23-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-23-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

Default Life Story

sarge_257: Sir, another interesting ''life'' story

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 12-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

The girl at the metal detector told me I was not allowed to bring my pocket knife into the LA. Kings hockey game. Not quite as dramatic.

Great story Sarge.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 12-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
The girl at the metal detector told me I was not allowed to bring my pocket knife into the LA. Kings hockey game. Not quite as dramatic.

Great story Sarge.
I remember an article in the newspaper telling about all the many knives that have been hidden in the planters in the airports.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8894 Times on 3851 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

Sarge- not meaning to hijack thread- but I LIVE on airplanes. One day I will forget that I have a mini Swiss Army or a leatherman in my computer bag, pocket, etc. In the computer bag is a padded, stamped self addressed envelope. Drop item in envelope, seal, drop in mail, get it back.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Sarge- not meaning to hijack thread- but I LIVE on airplanes. One day I will forget that I have a mini Swiss Army or a leatherman in my computer bag, pocket, etc. In the computer bag is a padded, stamped self addressed envelope. Drop item in envelope, seal, drop in mail, get it back.
Yeah C3 as things got worse and worse in airports, I too carried cushioned yellow envelopes with press to stick flaps. You never knew what their next crazy ban would produce. Maybe fountain pens or ball points? Personally I think if they just had a rack of guns inside the Captian's cockpit and every employee including the flight attendents well trained in firearms we wouldn't have any hijacks. And let the public know with signs in the airport and in the plane.
Sarge
ATTENTION PASSENGERS:
THE EMPLOYEES OF THIS AIRLINE AND OF THIS AIR PLANE ARE ARMED AND TRAINED TO STOP ANY ATTEMPT TO HIJACK OR DAMAGE THIS AIR CRAFT.
YOU ARE WARNED
Wouldn't that have the left wing liberals screaming and pissing their pants.

Sarge

Old 12-24-2010, 03:07 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8894 Times on 3851 Posts
Likes Given: 1393

Congratulations, Sarge. You have just descibed El Al Airlines- the state airline of Israel. The folks that have never had a sucessful hijacking aboard one of their aircraft.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge_257 View Post
I wonder if that Airlines clerk works for TSA now.
Sarge
Yes, Sarge. That clerk now works for TSA and is still at Denver Intl. I have had the pleasure of meeting him and spending a couple of hours in his company. Insert heavy sarcasm...

DIA SUCKS when it comes to flying with guns.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-25-2010, 12:15 PM   #9

HAhaha....Good story Sarge!

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 12-25-2010, 10:31 PM   #10

Default M14

That it does. But for our team we had to use it. After our little "set too" we would ask up front to go to the security room to have our firearms checked. We found on old soldier on the payroll that loved to work the actions on our pistols and always asked for him to check us. When I moved back to Denver from Anchorage, Alaska I sent all my guns home via UPS and FEDEX. Had a little trouble with FEDEX but I flashed my FFL license and my Private Investigator badge at the clerk and she fell all over herself giving me the best and fastest service. (for the gun shipment that is) LOL
Sarge

Sarge